Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Can anything bad come from uninstalling 32 bit reaper?

I just switched to 64 bit reaper, but I'm thinking of uninstalling 32 bit reaper.

Main reason is for file associations that seem to still be linking to 32 bit reaper, which I don't like, namely the bakup files. Not sure why they are doing this. I pointed them to open with the exe in my 64 bit folder, but they seem to still want to link to 32 bit reaper, and they appear to still be associated with REAPER rather than REAPER (x64) in the properties dialog, even right after I switch it.

So I figure if I uninstall 32 bit version, those issues will go away. But I don't want anything to break, if I do that.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:54 AM   #2
DarkStar

At the moment, if you uninstall Reaper 32-bit, then double-clicking on the project files will report a missing program won't it?

During the Reaper 64-bit install there should be a choice to associate it with Reaper project files. Try a reinstall and select that option. Please report back.

Last edited by DarkStar; 06-26-2017 at 07:37 AM.
DarkStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
Paul99

Uninstalling Reaper 32 bit is a bad idea.
There is only only one remedy against this: installing Reaper 64 bits.
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
hopi

removing reaper 32 will likely cause the end of the world as we know it... dinosaurs other monsters will return and again walk the earth... fire will fall from the sky until the waters of the great flood put it out, but by then no one will be left to care...
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
TheWhistler

I made this transition some time ago.
The only thing that happend was that reaper opened my projects in the 64 version.
As the bridging of 32 vst/vsti works so well I didnīt hardly notice.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
removing reaper 32 will likely cause the end of the world as we know it... dinosaurs other monsters will return and again walk the earth... fire will fall from the sky until the waters of the great flood put it out, but by then no one will be left to care...
But will my DAW still function correctly, is the thing.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
At the moment, you you uninstall Reaper 32-bit, then double-clicking on the project files will report a missing program won't it?

During the Reaper 64-bit install there should be a choice to associate it with Reaper project files. Try a reinstall and select that option. Please report back.
I haven't uninstalled it. I don't take any chances when it comes to my DAW. I'm very "if it ain't broke don't fix it" about it. If I change something I wan't to be sure nothing will fuck up, ol projects will open, and I won't have to spend time trying to fix anything I didn't foresee.

So I came here asking if there was a possibility that uninstalling reaper 32 bit could somehow uninstall something associated with it, or break something that I didn't expect it would. Like if I would have had to uninstall it first before installing 64 bit, and now uninstalling it will uninstall some 64 bit things I need or something.

Idk, just being safe rather than potentially sorry.

I remember reaper asked me about associations when I installed the 64 bit, but I chose not to, since I can do it manually, and I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it.

Re-installing 64bit is a safer solution though. Either way. I should have tried that.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Idk, just being safe rather than potentially sorry.
Why donīt you just install the 64 Bit version and have the 32 on the same machin - just in case?
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Why donīt you just install the 64 Bit version and have the 32 on the same machin - just in case?
That's how it is. I just want to delete the 32 bit version, so that the backup files need to link to the correct one.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Win Conway

On MacOS it pays to remove 32 bit support even on an x64 install, that damn 32 bit icon popping up and locking Reaper up first time you try to access your plugin list, is a massive dick in the eye socket !!!!!
Remove Reaper_host_i386 with all haste
Old 06-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
hopi

do you use rewire? if that is not important to you, then I'd suggest you simply do portable installs ..you could do those for both 64 and 32 bit and should have no problems....

if you currently have a lot of ini files in your 32 bit install you might save those to someplace [usb stick] before you uninstall...

you could then later try to copy and paste those into the 32 bit portable...
depending on what they are, it might work and save time... or not...

I think I'm hearing that you intend to really go for 64 bit [no reason not to IMO] so then having a 32 bit around would not be really needed...
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #12
Sound asleep

I must have a shitload of inis or at least highly modified ones, but all my configurations and everything are correct in my 64 bit install. They seemed to have all carried over nicely for the most part. It's just my templates and everything are being updated to x64 versions as I go. I have made the switch, am fully committed. I won't go back. I have no worries about removing 32 bit reaper, aside from losing anything I might want somewhere down the road, or breaking something with my 64 bit version. I do use rewire.

It's not the end of the world, if there is a risk to uninstalling 32 bit, I just won't. If definitely nothing will go wrong, then I will.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I must have a shitload of inis or at least highly modified ones, but all my configurations and everything are correct in my 64 bit install. They seemed to have all carried over nicely for the most part. It's just my templates and everything are being updated to x64 versions as I go. I have made the switch, am fully committed. I won't go back. I have no worries about removing 32 bit reaper, aside from losing anything I might want somewhere down the road, or breaking something with my 64 bit version. I do use rewire.

It's not the end of the world, if there is a risk to uninstalling 32 bit, I just won't. If definitely nothing will go wrong, then I will.
Ok well most likely you already have installed the 64 as a non portable so I'll just be quiet... but IF you did install as a portable... let me know
Old 06-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Ok well most likely you already have installed the 64 as a non portable so I'll just be quiet... but IF you did install as a portable... let me know
You sir, are right, I did.