Old 06-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
Amir
Human being with feelings

Default No Guitar Rig Sound

Hey folks,

I'm new here and I feel like you get this kind of question alot.
Anyhow, I couldn't find an explanation for my problem so I decided to register here and start getting help from the community.

I'm currently using Reaper v4.78 with a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL (USB Audio Interface) and Guitar Rig 5 as VST.
A few months ago I recorded some tracks with Reaper (older version I guess) and had to listen to the track with headphones pluged in the audio interface. As I remember correctly, everything worked out fine. But now I decided to buy a stereo-to-mono phone adapter (y-cable) to connect my speakers, because the sound of my headphones wasn't good enough.

When I start only Guitar Rig 5 I can hear the amp-modulated sound without latency (which tells me that my Audio Interface is connected, on-board soundcard is deactivated, input and output volume control on the interface are correctly adjusted and the mix control knob is set to "VSL").

When I start Reaper I can hear the guitar sound, create a track (the waveform) and also see a guitar sound (VU meter) in the mixer and the current track while playing, when I arm the track for recording and activate direct monitoring - but this time with noticeable latency.
When I add an effect (the Guitar Rig VST - added in Reaper) I cannot hear the modulated sound from guitar rig.
Two days ago I couldn't even get any sound from the guitar while in Reaper (but Guitar Rig only). I don't know what I have changed. Anyway, it's not the sound I want to hear.
My Audio device is set to ASIO4ALL, inputs are enabled and outputs are set according to the Audio Interface (although I'm not sure about the "Sends" and "Receives" - I never had to use them)

Funny things:
- I can load a project I recorded a few months ago, but I don't hear any sound
- I can record a track with Guitar Rig activated as effect, render the track and hear the modulated guitar sound, when I open the .wav-file with another audio tool - but not when recording or while playing inside reaper
- I can hear the metronome while playing/recording, but no modulated guitar sound
- When I start Reaper it always starts twice - it never did this before

No track is muted, meters are getting a signal, waveform is created while recording.

Must be a simple thing but I'm new in homerecording so even simple things can be tricky for me.

I appreciate any help.
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
ivansc

One step at a time. Have you enabled auto record monitoring in the track you are recording to?
in the track controls for that track you will see a little sideways triangle, which gives you either off, on or auto for record monitoring.
Stick it on auto and you should hear the guitar playing through Guitar Rig.

Assuming you record armed the track as well.

Also, if memory serves the ASIO driver provided by presonus is pretty good, certainly better than ASIO4All.
Can I suggest you try using the "proper" driver? ASIO4ALL is great but it is only a kludge to fool your system into thinking it actually has an ASIO driver when it is using directsound or the like.

Keep us posted on your progress and have fun!

OH! P.S. Welcome to the forums.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #3
Amir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
One step at a time. Have you enabled auto record monitoring in the track you are recording to?
in the track controls for that track you will see a little sideways triangle, which gives you either off, on or auto for record monitoring.
Stick it on auto and you should hear the guitar playing through Guitar Rig.
Yes, that's what I meant with 'direct monitoring' - I see the meters in the master mixer while playing.
Besides, I also see the guitar signal in guitar rig while playing, when it's added as an effect for the current track in Reaper - but no modulated sound. Are there any settings in guitar rig for sending the signal?

Quote:
Also, if memory serves the ASIO driver provided by presonus is pretty good, certainly better than ASIO4All.
Can I suggest you try using the "proper" driver? ASIO4ALL is great but it is only a kludge to fool your system into thinking it actually has an ASIO driver when it is using directsound or the like.
I did that before, still no sound from guitar rig but some latency.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:03 AM   #4
ivansc

A suggestion: Do a new *portable* install of reaper.
This will reset everything to factory defaults without killing your old install.
That way you can see if it really is something you accidentally set wrong in your original install. If it isnt you can then go back to your original settings knowing they are likely OK.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
jiff 41

Hi Amir
A long shot, but have you checked if your master out is correct?

Take a look @ this

Attachment 24690

Last edited by jiff 41; 12-07-2018 at 11:53 PM.
jiff 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post

When I start only Guitar Rig 5 I can hear the amp-modulated sound without latency (which tells me that my Audio Interface is connected, on-board soundcard is deactivated, input and output volume control on the interface are correctly adjusted and the mix control knob is set to "VSL").

When I start Reaper I can hear the guitar sound, create a track (the waveform) and also see a guitar sound (VU meter) in the mixer and the current track while playing, when I arm the track for recording and activate direct monitoring - but this time with noticeable latency.
When I add an effect (the Guitar Rig VST - added in Reaper) I cannot hear the modulated sound from guitar rig.

Are you running the standalone version of Guitar Rig, then starting Reaper? If so, that's likely where your problem is. You need to close Guitar Rig, start Reaper, then insert Guitar Rig into a track as an FX.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but the part of your post that I included here seems to say that you have sound from Guitar Rig, THEN you start Reaper and all the problems start.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
This can be caused by a few things, most importantly the buffer settings, Options>Preferences>Audio>Device. Look down at the box just right of the "Request block size:". The lower you can set that the less latency. It depends on the capabilities of your computer and the size of your Reaper project file as to how low you can set it. A setting of 128 to 256 usually works pretty good but the higher you get above 256, the more latency you will have. If your setting is too low you'll get snaps, pops, and crackles.

There are other things like reverb that can also affect the latency.

Quote:
As already mentioned you have to have the Record Arm button armed, and Monitor has to be on.

There are other things like where your Sends are going.

If you can upload a project file, so we can see how you've got it set up, we might be able to better help you.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
Amir

First of all: Thank you for your quick help - this community seems to be pretty awesome.

Now step by step:

Quote:
A suggestion: Do a new *portable* install of reaper.
[...]
I did this and everything worked out fine. I get the modulated sound from the Guitar Rig Plugin directly while recording. Now I'm also able to play previously recorded tracks with the Guitar Rig effects. Great!
So obviously there must be something wrong with the configuration of the original reaper installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
Are you running the standalone version of Guitar Rig, then starting Reaper?[...]
With
Quote:
I meant to start Guitar Rig from within Reaper - as an FX for each track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
This can be caused by a few things, most importantly the buffer settings, Options>Preferences>Audio>Device. Look down at the box just right of the "Request block size:". The lower you can set that the less latency. [...]
There is nothing set (nothing requested) so the settings from the ASIODriver are used, I guess. I switched now to the AudioBox ASIO Driver, where the Buffer Size is set to 256.
I don't get the noticeable latency but I feel like there is some "delay".
Anyway, much better than before. Maybe because of the use of the AudioBox Driver or some settings which were wrong in the original installation.

I try to figure out which settings differ.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
ivansc

Can I suggest that you go into your asio settings (options/settings/audo/device select ASIO and then click on the ASIO settings button that is now visible) and try setting your buffer down to 128. If that works and you dont get a load of pops clicks and dropouts when you record, try it even lower.
The rule of thumb here is keep lowering the buffer until you get a problem then back it off a notch.
You can see what effect the buffer setting is having on your round trip latency by looking at what reaper reports in the top right hand corner.
It will say something like 128 buffer 64bit 2.1/2.1 the last 2 figures being your inbound and outgoing latency figures according to reaper.
Not 100% accurate but it IS a good rule of thumb and you can sort of see what effect you are having on your latency!

Have fun
Old 06-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
Amir

Thank you, I switched to 128 and still everything works well - with the portable version. I might leave it that way and see if any errors occur during recording.

Concerning the differences of the two installations: When I add a Track in the original installation and add FX, I can see "Reaper Rewire". It is not avaiable in the portable installation. This is the reason the original reaper installation starts twice, I guess. Can it be a reason for the sound error? What's it with Reaper ReWire?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
ivansc

(grin) If you have to ask, turn it off!

Its a means by which you can get to pieces of software talking to each other, like reason and reaper for instance.

I for one have never had the need to use it & at this stage you are unlikely to.
Wonder how you turn it off?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #12
Amir

Yeah, I was wondering how to turn it off.
I now found a setting to disable the Rewire mixer support in the preferences. Now Reaper starts only once and the sound is working, even with my original installation.

I'm wondering how I accidentally turned it on - is there any hotkey for this?
Also I'm wondering why the Rewire mixer support is turned on (per default) in the portable installation but the portable version starts only once and the sound is working?