Old 06-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
TDI90
Human being with feelings

Default Dynamic Split to Tempo Map

Request
- An option to send dynamic split data to a tempo map

Benefit
- Allows for tempo maps to be derived from transients of a track (kick, snare etc.)

Reason
- I am surprised it is not there already! Though I may be wrong.

Thanks
TDI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
mschnell

It seems you would like to adapt the grid to recorded live music.

This issue has been discussed in theses forums several times and there have been several different suggestions - including using the "Dynamic Split" feature, Reaper offers to locate drum hits.

I did try but I have not been able to find a user friendly (for myself) workflow. Supposedly I did not try hard enough.

I suppose it should be possible to find or do a script that supports this endeavor, but as of now I am stalled.

I seem to understand that Melodyne is able to create perfect tempo maps with a mouseclick, but I have no idea how to feed them into Reaper (and I don't have Melodyne, anyway).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-11-2017 at 02:45 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:11 AM   #3
TDI90

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm looking to adapt the timeline to an audio tracks tempo; same as what Cubase can do. I'm not looking to quantise this audio file, it needs to be the tempo master.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
This issue has been discussed in theses forums several times and there have been several different suggestions - including using the "Dynamic Split" feature, Reaper offers to locate drum hits.

I did try but I have not been able to find a user friendly (for myself) workflow.
The the ways to do it I've seen on Youtube are far from being a user friendly workflow.

But I welcome anything that makes it reasonable easy to create a tempo ,ap from a recording.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
TDI90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
The the ways to do it I've seen on Youtube are far from being a user friendly workflow.

But I welcome anything that makes it reasonable easy to create a tempo ,ap from a recording.

Masi
It should be a fairly easy thing to do; though I was very impressed with how Cubase managed to keep track of the tempo of a song during a passage with no drum transients; it just had a very wet piano sound to follow and it nailed it. That could be where it gets difficult.

That said; I was surprised I had to switch back to Cubase for what I had considered to be a basic feature.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
foxAsteria

It's of course 100% possible, just not in a super quick or direct way. One common way is to simply listen to the song, tapping a shortcut every bar to add a project marker and then use the SWS action to convert those markers to tempo markers (make sure timebase is set to time in project prefs before converting, so the audio doesn't try to adapt to the tempo). You might have to adjust these manually for accuracy before converting them.

Alternatively, ReaGate can output MIDI notes at transients for you and you can convert those to project markers, and then tempo markers with 2 SWS actions. Could be faster and more accurate that way if you happen to have a steady kick track.

One more way is the amazing SWS/BR action: "Move closest measure grid line to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut released)." Assign a shortcut to that action and try it out, it's pretty intuitive.

Look around the forums, as I'm sure there are even more methods of achieving this. You're right though, it could be a lot more straightforward.

Just be very wary of any kind of tempo mapping if you have MIDI in the project...http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=114766&page=2
Old 06-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
mschnell

If I don't find something appropriate, a friend of mine and I are considering to do a Script that might work like this (if this is possible, anyway):

Insert an empty item somewhere and with the script convert it to a "Tempo Item". Here it gets labeled with a selectable number, that is the number of bars (or beats) it is supposed to contain. It will be filled with vertical lines marking the would-be bars and beats.

If you move the cursor within the item, it gets a double-headed horizontal arrow, when it is on such a line. Moreover that line is extended on the whole screen (marking the audio above and below)).

Somewhere within the Item you can click on symbols denoting the "Range" of "Warp" operations to follow (e.g starting from -2 Bars to +7 Bars and 2 Beats)

Moreover you can mark lines to be "done" (e.g. by shift-clicking it) and not prone to be moved in a warp operation any more.

"Warp" is dragging the double-headed cursor and with it the line underneath. Here the adjacent lines (within the range and up to the next "done" line") are dragged as if they would be fixed on a rubber band.

"Warping" the edges of the Item (i.e. squeezing the item) works accordingly to just one side.

Finally you can hit a button and the Grid will be adopted to the lines via the tempo envelope so that the grid beat that had been near the left edge of the item is moved exactly on the item's edge and the following beats sit each on the item's lines.

Further enhancement could be to fetch the warp lines from dynamic-split points or midi events of other items, import a Harmony (or Cubase if available) Tempo Map file or even do an audio analysis of another item to try to find out the beat.

What do you think ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-13-2017 at 02:06 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote