Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Fredj
Human being with feelings

Default how to categorize instruments whithin a reabank file

hello everybody,
I'm trying to make some reabank files to handle patch of my hardware synths.
Coming from cubase, I have just to make some modifications of my scriptnames files (EMU Orbit v3, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Mopho). But I've noticed that reabank patch list is ordered by the preset number.. whereas I'd like to create instruments categories.
Does any body knows if the following setting is possible ?
Pads
(program) 001- patch 1 "big pad....." ---BANK 0
(program) 002- patch 26 "atmospheric pad....." ---BANK 1
(program) 003- patch 107 "super pad....." ---BANK 1
Leads
(program) 001- patch 2 "big lead....." ---BANK 0
(program) 002- patch 37 "fx lead....." ---BANK 2
(program) 003- patch 108 "super lead....." ---BANK 3

I'm trying to figure out with .ins(Cakewalk) as well. It seems possible to create this kind of structure.

Cheers.
Fredj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
danfuerth

It does not work that way....

first you have to give it a bank so give the same bank info like this

Bank 0 1 Horns section
000 Program 1
000 Program 2

Bank 0 1 Just program 1
000 Program 1

Like that so you can break up the sound programs into your own sections

I did that for my Digitech 2112 Guitar FX unit so that I have sections for songs even though the program numbers might be like 35, 49, 67
My Digitech starts at 0 as 1 , 1 is 2 and on son

I would do this

Bank 0 1 Song 1
034 program 35
048 program 49
066 program 67

Bank 0 1 Song 2
048 program 49
066 program 67

So that would show me 2 lists in Reamidi control when I load that Reabank

And you could automate those programs of course like I do so all my pathes switch on automatically during a playback track and Reacontrol midi is place as an fx in that backing track, in the end 1 track plays my backing track while at the same time and automation lane on it for Reacontrolmidi switches my external fx unit 2112 patches all automatically using only 1 track for all this..

So the Reacontrolmidi automation lane for program switching is inside the backing track itself since you can load reacontrolmidi inside an audio track as an fx.

This cuts down on multiple automation tracks for midi switching of external fx units

Further more I add my program switching points manually while playing back the backing track and key spots that I want my program switches to happen, this is all visually and listening so you can not miss a switch point due to you hearing and seeing where you want the switch to happen
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Fredj

Thx for your reply.
I understood that .ins structure does not allow to gather/group different preset from different bank like cubase does.
The following link I found treats the question: "ReaControlMIDI doesn't always send bank and program select events" (Google search,sorry !...)
I tried a dedicated midi track with reaControlMidi interface to send program change but for an unknown reason I lost the preset ! as if Reaper can't follow midi event when I STOP playback... Did I miss any midi options in Reaper ??
Fredj is offline   Reply With Quote