Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 AM   #361
SpecialRich
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by steki View Post
please make this style of menu sets to the default. much better and useful!
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58672

No thanks!
I admire what they have done but I've tried them and I didn't like how they worked for me,
and here we have the issue of personal preference!

Although I see there have been some updates since I tried them a year or so ago so i might give them another go out of interest...
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #362
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialRich View Post
No thanks!
I admire what they have done but I've tried them and I didn't like how they worked for me,
and here we have the issue of personal preference!

Although I see there have been some updates since I tried them a year or so ago so i might give them another go out of interest...
I also use ReaMenus. Two things:

1) You can choose to append the default menus at the bottom, which is useful if you can't find something in ReaMenus but are used to the regular menus.

2) If they were to make something like ReaMenus the default, they could always have a "Classic" menu for old-timers. This is a great advantage that Reaper has over many competitors, advanced customization capabilities.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #363
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
There's many things I can think of. One that comes immediately to mind though is a WYSIWYG editor for WALTER.
Yes! +1
Also another walter related request: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3723
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:05 AM   #364
who1981

Default SPECTRO

I'd love to see spectrographic/spectrogram audio items as an option (in addition to waveform), you could see notes, frequency content, and beats much easier. Not just a squiggle that represents voltage/speaker movement.

Here's an OLD mockup I made:
who1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #365
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Yes! +1
Also another walter related request: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3723
Great suggestion! Just added my +1 vote.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #366
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Yes! +1
Oh... i can't wait when this will be implemented.
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #367
Nystagmus

Default Pre-FX potentiometers

Pre-FX channel input trims, preferably little tiny knobs with precision input levels (perhaps with direct data entry) similar to a hardware console... that would be nice. When I need to turn down what's flowing into a ton of VST effect chains on all channels, the channel faders are of no use currently (but the automation pre-FX volume is okay...).

Otherwise I voted for the Post-Fader FX slots which can accomplish the same thing.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #368
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Pre-FX channel input trims, preferably little tiny knobs with precision input levels (perhaps with direct data entry) similar to a hardware console... that would be nice. When I need to turn down what's flowing into a ton of VST effect chains on all channels, the channel faders are of no use currently (but the automation pre-FX volume is okay...).

Otherwise I voted for the Post-Fader FX slots which can accomplish the same thing.
I know exactly why you want this but I think it's a bit clutter. Really one uses their pre-amp to come in to the right levels and if that isn't loud enough compared to other tracks the other tracks should be brought down to the same level. There's also volume JS plugin you can put before your FX.
There is also clip gain so for e.g. you can double click the track header and then adjust clip gain for all items at once in proportion, essentially this is what you want only with a double-click before it. It's to be debated whether this is better or not since if you move the items around to other tracks they will be the same volume, whereas with an input gain knob the items would become louder/quieter when moved to other tracks. I personally would prefer them to remain the same. Although it's not 'cool' for the workflow of proper gain staging to be forced on us, it's got really good merits for it's use.

I guess this would boil down to another option in the growing options menu as to whether an input gain is displayed or not. I certainly would like to not display it if it was available.

edit: I should elaborate, proper gain staging within the DAW holds more value than just FX in/out balance. There is also the visual aspect of all the peaks on a track properly representing the actual volume being sent to the master. If I adjust volumes using clip gain only and ensure that in/out to FX are the same volume, then my arrange view is 1:1 representative of the scale of audio in all tracks in proportion to other tracks. If I were to skew this with input gain or unbalanced FX the audio wave forms no longer serve any purpose past 'here be audio' and 'here not be audio'.

I don't really rely much on it however I have found myself looking for that sorta thing when I come back to a project after some time. It really helps to see where things are at. I find it annoying when all the peaks are at the same places in the arrange and yet I am not hearing certain tracks because they are too quiet and if I come back to a project after a long time, there's a chance I may even forget that track exists for some time before I catch it.

Last edited by Fergler; 08-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #369
BobF

How 'bout ASIO device aggregation in Reaper since Windows will obviously never do it?

I could eliminate a bit of audio cabling if I could actually use the USB ports on some of this stuff
BobF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #370
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
How 'bout ASIO device aggregation in Reaper since Windows will obviously never do it?

I could eliminate a bit of audio cabling if I could actually use the USB ports on some of this stuff
I still haven't fully recovered after using CoreAudio on mac and then switching to Windows. I never knew it would be this bad. I miss being able to use my Tascam box at the same time as a USB Blue microphone that I quite like.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #371
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I still haven't fully recovered after using CoreAudio on mac and then switching to Windows. I never knew it would be this bad. I miss being able to use my Tascam box at the same time as a USB Blue microphone that I quite like.
I have a GT-001 and a THR that have USB cables connected for using control apps, but I have to use audio cables to connect them to my R24, because it is THE USB audio device configured for Reaper.

I *could* use the THR as the Reaper device if I wanted to monitor thru it, but no such option for the GT-001.

Folks have reported success aggregating with ASIO4ALL, but I'm not among them.
BobF is online now   Reply With Quote