Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
riccol
Human being with feelings

Default Pod HD causing computer crash

I just came into possesion of a Pod HD. Find it useful for some clean guitar and effects junk.
(please don't want to start a Pod debate)

However it is crashing my computer... Blue screen. ( not right away ..or always ... But way to often)

It is crashing when ruuning it in Reaper through USB.

My regular sound card is a RME Babyface.
Is it the USB input that is causing it to crash? I disconnect the Babyface when running it via USB, but wonder if there is some kind of conflict with the Babyface drivers?

But I can run it from the analog outs and into the Babyface ins. (gotta get some proper cables)

That should solve the problem.... Right?????
(comfort me)
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
karbomusic

For me (and yours might be similar) I think its possibly a conflict because both my POD X3 and HD PRO will occassionaly cause a BSOD when one of them are connected and I'm running my FF800. Looking at the dump details its the RME driver that took the hit. It only happens when both REM and POD drivers are running at the same time.

There was a nasty known issue for a while of POD drivers causing a BSOD in Windows 7. They fixed that but whatever that was didn't seem to address my POD/RME issue. I don't use the POD as a soundcard but I use the USB for tweaking it, patches etc. which requires loading the audio drivers arggg. I wonder if Line6 has taken this scenario into account. IE: Unless they are testing in this scenario specifically, they may not ever see the issue.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
ivansc

I have a UX1 which I run normally on a small mobile rig using either it to drive podfarm2 or the saffire6 usb interface I have.

Latest software from Line6 allows you to use ANY USB interface, which is cool.
But I also use the UX1 in conjunction with an RME HDSP 9652 in my main machine with no issues.

It really does look like the answer lies somewhere in the USB vs firewire chain.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
riccol

Had same issues with a ux1 after I got the Babyface.

The Babyface is not firewire but USB.

Could it be a conflict with total mix? May try it again and close totalmix.

By the way what damage is done when getting the blue screen? Sorry for dumb question but is that damaging my computer?

Dont really want to use the Pod HD going in through Babyface ins because then I would have to just use the little screen on the Pod, and for me that is a pain!

Looks like a new Pod may be headed to Ebay.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
ivansc

Apologies!

I no longer use my UX hardware since I can access all the gearbox and podfarm 2 stuff without it.
Maybe this would work better for you.

NOTE: You still have to use A USB interface for this to work, so the babyface should be fine.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
superhawk

Boy I don't want to read about probs with the POD HD as I'm wanting one. LOL.

But why go thru POD into interface into computer? Can't you go straight from POD to Computer?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
riccol

Well yea... Sure i can go right into the computer via usb.... Tried it all kinds of way today and had a bunch of crashes ...

that is obviously the most convient and best way to go ...you can us the on screen editing.

But its It's the USB that is causing the conflict and crashes I'm pretty sure.
So I could go out from the Pod to my ins on my babyface ... But that is not worth the hassle of editing with that little window onthe pod. Bummer.

Works if I shut down reaper ... Then unplug my Babyface... And close totalmx. Then restart reaper.

If record tracks with the Pod, I have to save an then close reaper,... Then be sure I close the pod software....then open reaper then my Babyface, totalmix and change inputs in Reaper.

I think that fixes it..... But not real sure... But it ain't worth the hassle!!!

So a new pod I got as a gift is going on ebay!

No problem with line 6 stuff with my previous soundcard (echo Audiofire 4)

But the pod goes way before my Babyface ...love that thing!!!

Last edited by riccol; 01-03-2012 at 06:10 PM.
riccol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
riccol

Forgive the crappy typing..... I suck at ipad typing!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhawk View Post
Boy I don't want to read about probs with the POD HD as I'm wanting one. LOL.

But why go thru POD into interface into computer? Can't you go straight from POD to Computer?
If its a problem its been around pre POD HD and again if its a problem its only when using the POD along with another sound card and not using the actual POD as the soundcard.

I have been very happy with the HD Pro so far btw. If I'm not using by FF800 I never see the crash, just like I never see the crash when the POD isn't connected via USB and the FF800 is. It appears to take both to cause the crash and the actual crash is in the Fireface kernel driver which I know for sure. I think it is beyond USB specifically since I see it in firewire as well.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-03-2012 at 06:17 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
ivansc

It sounds like you re expecting both interfaces to use ASIO concurrently. That wont work and is why Line6 have freed the podfarm from its link to just their USB interface.

Try using Podfarm that came with the Pod and plug guitar into Baby fe with NO Line6 hardware.

It ill work if you have the latest versions.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
That wont work and is why Line6 have freed the podfarm from its link to just their USB interface.
They need to add the ability to totally bypass any Line6 ASIO drivers period. For some reason they assume everyone who uses a POD wants to also use it as their DAW sound card. This isn't always the case.

I want the POD for guitar tones and the ability to edit patches from the computer only. That ability should be separate from ASIO but they appear to have mixed accessing the device and sound card capabilites into a single kernel driver which is where the conflict comes from if one wants to use their own sound card. It could be ASIO conflict like you said and even more reason to be able to disable the damn thing from being a soundcard altogether. Especially since the user doesn't need to attempt to use both for this to happen, the fact that the ASIO driver even loads is the issue.

Not to sound harsh but it shouldn't be that way and I've had to deal with it for almost 3 years now. Its a little frustrating to keep the POD's USB unplugged until you need it so that you don't randomly BSOD the box.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
riccol

Bingo Karbo! You nailed it.

Just too much hassle for the benefit of the pod to much hassle!!

Just listed it on Ebay! Someone will get a good deal

I liked it. and it was a little, (very little) better in some ways than my VST plugs.

But Not enough for the hassle.

Hey Ivansc!
what do you mean "try using Podfarm that came with the Pod?"

Pod farm did not come with the pod... unless I missed something.

Last edited by riccol; 01-04-2012 at 08:26 PM.
riccol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
ivansc

Oh dear - I assumed everyone else got Podfarm 1 (at least) with their Line6 box. Version one was included when I got my UX1 & then I got a free upgrade to version 2, which is what I use nowadays when recording on the mobile rig.
And like I said you dont need to even have the Line6 ASIO drivers involved at all, but I can see where if you DONT have podfarm, there is no way to access Pod sounds without having the pod plugged in and using Line6 ASIO.

Bummer.
And fwiw I find myself using the Pod 2 I have less and less now I dont do much live stuff any more. It may have to go.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Oh dear - I assumed everyone else got Podfarm 1 (at least) with their Line6 box.
Good point, however, I have several versions of POD Farm but don't use it much. I use it once in a blue moon (mostly the individual pedal VSTs) but I prefer my guitar processing OFF of the DAW CPU (and the joy of 100% zero latency) while using the $700.00 black box dedicated to that very job.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. I have 5 PODs lying around! Its just the lastest models can be inconvenient when not using it as a Soundcard.