Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Mike Stop Continues
Human being with feelings

Default ReaMenus - the better menu set

Download the newest version on Github!

----

REAPER's default menu set is too disorganized! It's off-putting to newcomers and makes the REAPER seem like it isn't the best DAW on the market.

Here comes ReaMenus to the rescue: my attempt to make REAPER easier for newcomers and at the same time, demonstrating the superb feature-set that we Reapers love so much.

As ReaMenus is meant to be of use to the entire community, please feel free to make as many suggestions as you can to help improve the set.

Remember ReaMenus values are as follows:
  1. Easy/Usable (clarity, most used features on top)
  2. Organized (LABELS, context sensitivity)
  3. Feature-rich (as much as can be easily found)
  4. Small size (max-height: 600px, as narrow as possible)
  5. Up-to-date (always updated with most recent REAPER and SWS features)

Installation:
  1. Save the menu set file to your computer.
  2. Inside REAPER, go to Options->Customize Menus/toolbars...
  3. Click Export->Export ALL menus/toolbars to ReaperMenuSet... and save your default set.
  4. Click Import. Open ReaMenus.ReaperMenuSet. (Don't worry if REAPER appears to freeze on older machines. Give it time, and your new menus will be imported properly!)
  5. You're done!
  6. If after using ReaMenus, you'd like to bring your own customized menus back, you can Import them, and only the menus that you previously customized will be restored. If you only wish to import certain of your old menus, you can edit your saved .ReaperMenuSet file and remove entirely each menu you want to discard before Importing.
  7. If for any reason you want to revert to the default menu set, simply use the Reset button in the Menu/Toolbars... dialog.

Notes:
ReaMenus depends on REAPER 4.62 and SWS Extensions 2.4.0.3. To my mind, REAPER is not complete without the SWS extensions. I'd love to see it's functionality folded into the core.

Special Thanks
I'd like to thank everyone for your continued suggestions and support! Together, we might be able to build the best of all possible menu sets. Keep those improvements coming!

----

Download the newest version on Github!

Last edited by Mike Stop Continues; 07-10-2021 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Pointing to Oli
Mike Stop Continues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
henge

Great idea and it looks great!! I just can'e afford the time right now to test as I'mm in the middle of a bunch of stuff. Can,t wait to try it.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
semiquaver

looks amazing - looking forward to trying...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Stellar!

There's a BIT more menu-diving, but at least it's much more organized!

I recommend this setup as default, Cockos should implement it!

And yes, definitely do MIDI editor as well! It would be neat if you'd sort out the Extensions menu as well... Nicholas' SWS manual could be of help in how to sort it. I'd do it myself, but being very busy with KSP scripting, I'm not in the position to do it.

Carry on!

EDIT: I have one suggestion - shorten the Zoom menu in main arrange context. 99% of users use the mousewheel for that. I recommend it to look like this:

Code:
Zoom =>
    Toggle zoom to tracks maximum height
    Toggle zoom to tracks minimum height
    ------
    Zoom to project
    ------
    Toggle zoom to selected item(s)
    Toggle zoom to time selection/selected track(s)
    Toggle zoom to time selection/selected item(s)
<=

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-27-2010 at 01:18 PM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
jedstar2000

Nice going

The great thing is I loaded your menu sets to have a look , then loaded my partially completed set back over the top and it kept the the sets of yours that I hadn't altered. Hurray giving me a complete set.

Keep up the good work
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
JHughes
Banned

This is brill and long past due. Thank you for taking the initiative!

PS, please add a note regarding how to install/uninstall this and how to customize one's own menus.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
Curvespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Nice going

The great thing is I loaded your menu sets to have a look , then loaded my partially completed set back over the top and it kept the the sets of yours that I hadn't altered. Hurray giving me a complete set.

Keep up the good work
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

Thanks for all the hard work Mike!
Curvespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Found a typo or two.

Options->Record mode->Suto-punch selected items.

Anyways, I'm adjusting these menus VERY slightly, as they are almost perfect!

Suggestion - in View section, you don't need to mention "window" everywhere. Makes menus shorter, and still to the point!

Also, you can omit parentheses in wordings like "selected track(s)", because when you say "selected tracks" it conveys the meaning on anything that's selected, be it one or more tracks. Parentheses just make things look busier.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
... with one important proviso ... there would need to be a simple one click option for switching between this and REAPER "classic" menus.

This is because no matter how much better organized and clearer Mike's menus may be (and indeed they are), existing users will still need the option of sticking to what they know rather than having to relearn, if that's what they prefer to do.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
... with one important proviso ... there would need to be a simple one click option for switching between this and REAPER "classic" menus.

This is because no matter how much better organized and clearer Mike's menus may be (and indeed they are), existing users will still need the option of sticking to what they know rather than having to relearn, if that's what they prefer to do.
I respectfully disagree... The whole reason why our menus are a mess in the first place is due to this fear of losing perfect backwards workflow compatibility with older version. It seems like the devs aren't willing to actually push forward with improvements to the basic workflow and organization within the software because they don't want to "break" anything for existing users. Reaper is the only piece of software I've ever used that progress this way. If there is a better, more efficient way to do something, shouldn't it just replace the older less efficient way? Old users will get used to it, trust me. They will even learn to prefer it!

So much anger arises when a company like Facebook changes the layout of their page, but a week later nobody can even remember what it looked like before.

We need to make forward progress and leave the past behind once in a while, we can't just keep spinning our wheels while new features and functionality bloat up the menus and GUI out of fear of losing the old stuff.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 AM   #11
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default zoom menu q

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Stellar!

There's a BIT more menu-diving, but at least it's much more organized!

And yes, definitely do MIDI editor as well! It would be neat if you'd sort out the Extensions menu as well... Nicholas' SWS manual could be of help in how to sort it. I'd do it myself, but being very busy with KSP scripting, I'm not in the position to do it.

Carry on!

EDIT: I have one suggestion - shorten the Zoom menu in main arrange context. 99% of users use the mousewheel for that. I recommend it to look like this:

Code:
Zoom =>
    Toggle zoom to tracks maximum height
    Toggle zoom to tracks minimum height
    ------
    Zoom to project
    ------
    Toggle zoom to selected item(s)
    Toggle zoom to time selection/selected track(s)
    Toggle zoom to time selection/selected item(s)
<=
quick q - how are y'all invoking ya zoom menu?!
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
grayter1

Gat Dang It!

2010??? How in the hell did I NOT know about this?

In the last few weeks I've found ReaPack, HeDaScripts Manager and now ReaMenus.

These items have changed the game for me. I might be uninstalling a few DAW's really soon.

Thanks for this!

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon

Last edited by grayter1; 07-23-2016 at 09:02 PM.
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
musicroom

Thank you so much! I started to take on this job the other day and now I'm glad I waited! Loving it!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
todd24

1,000,000 times better.

YAY!!!!

You guys freakin rule.
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
netnoggin

Wow. Simply wow. A friend and I have many times talked about the one thing most visibly lacking in Reaper - a sane menu layout. This important bit of polish on a great product puts it right over the top. Great work!
netnoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
musicroom

How do we get version 3? Version 2 is all I see...

Thanks,
Old 05-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #17
Bevosss

Just tried this out, nice work! It does look extremely well organised. Heres my experience in case it helps you tune it.

I use mostly keyboard shortcuts or rightclick menus myself, the top menus are in a better state now from what I checked. Im personally more interested in how the rightclick menu has changed, overall its better, but some things are slower now for me in the track menu:

1. Save track templates was a one click process before, now its under Insert - Track from template - Save etc

I would prefer a Template menu directly on rightclick, with track and project template related actions in there. I use that a LOT though, might not be for everyone, just my experience.

2. The track actions are gone now? Cut/Copy /Remove/Duplicate should be under a Track menu imo.

To be honest I only ever used Duplicate Selected Tracks, and I have replaced that with the PT duplicate macro Ctrl-D, so no biggee for me...some new user will need it though.

3. You cant look at the rightclick menu anymore and see whether a track is visible in the tcp/mcp, now you need to open up the tracklist. Also I hid one in the tcp to test it and couldnt find a way to make only that track visible again from the mcp, so I just called up the sws tracklist window from my screenset and brought it back.

4. You cant check a tracks FIPM status from a quick rightclick, now you need to navigate to Free items.

5. Automatic record arming for track...where is that now? I dont use it at all so no prob to me.

6 . Automation modes is gone...again I dont use that.

7. SWS Snapshots and Extensions are gone...I have a screenset for the snapshots, but the extensions menu was cool sometimes, eg in case I forgot the shortcut for something.

Overall pretty cool though, and I like that I can always drop to the bottom of the menu for any default menu actions missing! Just giving you an experience from someone pretty comfortable with Reapers existing system...I will try this out for a while and see how it fits after some familiarity.

Anything that really bugs me Ill just assign a shortcut or use the default menu, so feel free to ignore my opinion.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:03 AM   #18
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
2. The track actions are gone now? Cut/Copy /Remove/Duplicate should be under a Track menu imo.
6 . Automation modes is gone...again I dont use that.
I'm sure that with such a monumental achievement as this, there is bound to be the odd glitch or two, besides which I suspect there is room for genuine and valid different opinions on what should and what shouldn't be included.

For me, one of the great beauties of this system is that Mike has mapped out a system that anybody can easily adapt for their own needs, for example:

Old 05-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #19
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post

For me, one of the great beauties of this system is that Mike has mapped out a system that anybody can easily adapt for their own needs
I do know how to adapt it mate.

Some people have suggested this should be the new default for Reaper (and rightly so), so in keeping with that proposition its own default should be tweaked to optimum intuitive use.

eg if you right click on a track, you would expect track actions to be there somewhere by default, at least I think I would if I was a noob.

As I said earlier I am more a keyboard shortcut guy, I only use the menus when they are faster ie already using the mouse or forgot my shortcut.

Hopefully Mike only takes this as positive feedback! I do like it mostly...
Old 05-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #20
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
I do know how to adapt it mate.
Wouldn't have doubted it for a second ... just making a general observation, nothing more!

Quote:
Some people have suggested this should be the new default for Reaper (and rightly so), so in keeping with that proposition its own default should be tweaked to optimum intuitive use.

eg if you right click on a track, you would expect track actions to be there somewhere by default, at least I think I would if I was a noob.
Absolutely!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #21
jedstar2000

Default Mixed

Although I feel this is far more elegant and streamlined I can't help feeling theres stuff missing , I certainly cant access the same commands from the tcp menus and find adding duplication tracks slower. I have a lot less options when dealing with items also and alot of the sws actions have been relegated to the extension menu or disappeared.

I do however love the reordering of the main menus especially the options menu.

Hear in true mashup fashion is my mix of Remenues and my customized producer set this is mainly aimed at producers of electronic music (cubase refugees)
It incoperates pardes lfo's and fingers groove quantize and other creative extensions as well as a fair few custom macros .

Just for Giggles
https://stash.reaper.fm/manage_file/5....ReaperMenuSet
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #22
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Although I feel this is far more elegant and streamlined I can't help feeling theres stuff missing
I have a lot less options when dealing with items also and alot of the sws actions have been relegated to the extension menu or disappeared.

I do however love the reordering of the main menus especially the options menu.
I quite like the item rightclick menu, lots of cool actions in easy to find places. Ill have to get more familiar with it, it seems very intuitive.

Some stuff I noticed missing here:

Cut/Copy/Remove/Loop of/Selected Area of/Selected Items. Otherwise the item menus seem improved considerably to me.

Continuing...Add FX Chain is missing from the FX menu, I use that a LOT.

Last edited by Bevosss; 05-29-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #23
Tonehenge

Default grrrrr....

Where are the Reaper resources installed, specifically "menusets"?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #24
brucie

"Options", "Show Reaper resource path..."
brucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #25
Bod

Looks good, though a beginner (ie me lol) would miss "Remove Selected Track" in the TCP menu. Not sure where this would fit in the current menu structure...
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #26
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
Looks good, though a beginner (ie me lol) would miss "Remove Selected Track" in the TCP menu. Not sure where this would fit in the current menu structure...
i put it in the clipboard sub-menu on my custom mod of 004

as delete key is default for me it ok hidden in a sub folder

i did pull show in mixer/arraignment window up to the top of the menu not in a sub folder,

as time goes by i will most likely pull a few commands out of there sub folders

i also pulled out the content of the "more..." folders

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #27
metamorphosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stop Continues View Post
Download ReaMenus #007!

There's been constant criticism against REAPER's default menu set and for good reason. They're too disorganized! The default set is off-putting to newcomers and makes the REAPER seem like it isn't the best DAW on the market.
Thank you, thank you, thank you-
as a new user I have to say the above is absolutely true -
and I think there is no reason - whatsoever - why this shouldn't be the default menu-set.
These are better - in every respect. Justin should take notice - if he hasn't already!
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #28
hopi

maybe this should go in a diff thread, but after working with the toolbars and menus and actions now for some time, I really wonder if it could not be an even easier operation.

Like, instead of all the Add then select, etc., how about just drag and drop from the action to the menu's?

Even being able to select multiple actions and add them all at once would help... for example, when there are a bunch of actions like the list for show fx 1, fx 2, etc.... it would be nice to be able to just add the whole pile to a sub folder in one stroke.

OK...ever on
Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #29
pixeltarian

Default what the...

what am i doing wrong?
I'm trying to splice, I updated reaper and sws to the latest versions, but i errors and loading what it outputs deletes 95% of my toolbar.

what can I do?
I attached my menusets (before and after) if anyone wants to take a gander. the one with lots of numbers in the name is the after.
Attached Files
File Type: reapermenuset MenuSets.ReaperMenuSet (73.3 KB, 474 views)
File Type: reapermenuset MenuSets, 20100923011351.ReaperMenuSet.ReaperMenuSet (90.1 KB, 494 views)
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #30
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
what can I do?
I attached my menusets (before and after) if anyone wants to take a gander. the one with lots of numbers in the name is the after.
That is an anomaly! I'll let you know when I've fixed it.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:02 AM   #31
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stop Continues View Post
That is an anomaly! I'll let you know when I've fixed it.
thanks!
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #32
web

will there be an issue using
ReaMenus 008.ReaperMenuSet (REAPER 3.66/SWS 1.7.3#2)
with the current 3.69 release?
or shall i wait for the update to reamenus before trying it.

i'm still learning this program, and whilst the organization of the menus is one of my main irritations with it, i don't want to get into a game of constant catch-up every time i update reaper.
there's no chance updating reaper will mean some big conflict that will stop certain functions working, right?
web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #33
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by web View Post
will there be an issue using
ReaMenus 008.ReaperMenuSet (REAPER 3.66/SWS 1.7.3#2)
with the current 3.69 release?
or shall i wait for the update to reamenus before trying it.
The current version of ReaMenus works perfectly with 3.69. (The only "danger" with ReaMenus is having a newer version of ReaMenus than the current reaper/sws. And even then, all that happens is you get a few null menu actions. But 99% of the time, you're safe.)
Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #34
jeanne65
Banned

looks amazing - looking forward to trying
jeanne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #35
Coachz

Any way you can please change the Bulleted list to only have tabs for the separators (2 tabs for deeper). Word is playing hell on search and replace of bullets. Thanks ! A link to dl the file would be better to since it scrolls for like 85 pages. :-)
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #36
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Any way you can please change the Bulleted list to only have tabs for the separators (2 tabs for deeper). Word is playing hell on search and replace of bullets. Thanks ! A link to dl the file would be better to since it scrolls for like 85 pages. :-)
I'll definitely be able to improve upon the output. I was thinking of an html-file download that uses javascript to make a folding-tree structure, so you only have to look at the parts of the menus you want to see.

For now though, I've attached a doc that should help you par down the noise a bit. You'll notice that I kept the list-structure, but just adjusted the output to not display any bullets. I also condensed the line height and the font kerning. It's at 24 pages right now, but if you added a fourth column (which would require some text to wrap) or if you're willing to go down to a 7pt font, you'll be able to shrink it down to a truly manageable size.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ReaMenus 4.02 export starter.zip (248.3 KB, 491 views)
Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #37
Coachz

that printed great ! thanks so much for the menu in bathroom readable form :-)
John
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #38
daxliniere

Hi Mike,
I've added "Insert new track at end of Mixer" to the MCP Sends menu. I find it a nice ergonomic way of creating a new aux track with minimal fuss.

Even better would be a new option "Insert new track at end of Mixer and create send to this track" but that's probably outside of your powers (and besides, it's a mouthful! )
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #39
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Hey Coachz,
Instead of using Word (which can destroy the sensitive formatting), I'd recommend a free program called Notepad++
It's an excellent, tab-based text/code editor with very powerful search and replace functions.

All the best,
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #40
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Hey Coachz,
Instead of using Word (which can destroy the sensitive formatting), I'd recommend a free program called Notepad++
It's an excellent, tab-based text/code editor with very powerful search and replace functions.

All the best,
Notepad++ removes any indentation along with the bullets. It's an amazing program though.