Old 10-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
fladd
Human being with feelings

Default Allen & Heath ZED10FX anyone?

If so,

does anyone use it for home recording purposes? I am interested in buying one, but it seems the routing is very very limited and that it will not work in situations, where your mics are in the same room where your monitors are in. In particular I need to send the recorders signal with FX and the playback from the computer to the headphones, while simultaneously sending only the playback to the monitors (which could either be connected to the main outs or the monitor out).

The following problems seem to make this impossible:

1) When sending stuff to the recording bus, the manual says it is still sent to the mix out. So connecting the monitors to the main outs will create feedback with my mics.

2) The monitor source selector seems to be exclusive, so I can either listen to Playback OR Record OR the FX/Aux. So connecting the monitors to the monitor out will also not work.

I am a bit confused about all this. It seems my situation is the most simple recording situation to be encountered in a homestudio, but the routing doesn't allow for this (neither does any other mixer I could find, except the Mackie VLZ, but they only have effects in the very expensive models...).

Maybe I am also missing something really obvious here, so if anyone uses this mixer and has some insight information for me, please let me know, I would really appreciate this!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
planetnine

Nah, get a GSR24

>
Old 10-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Nah, get a GSR24

>
Very funny :-)
Old 10-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
shoyoninja

Hey, sorry for the delay.

You can create 2 different mixes, one on the main, and another on the AUX bus. (Set the AUX send on the mic channel, and set the playback to AUX level, on the knob).

Then you can use the AUX bus for a headphone mix (and select it to be so). The aux selector for the headphones will give you the AUX mix, not the FX bus. You can even control the ammount of FX on AUX independantly.

It will work easily.

And, you can set the monitor out to play the main mix, even setting it to have some of the mic mixed at a different level if you want to, while leaving the headphones to one of the exclusive selections (playback, aux or rec). You will not even need to use the main mix out.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by shoyoninja; 10-09-2014 at 07:49 AM.
shoyoninja is offline   Reply With Quote