Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
Mind Riot
Human being with feelings

Default You may have to be crazy to pass this up...

Waves SSL E-Channel now has it's own separate license instead of only being available as part of the $750 SSL bundle, and they're offering it for $29.

This is easily one of the best plugs Waves has ever made, and also easily the best and most useful in the SSL bundle. This is really a steal.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/ssl-e-channel
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
zeekat

What's the advantage of such channel strip plugin over, say, a generic combo like reaEQ + reacomp? Does it really sound better or do people use it because it sort of looks like a real recording desk?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
trevlyns

Just curious - the ad says 'Available only for Waves v9.91' - what's that all about?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Aeolian

SmackLabs Logic Channel is better, portable, and free.

X86 is the only drawback.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:25 AM   #5
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
What's the advantage of such channel strip plugin over, say, a generic combo like reaEQ + reacomp? Does it really sound better or do people use it because it sort of looks like a real recording desk?
It most definitely has a distinctive sound; whether you prefer that sound is another question. It's modeled after a channel strip from an SSL SL4000 E series console, so it's aiming for the sound of that console and not a super clean sound.

It has very usable EQ curves and a lovely compression section, and a sound I'd describe as lively and punchy. I have the whole SSL 4000 collection and the E-channel is easily the most useful plug in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post
Just curious - the ad says 'Available only for Waves v9.91' - what's that all about?
I believe Waves has only introduced this new separate licensing for this plug apart from the SSL 4000 collection with their latest version of licensing software. So if you want the E-channel on its own you'll have to have the latest.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 AM   #6
Obicere

Even cheaper at audiodeluxe (no association) at the moment with their exclusive coupon. I got it for $24.89.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:04 AM   #7
MrBongo

i am lucky enough to get to mix on an SSL AWS regularly, which has the E-series channel strips built into it, with modernized components for less noise. Sounds totally awesome, and it´s certainly very difficult to come any close to this exact sound with stock plugins.

For 29 bucks that really is a no-brainer, if you want the sound. Other things work just as well though
MrBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:32 AM   #8
ivansc

I have the original SSL plugin channel strip. Not sure I need to be spending even this little on another SSL emulation from a "lesser" source. I mean, it aint going to be better than the original, is it? Or is it?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:23 AM   #9
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

To be honest, I'm on the fence with this one. I got the email and my initial response was to just go and grab it. But....

Then I started to think about it and am really wondering how much I'd actually use it. I already have a bunch of very good paid and free plugins for EQ and compression in the character category (iZotope vintage, Klanghelm MJUC, TDR Slick EQ GE and various others).

On the one hand, this is all in one and modelled on a classic console supposedly very accurately.
On the other hand, there are many other reasons big studios have Neve, SSL and other high end desks. To emulate parts of the channel strip in software isn't going to give you an SSL E series console even if it does give you part of the character.

Ok, ok, it's only thirty bucks (closer to fifty in Australia with exchange rates) and that is why I'm on the fence about it.

Another thing, I'm actually not a huge fan of SSL E series HF EQ either. The low end and mids are OK though (but nothing great) and the compression is nice. I'm much more a fan of vintage Neve or API for EQ. Neve 1073 EQ in particular is my thing for character.
However, with the Waves SSL, throw in the gate and expander into a single channel strip that is probably much lower in CPU use than my other character options and perhaps it is worth it. Maybe..

Hmmmm........

Last edited by Dannii; 06-26-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 AM   #10
brynolf

Darn, did I just miss it? It was still on sale when I got off the bus half an hour ago...
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:09 AM   #11
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I agree. Only the gate part of the Waves plugin impressed me. The comp is pretty horrible - very grabby, clicky attack.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #12
bobtom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynolf View Post
Darn, did I just miss it? It was still on sale when I got off the bus half an hour ago...
Still available here: https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products...-ssl-e-channel
Old 06-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
nightscope

Quote:
What's the advantage of such channel strip plugin over, say, a generic combo like reaEQ + reacomp?
You have everything in one GUI. Gate, comp, eq, filters, sidechain controls & wotnot. Using separate plugins would entail having four different GUI's to load up, open, close, position on the screen so you can see wot's going on. Plus all the routing is contained within the one GUI. To adjust the routing for separate plugs would entail much more faffing around, rearranging plugs in the insert slots, messing around with sidechains, etc. Also you can see the current signal flow between the individual elements of the strip LED's in the one GUI. A strip is a one-stop solution for eq and dynamics manipulation rather than a four-stop solution.

Quote:
Does it really sound better or do people use it because it sort of looks like a real recording desk?
In a way, yes and yes. On a decent desk you have everything permanently visible and controllable. See it, turn it, nothing is ever hidden. So, if greater ergonomic control leads someone to a better sound, so be it. Good desks are monstrously pricey and that's before you factor in the conversion. Software strips do a good job of providing some of the ergonomic benefits of a desk in software. Without real knobs and buttons

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #14
Obicere

Oh my, now the Waves "Mega Summer Sale" begins... 'Scheps 73' $42. I've got the NLS which is why I was interested in the SSL, but the Neve also beckons.

Last edited by Obicere; 06-26-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Obicere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 AM   #15
brynolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtom1 View Post
Cool, thanks!
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #16
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I wouldn't mind if it had a nice 'Drive' also.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote