Old 01-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
finsterone
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper & CPU activity

Hi there,

I'm a kind of newbee with reaper, so be a little patient with me, I really do appreciate your help.
I use reaper 0.9.9.9 and noticed that working with battery 2 it happens from time to time that I get some bass drum kicks extra (always at the beginning of a new midi file) or the crash would be cut off after one second.
So I thought maybe it is a bug in this freeware version and downloaded the 1.71. Now after 3 minutes I get red flashes in the clock (always at the same position), I guess this is because I am just working with a 2000 Athlon (running with 1333 Mhz).
But why? (If I'm correct)
In the same song there are 5 tracks running simultanoiusly - no problem. At this specific point there are only three tracks: 1 midi, 2 waves.
I am kind of desperate since the song is done and I would love to mix-down the final version.
Thanx for your time and help in advance.
Is there maybe an older reaper version that might help me?

Regards

finsterone
finsterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
Jae.Thomas

could be a hiccup in the direct from disk extention... for battery 2. Is it a big kit youre running?

does this happen in other apps?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
finsterone

Default not only with battery

No, I tried loopazoid before = same phenomena. What is a hiccup?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 AM   #4
Jae.Thomas

its late and i cant sleep im sorry not the best with words right now (but of course i just keep posting and posting...)
... I guess what i mean is perhaps the Direct from disk extention of BAttery 2 (which is basically the software that tells the program how to stream from disk -- nessecary for larger sample sets with limited RAM) is having problems on your system --

it could mean perhaps your pc isnt strong enough to handle it.

are your samples off the same drive as your system and audio tracks? That could be a culprit. All in all, this doesnt sound like a reaper problem, obviously, but a pc problem. An older reaper version wont help. But maybe we can still help

have you defragmented the disk?

do you have any software fx running besides battery 2?

can you render them, if there are?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #5
finsterone

Chronologically:

I have a gig RAM - enough? I thought that the CPU is the decisive factor.

I have one audio partition what means, yes, all the samples are on one partition, also the recordings-path. I am just defragmenting this drive, will see if it helps. Will get back to you on this.

Yes, I do have other software effects running, not only on this track but on all the others (average 2-3).

What do you mean by that, going lower than 44100 HZ? Or lowering the resample mode?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsterone View Post
Chronologically:

I have a gig RAM - enough? I thought that the CPU is the decisive factor.

I have one audio partition what means, yes, all the samples are on one partition, also the recordings-path. I am just defragmenting this drive, will see if it helps. Will get back to you on this.

Yes, I do have other software effects running, not only on this track but on all the others (average 2-3).

What do you mean by that, going lower than 44100 HZ? Or lowering the resample mode?
that should certainly be enough to run battery 2 with a modest sample set (1 gig RAM) -- however, *if* it IS streaming off of your hard drive, and you have a defragmented or slow or dying hard drive, i think you will get the errors you are speaking of.

Are you partitioning ONE drive, so that the system is on one partition and the audio is on another?

This is a BAD idea.

I had this idea years back, but then when you think about it:

partitioning makes (if you do it once) two seperate areas for the hard drive to seek for files. Theres nothing wrong with this is for non-realtime stuff, i do it all the time. However, if you have a drive that is trying to access the beginning of the drive for system stuff and then jumping to the next half of the drive for audio stuff (and this is happening possibly in alternation by nanoseconds) that is REALLY wearing your hdd down, and likely not giving you any decent measure of speed from it. If you have one drive, and are limited to that, i suggest

1. getting a new drive to add to your setup (important)

2. backing up the data on the second partition, verifying it, and then deleting that partition altogether, and then putting a folder in "my documents" or somewhere and making that your temporary "recording" folder until you have the cashish for a new second audio drive

otherwise you could try disabling effects until you get the stuttering to stop. Once you do, re-enable them, and right click the wave and hit "apply fx to item" and watch em render down. then disable the fx, as they are already applied!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
finsterone

I just learned something about sample players ... I solved the problem by exchanging the crash cymbals! I guess what confused battery was that the wave-file has not finished playing and was used again. Since the volume was 100% on each hit battery had to play the same sample again and again. I just added a new crash - and that was it. I could even add more effects

Anyway, your advice helped a lot and I will keep avoiding putting the C: and the audio-partition on one drive

Thank you so much and I hope you'll find some sleep tonite

Regards from the Black Forest
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Bubbagump

Maybe a dumb question, ut why not try this with the latest greatest build? I know, it requires you pay a few bucks, but for $40, so what? It might fix your problem and add a zillion really great features.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #9
finsterone

Default @ Bubbagump

Reading carefully through this posting you will realize that I used 1.71 ... and no, 40 bucks are definitely not too much for this software once I evaluated it.