Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
krm27
Human being with feelings

Default Midi piano roll problem -- black keys are not accessible?!!

I recently installed latest version and noticed a weird issue. When I create a new midi item, and open the piano roll, all the black piano keys show up gray and I am not allowed to put notes in those lines. So, basically, the midi piano roll only allows me to program notes in the C major scale.

I have used various VSTi's, and it is the same with all of them, so it's not an issue with the VSTi. I have been using Reaper for a couple years with no problem like this.

As I see it, the two most likely culprits are (1) bug in the latest version or (2) somehow I accidentally changed some setting that perhaps limits the midi piano roll to notes in the key of C major (?)

If it's a bug in the latest version, I think I'd be seeing a lot of talk on here about it, but a search turns up nothing. I have looked for any setting / choice that might limit the midi roll to just the "white" keys, but I find nothing, not even sure where to look for something like that.

Note, my work-around so far has been to copy & paste a midi item from an old song -- the existing / saved midi items still show the black keys and let me program them, it's only any new midi item that has the black keys "grayed out" and non-functional.

Anyone know how I fix this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midi error 1.jpg (23.8 KB, 344 views)

Last edited by krm27; 06-28-2015 at 07:20 PM.
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
krm27
Human being with feelings

Nevermind, kept searching and finally found a related post... I had clicked "scale" on bottom of midi page. Never even noticed that existed, so not sure how I did that.