Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Measuring Man
Human being with feelings

Default Ctrl drag

This might be simple but I haven't seen anything in the documentation...

When I create a region and then ctrl-click drag a copy onto another part of the same track that is a continuous take, it places the file over the existing continuous region. However, I'd like it to split the region underneath, cutting out what was already there, once I place it. Right now I'm having to do it manually after I place the region I've dragged. I end up with say a guitar take that is continuous with a whole bunch of small regions on top of it. It plays fine, but doesn't create cross fades this way. I find editing this way faster and allows me to fine tune timing quicker, rather than copy and pasting, especially across multiple tracks like drums.

Anyone know if this can be done automatically, a macro perhaps?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Tallisman

I have just the thing for you! I have mapped it to [alt]+[V].
Combined with a macro to move / shift the loop selection right by the loop selection length, I think it is exactly what you need.

the image below starts with the [alt]+[V] macro and loops...
the copy portion already has a default KC... [ctrl]+[shift]+[c]
then shift the loop selection right to the spot you want it. press [alt]+[v]... shift again, this time select the item inside the loopselection and press [alt]+[v] rinse and repeat.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Measuring Man

It looks pretty close. I'll have to get to the studio and try it out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Measuring Man

It's close, but not quite what I'm after. Imagine you have 7-9tracks of recorded drums, and you want to paste a good open hi-hat over a bad one. So I select all the tracks and highlight the hit I want>

I then either ctrl-drag it or copy selected area and paste.

When I paste the region underneath where I paste stays continuous. So no cross-fades. I then have to manual split and drag the region underneath so I can do the fades, etc.

So is there a way to paste it so that the region underneath is automatically split.

I'm not looping anything. It's simple copy and paste. Is it a multiple takes issue?