Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #41
Superfly76
Human being with feelings

I now stand instead of sitting. I've been standing at my console for a year now and love it. Back feels great, and I have more energy. I raised my recording desk and eveything else up to a proper standing height for me and I haven't looked back. I have a raised chair, which is really more of a stool, that I'll sit on from time to time. But typically, I spend almost all of my day standing.

I have good shoes with arch support -which is a must if you switch to standing, and I keep a small footstool nearby if I feel like changing it up a bit. I don't know why more of us don't stand. I love it. I feel healthier, and I lost weight too.

If you decide to go standing, the top of your desk should be right at your elbow height. You can relax your shoulders, let your arms hang down naturally, then bend them at the elbow, and have someone measure the distance from the floor to the point of your elbow.

In addition to the posture benifits, I find that I have so much more energy in the day. I no longer have that afternoon slump. I also find it easier to get going as I'm already standing. I don't need to run over and sit at the console, press record, then jump up and run over to the mic. I'm already standing! I love it. No more hunching over a desk with my guitar dangling there as I try to change amp sim settings. I love standing. I'll never go back to sitting all day.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #42
mikeroephonics

I lean back (like Fat Joe) & have 2 pillows on the
back of the chair for back support. Works nicely.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #43
Win Conway

Way way too much advice given from all over the web of how you can achieve no back pain/health issues by adjusting this or adjusting that, sit this way sit that way.

One piece of advice is universal and applies to everybody, set a timer and a take a break at least every 45 minutes for a few minutes or so.
During this break you stretch and walk as much as possible.

Works everytime
Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
Mudchild

OK guys, well as the OP it's only right I check back in and let you know what happened after reviewing all your advice. I went for standup! That's right I'm standing now and typing this.

It worked! back problems are definitely fading. There are some cons, but they are outweighed by the pros, and I think it was a very good move. It also makes me more focused on my work.

What made it easier to do was using the secret Ikea lifehack technique instead of committing to an expensive new desk. I spent £19 in Ikea and adapted my desk into a stander. The recipe, for anyone interested, is here:

http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-St...2-dollars.html

works great!
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #45
Panic

I'd like to try a stand-up desk. Not for posture reasons, but just because it seems like I'd be more active and efficient with my work if I were on my feet doing it. Haven't made it happen yet, though.

On the topic of back pain; I suffered upper back and neck issues for years until, due to unrelated issues, I changed my diet. Haven't had a back issue since.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #46
Arnar

Yeah, standing is definitely an improvement. It's kind of strange at first but it works.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #47
imispgh

I have had a couple back surgeries. L-4 issues and an odd condition called Tarlov Cysts.

I have a swiveled comfy high back office chair that lets me lean back. IIt also has arms I can rests on with great access to the mouse. And I look straight ahead to the monitor.

I also play drums. For that I bought a Ludwig stool with the mid back piece. I then replaced the back spine with a piece of steel that would allow me to lean back and not bend the back.

Also get up and walk a bit every once in a while
imispgh is offline   Reply With Quote