Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
soul&folk
Human being with feelings

Default Dell Laptop as a DAW

I've been running Reaper on a Dell inspiron 9300 and it runs fine as long as I disable the cd/DVD drive.

Well too many family members are sharing this and it's time for me to get my own. Anyone here recently bought a Dell and have Reaper running well on it? Can you tell me the model and specs? I'd like to stick with Dell for reasons that have nothing to do with recording...

I'd like to spend only $500. $600 tops

http://www.motagator.net/bands/25/
soul&folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Lucian

Do you use USB or Firewire?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
soul&folk

right now USB, but I'd like firewire options for the future.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul&folk View Post
I've been running Reaper on a Dell inspiron 9300 and it runs fine as long as I disable the cd/DVD drive.

Well too many family members are sharing this and it's time for me to get my own. Anyone here recently bought a Dell and have Reaper running well on it? Can you tell me the model and specs? I'd like to stick with Dell for reasons that have nothing to do with recording...

I'd like to spend only $500. $600 tops

FWIW, In that range of laptop, you're not going to find a unit with a good Firewire controller. These units typically use a crap Firewire and Cardbus controller (Ricoh chipset)... so you can't circumvent the issue with a cardbus TI chipset Firewire controller.
If you're stuck on said laptop, you're pretty much forced to go with a USB audio interface.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
zerocool

I'm using a inspiron 1520( core 2 duo, 4gb,256mb 8600gt, x32 xp pro sp3) with RICOH chipset

After some tweaking (Disabling Wi-fi, ethernet, cd/dvd , uninstalling vista and re-installing xp, disabling ACPI battery client thing, disabling unnecessary services, making sure all drivers are up to date, ect.) i'm able to get DPC latencys below 100, which can be comparable to the performance of a Macbook Pro. I think the audio interface you choose has a lot to do with the performance. For example, i used a presonus firebox and it ran like shit, so i sold it and bought an echo audiofire 4, which has been excellent.

As for OP's original question - $500-600 is pushing it. With that kind of budget you would be more suited to build your own desktop and throw in a Q6600.

But , i feel you on the laptop front. After using mine for a couple of years, going back to a desktop means losing alot of the comforts i'm used to such as portability and small footprint.

Last edited by zerocool; 04-28-2009 at 11:23 PM.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
plush2

I'm using a Latitude D620 and pretty much everything zerocool said is true in my experience as well. It can work but it will have so many tweaks to services and devices it will barely resemble the original configuration.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
soul&folk

Bummer. Is there any laptop out there that does work well with firewire? I really need this to be a laptop. I do have a desktop that is old but working well for my recording needs - it's got an echo layla 20 hooked up to it and for now that's fine for me. This is all about the laptop. - The desktop is in the basement but I've been enjoying the acoustics in the living room for acoustic guitar and vocals. I've been connecting some preamps to an edirol ua-25 interface and then into the laptop via usb. It's been great. Until I explore recording with more than 2 channels at a time, that's good enough. When I record drums it's in the basement where the daw is. But I could foresee recording other musicians using the laptop where I might want to have 8 channels.

If I were to get the echol layla 24 that attaches to a laptop, am I OK? That's not firewire and fromwhat I've heard has great a/d converters.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
Fabian

I guess you've already searched the forum... but to get back to your original question (Dell laptop as DAW?), some info is here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28626
Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
stupeT

I am using a Dell Latitude Laptop in parallel with my "real" DAW. Not for recording though, just arranging, rough-mixes and stuff. Got a PCMCIA Echo Indigo in there. And the songs come from a LaCie 1 TB USB Harddrive. Latency is set rather high here so that I can work with reaper and in the background there is all that business stuff going on (firewall, anti-virsu, email). Works fine for me...
Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
wallace

I'm using Reaper on a Dell M1210 laptop with a USB connected Line6 X3Pro, Tapco midi link and a Alphatrack.
This setups works really well for me.
Very happy with the results I'm getting currently.

I will eventually get a PC with more grunt and port flexibility but for the moment, portability is what I need.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #11
d. gauss

so why don't you just buy a used dell 9300 for like 400 bucks on fleabay?
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
kirk

I'm running a dual core lattitude d830 with 4 gigs of ram. It's the same as others have said. If you have lots of tracks and plugs your gonna get glitches,however I have had 64 tracks so far running on mine with some minor glitches.I usually just apply effects to the track and remove the plugs to get rid of the glitch. But it has to be a clean setup, no virus software running etc. I'm running my office with cad software ,book keeping etc on it too. If I had it to do over I'd get the specs and chipsets I wanted and have them build it for me. I like Dell's service.I bought a TI firewire card for my express port and it works great.
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
soul&folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
so why don't you just buy a used dell 9300 for like 400 bucks on fleabay?
I might just do that!

I'll try asking the following again since nobody responded:

Will the Layla24/96 work well on a laptop via pcmcia? Has anyone successfully run Reaper with a laptop using this setup tracking 8 tracks at once?

Last edited by soul&folk; 04-29-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
valgaer

well, I have a dell inspiron 1420 core2duo 2.0 with the infamous ricoh chipset, 2gb of RAM, 160gb sata at 7200, and it works perfectly with windows XP, running reaper, using a presonus firestudio 26/26, recording 12 tracks at once and mixing projects of even 90 tracks with hardcore plugins, it has some glitches at times but overall it does the trick
valgaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
soul&folk

valgaer, what's your special secret?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
I'm using a inspiron 1520( core 2 duo, 4gb,256mb 8600gt, x32 xp pro sp3) with RICOH chipset

i'm able to get DPC latencys below 100, which can be comparable to the performance of a Macbook Pro.
FWIW, If you have a MacBook Pro (with TI chipset FW), you can get DPC latency down to about 24 uSec.
Takes a bit of tweaking...

ie: I run a MOTU 8-Pre at 64-sample ASIO buffer size playing well in excess of 128 notes of polyphony (totally glitch-free) using Cantible 2 Performer to host about a dozen soft-synths.
I've used this setup to play many 4+ hour gigs... without a single glitch/hippup. It's completely reliable.

High CPU loads at low-latency settings is where the Ricoh chipset FW controllers crap out.
In the above example, the total round-trip latency (sum of ASIO input/output buffers, A/D D/A converters, and the hidden safety buffer) is 5.35ms. Many other FW units have literally double that round-trip latency (at those same settings) due to a larger hidden safety buffer (older M-Audio, Presonus, etc).
IOW, You can't compare performance simply by looking at the ASIO buffer size in the audio interface's control panel applet.
To compare apples to apples, you need to compare performance at equal round-trip latency.

My advice with laptops is this...
If you don't absolutely need one... don't buy one.
You'll achieve far greater performance for the money with a desktop/tower/rack.

If you have high performance expectations, very few laptops actually make a great DAW. The closest you'll find to an off-the-shelf unit is a previous generation (aluminum) MacBook Pro.
After a fair bit of tweaking, the MBP (Core2Duo) works without glitches/etc (until you run out of CPU).
If you need performance comparable to a fast desktop/tower/rack, you can build a custom quad-core laptop that uses a standard (not mobile) Core2Quad CPU.
It's extremely fast... but it has the price tag to match.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Last edited by Jim Roseberry; 04-29-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
kindafishy

@ valgaer

Are you recording to an external hard drive? I am considering picking up the Dell Studio 17 for recording because it can hold 2 7200 RPM hard drives internally. Laptop + 2 HDD's + Reaper = mucho portability.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
Lawrence

^ What he said. I have a HP lappie with a second fast internal (after market) drive and it sure makes things easier.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
plamuk

http://www.laptopcloseout.com/usa/store.html

i will never buy another new laptop again.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
valgaer

kindafishy: nop, I´m recording into the laptop`s harddrive

soul&folk: well I don´t know it works fine here

of course for the money it`s way better to buy a desktop, I bought a laptop because I use it with brainspawn forte to play keyboards live... but I started to using it at the studio and works fine for me
valgaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #21
GreyBeard

Default Dell Laptop

You can see from my signature what I use and it is working fine. The only thing I did was to order it with XP installed instead of Vista. As long as I disable the wireless it is fine. I also had good luck using the same interface (firewire) with an older Inspiron 1150 and a TI chipset Bus Card Adaptor.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #22
Bogi

Jim,

What types of tweaks are you talking about in regards to the MBP? I tried searching the internet for websites that have some DAW related tweaks for the MBP but didn't find anything. Can you point me a website that has some info on this?

Thanks
Bogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #23
maa

Default Dell Latitude D400

This is brilliant - got the TI chip and is my best recording machine.
Its only got a 1.6Ghz CPU but thats of no concern for recording.

If you want a small laptop for 'on the road' get a used one of these for around 200 euros.

Shame Dell changed the chip in later models.
Shows you can't say Dell is good or Dell is Crap.

Cheers

maa
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #24
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Spent 2 hours on the phone today

again

Trying to get through to ANYONE with a clue from Dell, HP, Gateway, and NEC about marketing to the DAW crowd, and making a laptop to fit

Another giant fail, as always

personally I'm saving pennies for one of Jim's quad laptops. He answers his phone and knows his stuff
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #25
tony_man

FWIW

I am using a Dell XPS M1530 ( Core 2 Duo T9300 : 2.50GHz, 4 GB).. Win 7 32Bit + M-Audio 1814 (on Ricoh FW ) + Radias (USB) + other Midi devices.

works very smooth with Reaper.. No drop-outs; records 8 Channels simultaneous no problem..

CPU ticking over at 5% running multi-tracks, 650MB RAM in use.. ...
tony_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #26
battla

i'm sorry to hear that you're so loyal to dell. they are and always have been one of the most dishonest, disreputable, customer hostile corporations in an industry full of them. michael dell has been cheating people since he was selling ut students computers out of the back of his minivan.
battla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #27
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roseberry View Post
FWIW, In that range of laptop, you're not going to find a unit with a good Firewire controller. These units typically use a crap Firewire and Cardbus controller (Ricoh chipset)... so you can't circumvent the issue with a cardbus TI chipset Firewire controller.
If you're stuck on said laptop, you're pretty much forced to go with a USB audio interface.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Really... is this a new issue? I just recorded my band last night (8 simultaneous trax 24/44.1) with a presonus FP10 into a 2 year old latitude D620 (core 2 duo, 3gb Ram)using a TI FW card and it worked flawlessly. USB... Ewwww. Even sub-optimal FW has got to be better than USB.

Last edited by Magicbuss; 07-14-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
I'm using a Latitude D620 and pretty much everything zerocool said is true in my experience as well. It can work but it will have so many tweaks to services and devices it will barely resemble the original configuration.
The only thing I did to mine was create a different hardware profile with the CD drive and wifi disabled. Then I manually disable my antivirus prior to recording. Works like a charm. This is my work machine BTW.

Last edited by Magicbuss; 07-14-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #29
RockinRoger

Default Latitude D620

Latitude D620 - used USB rather than FW, no problems. Ran fine with reaper - loads of tracks/VST's. OS: windows xp/sp3 - needs tweaking though, as previous peeps have remarked.

Good luck
RockinRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #30
keyman_sam

200 more and get the Sony Vaio.

Has quality components and build - yes, comes with the TI Chipset (atleast my model does).

Solid performance in reaper here.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #31
bluzkat

After a few weeks of doing a little research (or is that 'rea-search') because I'm buying a laptop in a couple weeks. As surprised as I was, all roads led to Sony. They seemed to have to have a better selection of 'options'. I'm not sure how good their 'support' is... I really hope I don't need to find out!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #32
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
200 more and get the Sony Vaio.
Beware that Sony does not allow you to tinker with the HW in a new Vaio in any way without invalidating all guarantees. You cannot even change the HD! Dell is much better in this respect, they even give you the service manual to tell you how to change HD. For the Vaio it is not at all obvious how to do it, and Sony has that info classified...
Old 07-15-2009, 02:10 AM   #33
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Beware that Sony does not allow you to tinker with the HW in a new Vaio in any way without invalidating all guarantees. You cannot even change the HD! Dell is much better in this respect, they even give you the service manual to tell you how to change HD. For the Vaio it is not at all obvious how to do it, and Sony has that info classified...
Definitely a good thing to know. I think I've got mine spec'd out to where I won't need to upgrade anything, at least till the warranty is over.

I'll for sure go back and look at the Dell stuff again. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #34
keyman_sam

and get yourself the "accidental warranty coverage" if you plan on taking it out.

I dropped the sony from a table resulting in a broken left hinge. They said its gonna cost close to 200 to fix it, since i dont have accidental coverage.

Please dont make the same mistake.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #35
soul&folk

I'm the OP. I ended up getting another Dell Inspiron 9300 on eBay. Paid $427 total after shipping. Came loaded with Microsoft Office Professional. Better screen than my previous one, and the nice bonus is THIS one doesn't need me to disable anything to be able to function well. I'm in the middle of a new song. SO far 17 tracks, 2 of which are midi, each using ezdrummer. Most others have reverb and compression fx. It's all good. Very happy camper here!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #36
solaris1982

Greybeard:
Do you have the TI chipset in yours? I have a 1525 that will have to do with my firebox, and mine doesn't have it. Just wondering what your performance is like if you don't have it either.
solaris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #37
Press

my old setup was a dell d500 with 2x2gb ram (you gotta do some work to get it to recognize all the ram but it is poss) m-audio audiophile usb, external usb storage, oxygen 49 usb controller. and sometimes big projects would poop out on me but other than that it worked great even with the crazy amount of usb going on etc.
Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #38
jdubs73

I also have a Dell Inspiron 9300. Great machine. I've been using it since 2005.

I have the Layla 24/96 with the cardbus adapter and it is rock solid on my laptop. Just thought you might like to know.
jdubs73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:04 AM   #39
jaaypeso

Saw a guy mention turning off the "ACPI battery client thing" helping performance....does anybody know what this is, or what/how this might help? I use Windows XP by the way on a Dell Inspiron 1520 and I have a USB audio interface (digidesign).

I know where to find this feature, just wondering what I would gain from disabling it.

Last edited by jaaypeso; 09-05-2009 at 05:07 AM.
jaaypeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #40
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaypeso View Post
Saw a guy mention turning off the "ACPI battery client thing" helping performance....does anybody know what this is, or what/how this might help? I use Windows XP by the way on a Dell Inspiron 1520 and I have a USB audio interface (digidesign).

I know where to find this feature, just wondering what I would gain from disabling it.
It's the battery controller. It is manages your battery charge. On my Vostro 1510 it introduces a large dpc latency, 30 sec apart comes spikes from the ACPI, ~2ms.

You disable it in the Device Manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager) under "Batteries". Also, take out the battery and store it in a dry cool place, preferably charged to half capacity.