Old 07-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
chumbo
Human being with feelings

Default Action List improvements...

The sheer amount of possible actions is overwhelming!! Don't get me wrong, I love it but I'm just wondering if this wouldn't improve things just a bit to make it a more orderly and easier to browse through and find what one is looking for...

PROBLEM:
There are LOTS of Actions which are essentially identical but just apply to different things in Reaper:
Like, you could have a 'zoom to Item'; 'zoom to Envelopes'; 'zoom to track'; 'zoom to selected items', etc...etc...

They basically all do a zoom to different things in Reaper (and that's just one example but LOTS of other Actions have their sister equivalent but for some different scope in Reaper)

And they would of course all show up with a search like 'zoom', and this with all their further variants as well. So the result is still a very long list of Actions to have to read through and understand to find what one is looking for!

This makes searching and looking at the Action List kind of overwhelming..to me anyway.

SOLUTION:
Offer a browsing through Actions solution which could be column ordered where in the first column you would for ex. select the action you want to carry out, i.e. 'Zoom' then in the next column a sub-category like 'Full', 'Vertical', 'Horizontal', etc... and finally what it should be applied to, i.e. 'track', 'Item', 'Selection', etc...
Then you could also add like a radio button for a 'Toggle' option if needed for ex. Anyway, you get the idea, I guess...

Of course, as soon as the first selection is done in the first column, all the next columns would adjust to only show what further actions would apply to what was selected previously.

Last edited by chumbo; 07-01-2015 at 10:54 AM.
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
foxAsteria

I think the filtering search field we have now is about as fast as it could get. I rarely have to type more than 6 letters or so to find what i need. It's overwhelming at first, but I think that's more to do with inconsistencies with terminology (e.g. remove, delete, clear).

You know you don't even have to type entire words? It's pretty efficient, imo.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
chumbo

Sure, I can manage with it as it is also...just thought it could be a good idea...maybe not, dunno, just thought of it and wanted to throw the idea out there.
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote