Old 07-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
rn2114
Human being with feelings

Default Find and replace?

Hey all -

New to Reaper and audio editing (been at it for a few months editing audiobooks that a friend records) and still learning the ins and outs of Reaper. I've started to use the actions section and have built custom actions to automate some of the nitty gritty stuff that I need to do, but want to throw a question out there about something that I haven't figured out yet.

What I am wondering is if there is basically a "find and replace" function that I can use or create with a similar functionality of find and replace in word processing documents. Specifically what I would like to try and do is find in the audiobook file everywhere when there is more than .75 of a second of dead space (blank air with no talking), auto select that section, and replace it with a section of .75 second dead air. The person that I am editing for takes long pauses between sentences to breath slowly because of asthma, which means that there are no breaths to worry about taking out, but I have to shorten the dead air space between each and every sentence. I've created a macro that lets me do each individual edit with two mouse clicks and two keystrokes replacing with a set amount of dead air I have copied to the clipboard, but I have to do that for each space between each sentence and some of the files are two plus hours long. Was thinking that since the recorded waves for the dead space should be the same for each space, maybe there is a way to automate finding the sections that are the same waves of a longer duration and replacing them all at once with shorter ones?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. The way I am doing it now is working out, was just curious if there was a way to make it more automated and give me less chance of carpel tunnel
rn2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
babag
Human being with feelings

maybe you could create a fill file of .75s and create a custom action to insert it. look into ripple editing. that would allow you to paste the fill file and have the following material ripple after it.

there may be an action (sure there is, actually) to remove silence. maybe using that would ripple your sentences together. then, starting at the beginning, you could use an action to move to each item edge, inserting the fill as you go.

found this action in a post from heda:

Item: Auto trim/split items (remove silence)

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote