Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
maxy
Human being with feelings

Default Track Lanes and selecting multiple events with the mouse

I've been messing with reaper and love so many things about it, however, I can't get past a few things and I thought I would ask if I'm just doing it wrong.

1. The track lanes - for example if I record 3 vocal passes to comp on the same track - are so weird. I can't edit the end of one lane without doing wacky stuff to other lanes etc. Logic, Cubase and ProTool all do lanes a %100 better... or is it just me?

2. You can only unfold all tracks lanes of every track in the project at the same time. You can't just do a single track??

3. Is there a way to select multiple events using the mouse (drag / lasso)? Maybe with a modifier key?

Thanks for any help or insight.
maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
serr

You are using the take mode that adds new takes as multiple audio streams to the single original item. The item edits (cuts, splits, etc) as a single item.

If your intention is to record multiple takes of overdubs in the traditional sense where each recorded take is its own item and can be edited individually as expected, select Options > New recording that overlaps existing media items > Creates new media items in separate lanes.

The multiple takes still stack up in lanes of course. But you can overdub as expected and the recorded items move/edit as expected.

My advice for recording overdubs is to make a recording track to let your new takes stack up in. Make 'arrangement' track(s) under the recording track and drop items or bits of items into your arrangement as you record them. You can always change your mind and grab alternate bits from the recording track and go back and forth until you have the comp you like. You can simply reduce the track height on your recording track or hide it altogether to get the 'clutter' out of the way.

I'll also sometimes drag an alternate version or 2 into my arrangement track and leave it muted. When you have a 2nd choice you may want to A/B a few times before committing and you don't want to lose track of it in the clutter in your recording track.

Use the other mode when you want to create multiple audio streams in a single item.

#3 Select 'selecting one item of a group selects the whole group' option in the group context menu.

Note that Reaper is selection based.
That means things selected together do the thing together - regardless of grouping or anything else. Grouping (for one example) is a tool to MAKE the selection.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
maxy

Thanks serr. I'm going to try that with the over dub stuff.

I don't think I was clear on #3. I want to use the mouse to highlight multiple items as you would on your desktop by clicking and dragging around the items you want to select. Is that possible? Does that make sense?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post
Thanks serr. I'm going to try that with the over dub stuff.

I don't think I was clear on #3. I want to use the mouse to highlight multiple items as you would on your desktop by clicking and dragging around the items you want to select. Is that possible? Does that make sense?
Yep. Check out Mouse Modifiers in Preferences.

I think default is right-click and drag is marquee select.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
xpander

Right drag with your mouse over the arrange area and/or the items to select them. You can also use the left click + ctrl/shift modifiers to select/unselect.
edit: serr already there
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You are using the take mode that adds new takes as multiple audio streams to the single original item. The item edits (cuts, splits, etc) as a single item.

If your intention is to record multiple takes of overdubs in the traditional sense where each recorded take is its own item and can be edited individually as expected, select Options > New recording that overlaps existing media items > Creates new media items in separate lanes.

The multiple takes still stack up in lanes of course. But you can overdub as expected and the recorded items move/edit as expected.
Just as a counterpoint...

Sure, The item is a container for takes, and all the takes need to be the same length, but you can still manipulate each individual take in various ways. each take can be individually slip edited, can have it's own stretch markers, volume, pan, and pitch! envelopes. (And in V5 they can be shown / hidden and you also have take FX envelopes)

If you get comfortable with the workflow, and have put in some time to work out your mouse modifiers, it really, really flows.

Punching in a phrase or 2 and having item spits doesn't bother me at all, but I do understand if it does to someone else.

But great thing is that you aren't locked into working that way.

You can even explore free item positioning. Great to have so many options. It does take time though to get your workflow down, totally worth it though.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post
Logic, Cubase and ProTool all do lanes a %100 better... or is it just me?
I think that's the thing here, thinking too much about how other DAWs do it.

The way recording in lanes works in Reaper is intended for doing comping via 'slice and dice' (search for that in the user manual for more info) and once getting the hang of it I find it incredibly fast (although took me a long time to get comfortable with it I admit).

Last edited by nofish; 07-30-2015 at 05:59 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #8
maxy

Thank you all for the input! I guess I need to spend more time. My initial impression of the lanes was a total deal breaker for me but I like so many other things about Reaper that I've come back around to see if I can figure it out.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
maxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Yep. Check out Mouse Modifiers in Preferences.

I think default is right-click and drag is marquee select.
Boom! That is the ticket. Thank you!