Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2017, 03:20 AM   #1
Nip
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to do nested VCA groups?

Still trialing and out of interest look at what headroom there is regarding VCAs.

Samp has a cheapo version not nestable. But Cubase and ProTools can be nested as needed.

I tried one VCAgroup as Both for VCA.
And tried another VCAgroup as Master for above group - but this does not work it seems.

Or should this work?

But doing second group control volume on first VCAgroup - that seem to work.

Otherwise I am immensely impressed by R5.
And abilities to freeze/apply VCA into controlled tracks automation is really nice. Almost cover what Cubase and PT do - well, it covers but does not give the same visibility and control by that.

Things that could be better:
a) trim volume automation also recordable - and full parameter.
Now you can only do manual automation envelopes as I read in manual.
b) VCA and Trim automation overall - would be nice if it made a second relative movement curve above the others that are controlled(including finalized level too). Cubase and ProTools do that - then you can freeze that into final automation. I like the visualized control you have by that. A ghost automation curve kind of beside the regular.

But workaround is to make a temporary VCAgroup to control a group and you see that separately. Really nice in itself and then apply to final automation.

VCAs are really invisible since no faders or anything move - you can just see levels change on meters.

So it becomes a lot of playing through that you don't max out and get overs.

But maybe there are silly performance issues with what I look for. Reaper really is the daw that is lighter on system than any other.

And flexibility is there in Reaper too so I probably missed something.

Last edited by Nip; 06-18-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Nip is offline   Reply With Quote