Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
ChuckaChucka
Human being with feelings

Default Room layout and treatment (including mixer/mic position)

I know there are odd shaped rooms that people have built their studio's in but I asked my local audio centre on how I should go about dealing with my room and they were a little clueless.

Basically we have a loft converted bedroom about 4.5m x 3.8m. There are two points where the ceiling slopes but between them, there is a normal ceiling.

My question is regarding my current setup and moving it around the room.

See the diagram attached.

First - what setup would be recommended for recording and mixing?

CURRENT SETUP
Desk is placed about 4 inches away from the wall with the mic stand around a meter behind the listening position, between the sloped ceilings. I thought putting a DIY vocal booth there behind the vocalist combined with a reflexion filter will help to get clearer vocals..

The problem with this set up is, where do I place the acoustic panels. One behind the desk/monitor is a must from what I understand. But would the slanted ceiling also need to be treated?

PROPOSED SETUP

I plan to utilise that gap between the sloped ceilings and put my desk and mixers there. Its the perfect width for my desk. I was also thinking of putting the mic where the desk was/is originally placed and making a DIY vocal booth to stop reflections off the wall behind the vocalist.

Here my worry is the slanted ceiling (see actual picture) and how they would be treated (highlighted pink areas). Would acoustic foam there help with to stop the sound from bouncing off those pink areas?

I realise the picture makes the window area look small but its around 1.2m in width which is perfect for my desk.

Brown Circle = Listening Position
Blue Circle = Mic Position
Red Squares = Monitor Placement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studio.jpg (36.4 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by ChuckaChucka; 05-08-2012 at 05:57 PM.
ChuckaChucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
karbomusic

If I'm reading the diagram correctly, I'm way more worried about placing you and your monitors in that little box of a cubby hole. Sound is going to bounce off of those two side walls and cancel/add like crazy not to mention the quarter-space (or worse) loading up of all the bass. One of the other members might know better than me however.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
ChuckaChucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If I'm reading the diagram correctly, I'm way more worried about placing you and your monitors in that little box of a cubby hole. Sound is going to bounce off of those two side walls and cancel/add like crazy not to mention the quarter-space (or worse) loading up of all the bass. One of the other members might know better than me however.
Exactly what I am worried about. An option might be to move the table back a bit so the monitors are not in line with those two side walls.

The original room lay/setup is what I have currently but I don't really know where to but the absorption pads since on the left, the door is in a weird place and on the right there is a closet.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckaChucka View Post
Exactly what I am worried about. An option might be to move the table back a bit so the monitors are not in line with those two side walls.

The original room lay/setup is what I have currently but I don't really know where to but the absorption pads since on the left, the door is in a weird place and on the right there is a closet.
Yea, I feel your pain on the door thing. I just did my room and the back wall is two closets and a door so corner panels are out of the question back there. Argggg! I suppose the place to start is Room EQ Wizard and a cheap Behringer ECM8000. You gotta start somewhere so get some measurements of the best place you can find in the room then work from there. If you can get measurements you can at least get a real good idea of what sucks where before you start hanging panels.

Assuming the current location, if I had to guess, the worst thing the door is going to do is affect the stereo image which depending on frequency you might be able to fix by placing your side panels on stands to the left and right of mix position. Not sure if your room is wide enough to support that. There may be some benefit to the angled ceiling behind you vs the flat plane of a back wall. I'm not good enough at this to be correct on any of this so lets see what some of the other members add.

I just started my room a few days ago. You can see where I'm at here. That very last orange graph isn't as good as it looks, but it is way, way better that what I had. There is still some bass canceling out due to the back wall problem. That's why you see that reduced bass between 50 and 80 hz. There isn't much more I can do other than possibly some tuned traps which are quite pricey. It took 450 Lbs of panels just to get where I am now.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-08-2012 at 06:28 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
ChuckaChucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yea, I feel your pain on the door thing. I just did my room and the back wall is two closets and a door so corner panels are out of the question back there. Argggg! I suppose the place to start is Room EQ Wizard and a cheap Behringer ECM8000. You gotta start somewhere so get some measurements of the best place you can find in the room then work from there. If you can get measurements you can at least get a real good idea of what sucks where before you start hanging panels.

Assuming the current location, if I had to guess, the worst thing the door is going to do is affect the stereo image which depending on frequency you might be able to fix by placing your side panels on stands to the left and right of mix position. Not sure if your room is wide enough to support that. There may be some benefit to the angled ceiling behind you vs the flat plane of a back wall. I'm not good enough at this to be correct on any of this so lets see what some of the other members add.

I just started my room a few days ago. You can see where I'm at here. That very last orange graph isn't as good as it looks, but it is way, way better that what I had. There is still some bass canceling out due to the back wall problem. That's why you see that reduced bass between 50 and 80 hz. There isn't much more I can do other than possibly some tuned traps which are quite pricey. It took 450 Lbs of panels just to get where I am now.
Do you think I could do the test using a condenser like the Blue Spark - currently have that to work with :|