Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #721
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Oh no it isn't! I'm looking at the default extensions menu and it's not listed. PPC/OSX/SWS beta 24.

I think you must have connections to get that kind of menu service. I can only access it with the actions window.
hmm no - just a PC!

must be a mac thing, sorry. real shame that..

@ CaptainHook, (edit: jeffos explains all below)

these new features are undocumented and quite tricky to fathom at first, plus they keep improving/changing, so if you've not been following their development and just jumped in its tricky to pull all the pieces together to be much use to the dev in terms of feedback straight out of the blocks. don't let that put you off though its a fun ride...

i'd recommend just going through the thread and sparing some moments staring at the various dialogs trying things out getting yourself up to speed, then you'll be in a better position to test stuff on mac etc and contribute any ideas too.

----

so.... anyone seen my little media slot/image slot example video?
http://min.us/mbbjBUQpR
huh?

Last edited by BenK-msx; 12-22-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: updated
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #722
CaptainHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
hmm no - just a PC!

must be a mac thing, sorry. real shame that..
Oh, sorry for my rant then. I assumed it wasn't in the menu by design, but it's "just a mac thing". Lol. I found it easily enough in the action list but got the error as i posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
these new features are undocumented and quite tricky to fathom at first, plus they keep improving/changing.... so if you've not been following their development and just jumped in its tricky to pull all the pieces together to be much use to the dev in terms of feedback straight out of the blocks.
No problem, just responding to a request i saw for mac users to give feedback. I also saw the word "beta" thrown around, but after reading this it now seems to me this stuff is very much Alpha (considering you say the features are still changing etc). I have no problem offering some time towards beta to help make sure locked down features are operating correctly, but not really if this is still Alpha. Yell out again when development is further along. Cheers.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #723
Jeffos
Mortal

Even tests in "tourist mode" are welcome: I am blind without Mac here! So, thank you CaptainHook and thank you Kunda: even if you don't think so, there is some valuable feedback here, see below.
Please note that blind people can do things properly - even if they do not see them I just have some doubts I mentionned in post 275, the rest is (well "should be") Ok on OSX too.

"valuable" feedback I said:
- Kunda: many thanks for the screenshot (things look OK, like on Win). Also, the issue you pointed out is probably a larger bug impacting other things (@Tim, if you read this: I have a feeling something is wrong in the swell-ini mod). Thanks again, should be fixed in v2.1.0 #25 (well, let me know when it will be released!)
- Captain: the lack of "Cycle action editor" in the main menu > extensions is typically the kind of inputs I'm after! OSX-only bug, thanks, will be fixed in v2.1.0 #25
- "Please enter a value in [1; 0]" is because you have not defined any image slot in the Resources view but that does not look right, of course! will be fixed in v2.1.0 #25 (explicit error message)

Also, I dont understad, the extension is not in "alpha" stage!
It is just in "on-going developement", just like REAPER is.
(and to be honnest, v2.1.0 #24 is much better than the official 2.1 IMO - 2 critical fixes, at the very least)

The point here is just to finalize things for OSX too.

So, here are some info that should help you to test things in "tourist mode":

1) Cycle action

What is it?

This is something which allow you to make some other kind of "macros". For example, when a cycle action is attached to a toolbar button, pressing that *same* button several times can execute several different actions.
With the cycle action example I attached above: click the button => vol envelopes are displayed for selected items, click again => pan envelopes are displayed, click again => vol envelopes, etc.. (it "cycles")
You can use that to make "macros" that report toggle states too (vol env => the button light-up, pan env => normal button, vol env => the button light-up, etc..). Just click in the "Toggle" column of the left list view of the cycle action editor.

See that excelent (but tough, if you are a beginner) example from Mercado_Negro with details/screenshots and step-by-step procedure here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=84978 (big up to MN!)

So now, how to help me out?

1a) as reported here, the import cycle action test is KO so we'll have to wait for v2.1.0 #25... When it will be available:
- main menu > extension > Cycle action editor
- right click anywhere in the editor: context menu > Import/export > Import in current section
- open the file I attached in post 275
- click the apply button (bottom left of the editor)
Expected result:
=> a new action "show/hide take vol/pan envelopes" is added in the action list
=> when you perform it => vol envelopes are displayed for selected items, run it again => pan envelopes are displayed, etc..

1b) "Manual" creation of a cycle action. Please can someone test with the current v2.1.0 #24 ?
Try to define the cycle action Mercado_Negro has detailed step by step
=> everything OK? i.e. everything happens like MN described it?
Try to run that "switch layout" cycle action (but don't get fooled by that other native double-click bug which is discussed there: run the cycle action from the action list or from a button)
=> everything OK?

2) Region/marker subtitles

2a) done in the upcoming v2.1.0 #25, let's forget that

2b) to be tested once v2.1.0 #25 is released!

so, does the "Notes/Subtitles/Help" view behave like on Windows OS?

^^ i.e. do you see that on OSX too?
note: you must "unlock" the view for this test (I mean top left button disaled == text edition allowed).
in other words, export/import buttons should appear/disappear when swithing from/to "Project notes" <-> "Region/marker subtitles" (those buttons == load/save of subtitle files - only the SubRip .srt file format is managed ATM as it is widely supported by video players)

3) Show image actions

Of course, you need to create some "image slots" before you can perform the action "SWS/S&M - Show image, slot n":
- main menu > extension > resources
=> the Resources window is opened
- in the top left dropdown bow, choose "Images"
- right click, in the context menu > auto-fill > auto-fill from default resource path (<- you can add whatever png file but this is to simplify the test..)
=> ok, now you have some slots defined

The test:
- now you can run the action "Show image, slot 1"
=> does the related image is displayed on OSX ?
You should see something like:

^^ OMG, risky stuff! let's hope WT won't see how I stretched such beautiful bongos

IMPORTANT (this is where I think there will be a serious prob on OSX) - 2nd test:
- close the "S&M - Image" window (well, if it correctly appeared in the previous test)
- exit REAPER
- launch REAPER
- re-run the action "Show image, slot 1"
=> beachball, right ?

@BenK: do you see now why your FR has been "ignored" ? Also, pffffff I'm thristy after such a post.. but what!? still no beeer here !!ù%#!?
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #724
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
do you see now why your FR has been "ignored" ? Also, pffffff I'm thristy after such a post.. but what!? still no beeer here !!ù%#!?
thanks for the explanatory post.. i like the subtitles in that they keep marker text neat on the arrange view.
yes, those Macs do make things more complicated for you and it is very much appreciated you doing so 'blind' too.

hey i was merely hoping for some feedback! plus i'd offered you beer.. so then the silence was really confusing!
(before anyone thinks i'm a meany.)

oh you'll get your drink don't worry..

thanks again.

edit: @cpnhook - no prob , feared you might take my post as me being a bit 'douchy' but was just trying to save u some hair pulling, now jeffos has sorted you guys out, all is good.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 12-22-2011 at 01:25 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #725
CaptainHook

Okay thanks for clearing that up Jeffos.

First, i have to ask..

Should the Notes/Subtitles/Help window be under the extensions menu too?
Right now i have to get it from the action list.

Moving on:

1b) Same error as importing your cycle action. Infact, i see other OSX users in the thread you linked have described the same problem/error with screen capture:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=27

Quote:
Warning: cycle action '"redfader' (section 'Main') was added but not registered
Details: command id (or custom id) '"' not found
2b) I believe this is working as you intended. But i just played with this window for the first time and i did a screen capture of me doing so.. perhaps that will help see how it behaves in OSX better than i can explain (there is a display bug with characters like "j" that go below the text line - also the lock button is actually difficult to tell if it's in a locked state or not):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18578250/ReaperNotes.mov

3) Actually no beachball. I quit reaper and re-opened. All 4 image slots would open windows with images displaying. This seems to be working for me. I just tested on two different macbook pro's (i'm away from home and my iMac on xmas holidays visiting family) and one has 10.7.2 and the other 10.6.8. Both worked fine for this.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #726
musicbynumbers

Jeffos!

The Subtitles function is super handy voice dubbing and lyrics for vocals and all other kinds of goodies, thanks an insane amounts!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #727
Jeffos
Mortal

THANKS CaptainHook!

yes the "Notes/Subtitles/Help" view should be there too (in main menu > extensions) I can't see what could be wrong for OSX here but I'll look.. (Sorry but are you sure it is not there?)

1b) so, just like 1a, it "should" be fixed in the next v2.1.0 #25!
thanks for the link too: yes, known issue, that's why we removed the editor at that time..

2b) Many, many thanks for the .mov!! Ha ha ha! in short, what I was expected to work on OSX does not but what was expected to not, does :
- the resizing is OK
- but there's obviouly a "refresh" problem (ex: when you switch to track notes, the text "projects notes" still displayed). Will look..
- the "j" thing: it is the font, I can probably choose another one for Macs: any suggestion (bundled font name) ?
- lock button: the view is "themable" so this is your current theme's lock button, can't help!

3) Ok, great! Now that is really official: SWELL kick ass!

We're close to it.
Thanks again. Much, MUCH appreciated.

[EDIT] oh! and in v2.1.0 #25, the cycle action editor wil be available out of the box (no ini file tweak needed)

Last edited by Jeffos; 12-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #728
Kundalinguist

Default 2b or not 2b

Jeffos, marker/region subtitles and item notes work fine here in OSX PPC.

sidenote: the "unlock" button is not quite as intuitive as seeing a "save" button or something, which might be a more user friendly option.

But it's working.

re; OSX font: Myriad is a useful default font, nice profile, gentle on the eyes.

Also, Notes/Subtitles/Help is in my default SWS menu.

Last edited by Kundalinguist; 12-22-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #729
CaptainHook

My apologies, Notes/Subtitles/Help is indeed there in extensions menu!

Myriad is good font choice for OSX. It's the apple corporate font and used for marketing/iPods/products etc.
The other option i would suggest is Lucida Grande which is the apple system font.

I was using the default theme in the video i posted so the lock icon should be the "out of the box" option?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #730
CaptainHook

Oh, the persistant text across the different drop down options in Notes/Subtitles...
I think it's related to if one of those options isn't selected. eg. i tried again and if i have
no track selected, going from project notes to track notes will keep the project notes entry persistant too. It does say "no selection!" next to the drop down menu, but obviously this can still be confusing if you don't realize that the text staying there is a bug.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #731
Win Conway

Toggle column doesn't register as toggle on toolbar buttons here
Tried every way i can think of to no evail

Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #732
Jeffos
Mortal

Thanks again Captain and Kunda!
v2.1.0 #25 still not released yet (I might bug you one last time when it will be available so we can check things are indeed fixed on OSX)

@CaptainHook: yes, thanks! the refresh issue is also present on Windows OS in fact, little regression, my fault, fixed in #25! also, in #25, you will be able to choose the "big" font name you want in the S&M.ini file

@Kunda: 2b or not 2b.. ha ha! I would say: "freebie or not freebie THAT is the question" !

@gpunk_w: sorry for the delay (I was busy with chocolate and other stuff )

To make a toggle action, 2 states (at least) are required, of course! But you only have one defined in your screenshot.
So to make a cycle action which reports a toggle state, you need to click the "toggle" column like you did but you also need at least one step "!" in it, ex:
Code:
some_stuff1
!
some_stuff2
I guess why you did not put any "!" here: you are in a bit "specific" case where you only use actions which already have toggle states.
The correct way to handle that is:
Code:
!
Toggle states for cycle actions works fine here...
Old 12-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #733
Tod

One small request. We allready have "Normalize selected takes to db value...". Would it be possible to have:

> Set normalize level to db value in slot n

and

> Normalize selected items to db value, slot n

That way we can set up our own default normalize values and run them with out haveing to type them in every time. I for one like to normalize to a couple of different levels. Also if you have 100 or more samples to normalize it wouldn't be so tedious.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #734
Win Conway

Cheers jeffos
Seems to work fine
Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #735
Jeffos
Mortal

Yo, v2.1.0 #25 is out - thank you Tim!

So, OSX users, are the cycle action editor issues 1a and 1b discussed above fixed now ?
Well, if someone can just confirm that he/she can import and perform the cycle action "show/hide take vol/pan envelopes", we'll say it's OK. The file to import is attached here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=725

reminder: no more ini tweak needed, the cycle action editor is now available out of the box on OSX too
Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #736
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Cheers jeffos
Seems to work fine
Nice theme, which one is it ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #737
J3FFR3Y2692

^^ I'd also like to know how you set those mcp view buttons up. Like the Drums, Synths buttons etc.
J3FFR3Y2692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #738
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Yo, v2.1.0 #25 is out - thank you Tim!

So, OSX users, are the cycle action editor issues 1a and 1b discussed above fixed now ?
Well, if someone can just confirm that he/she can import and perform the cycle action "show/hide take vol/pan envelopes", we'll say it's OK. The file to import is attached here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=725

reminder: no more ini tweak needed, the cycle action editor is now available out of the box on OSX too
Hi Jeffos.

I just installed #25 on my Mac PPC / OSX 10.5.8.

I imported the action script and assigned it Opt-V to run it.

When I then run that key command I get a beachball spin but nothing happens. The beachball is not fatal but simply occurs for about 5 seconds.

However, I'm no longer getting that import error message from #24. That means we're almost there.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #739
Jeffos
Mortal

thanks for hanging on Kundalinguist!
Quote:
When I then run that key command I get a beachball spin but nothing happens. The beachball is not fatal but simply occurs for about 5 seconds.
sorry! I don't understand (English..), what is a "non-fatal beachball spin" ?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #740
Kundalinguist

Quote:

I will touch the keyboard and someone throws a beachball at my head.

NO. Just kidding. The beachball is a Mac OS warning icon of a slow down or problems carrying out a task within an application. Sometimes the beach ball never stops and you have to shut down the app - or it crashes.

Many of us also get this effect with GIFs on Safari. It's a generic warning of a delay.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #741
Mercado_Negro

Quote:

Schwa explained that to me once: MACs show a colorful circle... oh, I was going to reply and just saw kunda did it... ok, is that a revenge for all pre threads I stole from you?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #742
vicenzajay

Default Ha...

Got both the #1 and #2 downloads of the 64 bit build of pre #26!

I'm on a roll!
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #743
Kundalinguist

Jeffos. Just testing #26.

The pan and volume envelopes are switching. However, this does not make the actual lane pop out beneath the track but only switches between envelope lanes within a selected item.

Is this intentional or a coding issue in targeting the right action?

Also note: this means the track envelope is different and separate from the one that is being switched per item.

Last edited by Kundalinguist; 01-04-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #744
Jeffos
Mortal

Thanks Kunda, so everything is OK now on OSX since v2.1.0 #26, YEAH!

BTW, all OSX users out there should also thank Kundalinguist and CaptainHook! The issues they reported here probably impacted other things (ini file access, other potential "beachball spins": Play/loop media file actions, update notifs to some views, etc..). At the very least, those things now work like on Windows OS.
Also, thank you Tim (again) for the "non-fatal beachball spin from hell" fix (Undebuggable without a Mac.. I was about to give-up..).
Quote:
Jeffos. Just testing #26.

The pan and volume envelopes are switching. However, this does not make the actual lane pop out beneath the track but only switches between envelope lanes within a selected item.
Yes, it is normal: this cycle action only switches active *take* envelopes of selected items between vol env -> pan env -> vol env -> etc..
It was just a random but interesting test (e.g. the "beachball spin" would not have been triggered with a "basic" cycle action made of native actions).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
MACs show a colorful circle...
I did not reply like a human beeing in the sws tracker..
.. happy new year to you too and to everybody out there too !
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #745
Kundalinguist

I'm not doing this for fame...it's, it's for the children. So please, give generously now to the, um, Kundalinguist Save The Reaperless Children Fund, c/o me, me, me.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #746
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I'm not doing this for fame...it's, it's for the children. So please, give generously now to the, um, Kundalinguist Save The Reaperless Children Fund, c/o me, me, me.
Paypal? Or Western Union?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #747
Kundalinguist

To expedite the donation process, our organization accepts only cash in brown paper envelopes. We will send a courier to meet with you under the bridge, at midnight.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #748
musicbynumbers

Thanks Guys for latest update, some great stuff in it! appreciate the lines
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #749
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Thanks Kunda...
Yes, it is normal: this cycle action only switches active *take* envelopes of selected items between vol env -> pan env -> vol env -> etc..
That was my brain glitch. I didn't even bother "looking" at the code, even though I saw it in the right hand column of the cycle editor. I had read in a post that it switched envelopes and just assumed it was lanes in the track. But I guess that can be done too.

Anyway, it does work. Cool. And thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #750
planetnine

Been trying to Scrub using a pair of SWS cursor-moving extensions, but it doesn't scrub.

I have a jog/shuttle wheel with the jog wheel set to use the standard move cursor left and right actions -scrubs well, but the sensitivity is TCP zoom-dependent, too far in and the movement is so fine it's subsonic .

I tried to use the SWS move cursor 5ms left and right actions (which isn't zoom-dependent of course), but it doesn't scrub as it moves.

Is this just me or by design/ can't be done. Is this doable at all please? be great to have a fixed scrub-sensitivity control.

I've just downloaded the latest beta and you guys have now left me light-years behind

>
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #751
ValeryOrloff

Default TCP Show/ Hide

Hi SWS!
once somewhere in SWS's action list I have seen action for hide track control panel and now i can't find it.... maybe I imagined it and this was not like at all?
ValeryOrloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #752
sws
Code Monkey

Hey planetnine. I think I might be able to move the cursor a different way and have it work. I'll give it a shot.
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #753
ValeryOrloff

Default Planetnine

possibly, but snapshot capture other undesirable positions of interface...
I do remember, that action was once, no?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #754
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Hey planetnine. I think I might be able to move the cursor a different way and have it work. I'll give it a shot.
Thank you Tim, very much appreciated.

If you do work out how it is done could you alter the Move cursor L/R configured seconds instead (or a separate scrub version) please, as the ideal step is somewhere between 20 and 50ms.

Sometimes if I'm doing dialogue, I have to fiddle about with the zoom to find the sweet-spot.

PS -I've just thought, is there an action to set the horizontal zoom to a fixed memorised value (a la PT)?

Thanks for this...

>
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #755
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeryOrloff View Post
possibly, but snapshot capture other undesirable positions of interface...
I do remember, that action was once, no?
Get rid of all of the TCP? -or just certain tracks?

Is it enough to put it in the docker and Tab-up something else (it's then hidden behind the active screen in the Docker.

(I've just rediscovered the Docking functions since I DL v4 ).

>
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #756
ValeryOrloff

Default Hide all TCP

Planetnine, yes, all TCP,
I want tune setup for completely free main window by one push button on my controller, and i remember, that action was in list, but now can't find it
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #757
geoslake

Default Crash

Hi

I got an instant Reaper crash when I use the "toggle visibility of selected folder parent's children in mixer" shortcut (F here).
geoslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #758
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Heyup Tim, any luck with this sir?

I know you've got nothing else to do

Many thanks...

>
Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #759
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Heyup Tim, any luck with this sir?
Try 2.1.0 #27 and let me know what you think.
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #760
Anton9

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the update! I was wondering.., regarding the move cursor actions(yours and Xenakios's) if you could program them to obey loop selections and still scrub, so that when a loop end is reached the cursor would start over from loop start? Perhaps through an option in the S&M.ini, that is if you don't want to program new actions?
Maybe even one like the config. sec/ms one that would obey loop selection but when it reaches loop end it starts to move left, back toward loop start and still scrub?

Thank You,
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote