Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
Wolffman
Human being with feelings

Default EZdrummer 2 , should i buy it ?

I've been checking out the vids on youtube for EZ2 and i gotta say it looks pretty bloody good !

Thing is i already have Superior 2, Jamstix, and BFD Eco, plus some sampled kits in Knotakt and short circuit.

Its the "Edit playstyle window" thats really got my attention, the amount and velocity control knobs really open up a lot of possibilites, or at least the concept does.
Just how well it works in real world application is an unknown at this time but i think Toontrack will have done extensive testing.

I gotta say i've been very happy with the combination of Jamstix and SD2, but the new features in EZ2 really have the potential to speed up writing drum tracks, and possibly getting even better results.

Pros & cons, whats your thoughts ?

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
3dmus

I think I'm going to buy it. I've got EZdrummer 1, Superior Drummer 2, some EZX extension packs and some Kontakt libraries.

The videos look very impressive, especially the intuitive way of modifying/building the MIDI grooves (power hand etc). I have to say, normally I use V-drums or program my own drums, but it still looks incredibly cool and useful. Even if I don't end up using the groove building stuff, I still get some new drum kits for a reasonable price (79 EUR for the upgrade from EZdrummer 1).
3dmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
jazzmandan

I bought it. Totally sold by the marketing and hype. Too cool to avoid. And it has been concluded here in the forum, "...you can't have too many drum vsti's"
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
BobF

I've had EZD1 since last year. I pre-ordered EZD2 a few days ago for $90. Tank of gas and a pizza, or EZD2? Simple choice
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
billybk1

I purchased the upgrade for $89 (been an avid EZD user from the beginning....2006) from Sweetwater as a "pre-sale" a couple of weeks ago. I went to check out the new TT site last week and registered my serial number (Sweetwater sent via email) and lo and behold EZD 2 was available for download!!!!!! Oh happy day........ I thought it was TT giving early upgraders a jump on everyone else. I downloaded, installed (3.7GB's worth) and authorized (online) without a hitch. Everything is working as expected and all of my EZX's (all 10 of them) were updated to version 2 as well.

Come to find out, the EZD 2 was an early RC release and was posted by mistake. I was one of the few that was able to download the "preview" before TT took it down. I was later informed via email, by TT support, that it is a fully working RC and I should not have any problems, but when the official 2.0 is released I should uninstall the RC version and install the official release one.

Anyway, I have been having a great time getting used to all of the new features and it really does live up to the hype. So many new and useful features it is really like a new program, but still keeps the "EZ" feel to it. Also, I have not encountered any REAPER issues with EZD 2 either. It has been extremely stable and responsive. Kits load a lot quicker too. In the screen capture below, using the new tap to find, search/browser, edit play and song creation features, I was able to create a custom 6/8 groove with full song structure tailored to my new acoustic guitar arrangement, in a matter of minutes. Bada boom, bada bing....full drum track done! It is that EZ!

For any EZD users, it is a very worthwhile upgrade and I highly recommend it!!!

[img]https://imagizer.**************/v2/801x723q90/836/bdxv.jpg[/img]

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Last edited by billybk1; 05-04-2014 at 07:58 AM.
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Fergler

I definitely like the look of it's creative possibilities as well as the sound quality and controls for it. It's on my list of things to get when disposable income magically appears.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #7
Wolffman

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, But i'll have you know you guys have cost me $160:00 au

I went for EZD 1 with the free upgrade to EZD2, its just a couple of days to wait but i'm really looking forward to it.

Just had a quick play with EZD1 and it actually has a couple things i didn't know about, the way you can strip the kit back to just a few pieces is cool and the presets like dry, roomy etc are also usefull.
This is cool as i thought you pretty much got the one sound with EZD1 but its more versatile than expected.

Come on May 6

Cheers

Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Likko

I was wondering something, maybe a silly question.

If I bought EZD 1 today and get the free upgrade, do I get more sounds? Say, I'd have the first versions sound banks and they'd import into version 2?

Or will the new release come with all of the sounds of the original anyways? Figured it was worth asking.
Likko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likko View Post
I was wondering something, maybe a silly question.

If I bought EZD 1 today and get the free upgrade, do I get more sounds? Say, I'd have the first versions sound banks and they'd import into version 2?

Or will the new release come with all of the sounds of the original anyways? Figured it was worth asking.

Yes, you will actually get (2) extra kits (Rock/Pop & Cocktail) in EZD 1 that are not included in EZD 2, but will be upgraded to work in EZD 2.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
Likko

Nice, Thanks Billy! 2 kits seems like a good enough reason to go that route. Guess I'll swing by the bank and give 'em my cash today and get it ordered.

I have Komplete ultimate 8 and 9 by N.I. but I'd really like an easier option for drums over what's in the Kontakt set.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
3dmus

Download link has just been made available on the toontrack website. Downloading now....
3dmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #12
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmus View Post
Download link has just been made available on the toontrack website. Downloading now....

You just couldn't wait until my download finished, could you?
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Likko

Alright, went ahead and bought version 1 yesterday and got it all setup. This may save me a great deal of time if someone knows the answer. When authorizing yesterday, and getting my computer ID code to put into the website, will that code be the same for version 2? Or do I need to goto the studio and go through the whole process again? Studio is offline, and not at home really so if I could pop in the same Computer ID on the site and get to the last step before hitting the studio that'd be pretty sweet!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Jorgen

Me too per-ordered EZD1 in 06, too bad it wasn't my sound, and with far too little control imho, only used it to preview midis. Maybe this is the one, hmm...?
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #15
Kofiers

Default A little question

Any of you guys encoutered this problem?

I just installed the V2 after using the V1 for a little while. The installation is in my VSTi folder but Reaper can only load the V1 even after the re-scan.
I renamed the "dfh sampler" name to EZDrummer when I was using the V1: could that rename create a conflict?
The weird thing is that I can load the V2 outside of Reaper without any problem.

Is there any way to fix that? I already tried to uninstall the V2 without removing the V1.

Thank you for your help!

Edit: My Reaper is a 64-bit version, the EZDrummer V1 was on 32-bit and I installed the 64-bit for the V2.

Last edited by Kofiers; 05-06-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Kofiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
jazzmandan

I am a couple of hours behind you. I will let you know how it goes for me as I repeat your same workflow here.
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #17
Barksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likko View Post
Alright, went ahead and bought version 1 yesterday and got it all setup. This may save me a great deal of time if someone knows the answer. When authorizing yesterday, and getting my computer ID code to put into the website, will that code be the same for version 2? Or do I need to goto the studio and go through the whole process again? Studio is offline, and not at home really so if I could pop in the same Computer ID on the site and get to the last step before hitting the studio that'd be pretty sweet!
Your comp ID will be the same on that computer for all EZ products. If you have already reg/auth EZ1, then when you install and open EZ2, it will just prompt you to log in, then it is authorised. You don't jump through the same hoops.
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofiers View Post
Any of you guys encoutered this problem?

I just installed the V2 after using the V1 for a little while. The installation is in my VSTi folder but Reaper can only load the V1 even after the re-scan.
I renamed the "dfh sampler" name to EZDrummer when I was using the V1: could that rename create a conflict?
The weird thing is that I can load the V2 outside of Reaper without any problem.

Is there any way to fix that? I already tried to uninstall the V2 without removing the V1.

Thank you for your help!

Edit: My Reaper is a 64-bit version, the EZDrummer V1 was on 32-bit and I installed the 64-bit for the V2.
did you point reaper to scan for vst's in the place the 64 bit version is located? Are you using 64 bit reaper? Are you on a 64 bit OS???
Old 05-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #19
Wolffman

What a bummer, EZD2 needs Win 7 or later to install

This sucks !! I read somewhere on the reaper forum that someone had contact with a beta tester who had installed on win xp without problems but, no joy here, i can't install on my main desktop as i'm still on xp on that machine.

I will have to install on my laptop which has no firewire port so i can't hook
it up to my interface ( bummer again )

Still i should be able to do a drum track in stand alone mode on the laptop and move the midi file over to use in SD2 on my main computer.

Now i'm wondering if i just copy the new EZD2 drum libraries over to my toontrack folder will i have acess to the libs in SD2, goes anyone here know if that will work ?

I will ask this question over at the Toontrack forum, but if anyone here knows if this will work or, knows of a workaround to get EZD2 installed on Win XP that would be great.

Cheers

Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
jazzmandan

Way cool. The install of the 64x was flawless although I have been working only in standalone. Watching all those pre-release videos surely paid off as i was tweaking custom grooves in minutes. Looks like this may live up to all the hype.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #21
Kofiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
did you point reaper to scan for vst's in the place the 64 bit version is located? Are you using 64 bit reaper? Are you on a 64 bit OS???
Sure thing! My reaper already loaded all the other VSTi from the appropriate folder.
I'm using the 64-bit version for both Reaper and my OS.
I found out the solution a few minutes ago before checking the forum: the thing is that the EZDrummer V1 was 32 bit and I was installing the 64-bit V2.
I guess that may have created a conflict.

Everything's working fine now but there's a little thing that bugs me and it already happened with the V1.
How come that if I open EzDrummer in Reaper, it is sometimes not possible to hear the EZDrummer sound from the window unless I click outside that place in Reaper? The record monitoring option is on.
Here's a pic for you to see where the problem is: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/e119354...03167e0fbe.jpg

Thank you for your answer!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #22
jazzmandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofiers View Post
Everything's working fine now but there's a little thing that bugs me and it already happened with the V1.
How come that if I open EzDrummer in Reaper, it is sometimes not possible to hear the EZDrummer sound from the window unless I click outside that place in Reaper? The record monitoring option is on.
Here's a pic for you to see where the problem is: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/e119354...03167e0fbe.jpg

Thank you for your answer!
Confirmed, the same problem here. I had never loaded the V1 dll into Reaper. Only using V2 and 64bit (Reaper and EZD2). I see the question are beginning to flood into the toontrack forum. Lots of DAW related issues. This will be the first Reaper problem reported. It's a shame since everything looks so good except for this. Will likely take a while to fix....

Just added this

http://www.toontrack.com/forum/reque...eaper/#p141299

Last edited by jazzmandan; 05-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #23
jazzmandan

Why is the x64 EZD2 opening as a bridged plugin? Both Reaper and the EZD2 are x64? Could this be the problem?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 AM   #24
Barksy

I'm on v4.591, and i don't seem to be having this bridged issue, nor the muted issue. All works well whether i open 64 or 32 Reaper.

The ezdrummer dll file is in each 32 & 64 VST folder. When choosing the ezdrummer VST in Reaper, there is no option to choose 32 or 64 like some plugs do, it just seems to know which one to load.

Sorry guys, no help here, but it does (or can) work correctly in Reaper.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #25
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmandan View Post
Why is the x64 EZD2 opening as a bridged plugin? Both Reaper and the EZD2 are x64? Could this be the problem?
In order for Reaper to find the proper VST (64 or 32 bit)... you need to list your VST folder paths in the proper order. For VSTs with the same name Reaper will pick the last one listed. So if you need to use 64 bit plugins, be sure your 64 bit VSTs are listed 'last' in the preferences.

Easiest way to accomplish this is to create custom folders for your VSTs. For example: "C:\VST 64" and "C:\VST 32".

Then list them in the VST paths with the 64 bit folder last (if you are using 64 bit Reaper). It should look like this...

C:\VST 32;C:\VST 64 (note the semi-colon separating the two folders)

Old 05-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #26
jazzmandan

Good advice. However, both Reaper the EZD2 are x64. I did not install the 32bit EZD2 and .dll is in its own directory created by EZD2. So the mystery continues.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #27
Barksy

I had the EZD1, so when updating to EZD2, it didn't give me a choice where to install, it showed during the installation where it was going to install and that was where all the EZD1 original files & dll's were.

i was thinking if it was the install of EZD2 without the original version might be causing you issues, but it Kofiers had the original version installed and had same problems...then no...

I went to only install x64 EZD2, but it came up that it was going to install in x86 program folder which spun me out a bit. I couldn't change it. So i just installed x86 EZD2, then later installed x64 EZD2.

Doesn't really explain the issue, but explains how i got it to work without any problems. i might install it on my other computer tomorrow and have another look.

When you installed x64 EZD2, did it advise you it would install in x86 program folder, and did it give you the option to change that or change where to install the dll file?

Sorry if rambling, it's late here in Sydney and trying to help.

Last edited by Barksy; 05-08-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #28
jazzmandan

Appreciate any help. Thanks much.

I have been over in the toontrack forum. It is a mess. Seems they just implemented a new support website and it is just not working. I think it was designed by the same folks who launched the ObamaCare Web site.

But I remain encouraged seeing others do have EZDe running in Reaper.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #29
grayter1

Bought it yesterday and love it. I recently did a clean install of my MBP, and had not installed EZD1 again, so I wondered if I'd have any issues. I skipped the EZD1 install, went right for the 2 upgrade with no problems.

Like others have said, the pre-release vids sold me, and so far, it's lived up to the hype.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #30
DVDdoug

EZdrummer 2 is reviewed in the current issue of Recording Magazine (June 2014). Before getting into the actual review of the new version, he says people get good results with EZdrummer:

Quote:
For nearly 20 years now, I've followed the submissions to our Reader's Tapes column looking for relationships between the gear used and the end results. I'm particularly interested the fact that many of our readers don't play drums themselves, or have a live drummer...

Some use drum machines, some drag and drop drum loops... and arrange them in their DAWs, some use rhythm box plug-ins, and the results are all over the map... Whether it's bad samples, unrealistic mixing, sloppy effects, or a groove no real drummer would play, these less-than-stellar drum tracks can drag an entire song down...

Comparing gear lists to critique results, a small handful of products could be traced consistently to excellent drum tracks. [EZdrummer] was not only among the most consistent of the virtual drummers but also among the most affordable.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 06-04-2014 at 11:23 AM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
Wolffman

Well, i'm not all that impressed with EZD2 for song writing, SO FAR!

To be honest i spent four hours last night trying to get a drum track ( full song ) done with EZD2 and had no luck at all getting what i had in my head into a finished drum midi, i'm less than impressed with that side of EZD2 so far.
But to be fair i'm very particular with drum tracks and that groove kind of works, or i can change the feel of my song to work with this groove isn't good enough for me, it has to be right or its just not.

I know i could have programed the entire track in the midi editor in that time and have exactly what i wanted, apart from tweaks during the course of finishing the song, or used Jamstix, it always gets my 80-90% of the way there with JS, then final tweaks in the midi editor.

Its early days though and i'm not giving up on it yet, maybe its just this praticular song but i couldn't find anything that worked, very frustrating.

What is adding to the frustration is that i can only install EZD2 on my laptop which doesn't intergrate with my main interface( firewire )/DAW which is still on Win XP so anything i do on the laptop has to be transfered to the main DAW, and i won't be able to use the new sounds in my tracks ( in SD2 for example ), i would have to split them out and record the audio out from EZD2 then import into the main session.
If only Toontrack had made EZD2 XP compatible

I'm going to try writing the main feel in the midi editor and saving the midi files and drop those into the search function in EZD2 and see if i have any more sucess, i'll keep you posted.

Cheers

PS: Sorry for the rant, i guess i'm just a little ticked off atm.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #32
ashasha

I bought v1 as soon as I saw the preview on youtube about a month ago.

Installed last night, zero problems, had watched about a million videos prior to release so I knew where everything was. Tap 2 Find is fantastic and both the song creator and groove editor thing are great.

But I'm also one of those people that just doesn't do well with programming drums from scratch and hates messing around with finding loops and stuff. This just made my life about 200% easier.
ashasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #33
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Well, i'm not all that impressed with EZD2 for song writing, SO FAR!

To be honest i spent four hours last night trying to get a drum track ( full song ) done with EZD2 and had no luck at all getting what i had in my head into a finished drum midi, i'm less than impressed with that side of EZD2 so far.
But to be fair i'm very particular with drum tracks and that groove kind of works, or i can change the feel of my song to work with this groove isn't good enough for me, it has to be right or its just not.

I know i could have programed the entire track in the midi editor in that time and have exactly what i wanted, apart from tweaks during the course of finishing the song, or used Jamstix, it always gets my 80-90% of the way there with JS, then final tweaks in the midi editor.

Its early days though and i'm not giving up on it yet, maybe its just this praticular song but i couldn't find anything that worked, very frustrating.

What is adding to the frustration is that i can only install EZD2 on my laptop which doesn't intergrate with my main interface( firewire )/DAW which is still on Win XP so anything i do on the laptop has to be transfered to the main DAW, and i won't be able to use the new sounds in my tracks ( in SD2 for example ), i would have to split them out and record the audio out from EZD2 then import into the main session.
If only Toontrack had made EZD2 XP compatible

I'm going to try writing the main feel in the midi editor and saving the midi files and drop those into the search function in EZD2 and see if i have any more sucess, i'll keep you posted.

Cheers

PS: Sorry for the rant, i guess i'm just a little ticked off atm.
I dont have ezd 2 but in several forums could have sworn folks have got EZD 2 to install on XP. Toontrack says its not supported but I think some ppl are getting installed somehow with mixed results.

I can't find the thread on their new forum (which needs some work bigtime) or i'd link you to it

I have a question

I heard that the tap2find and the other midi magic at one time at least, only worked with toontrack midi. Is that the case? Maybe if you don't have a massive toontrack midi library, the whole create a song thing is less effective?
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
I dont have ezd 2 but in several forums could have sworn folks have got EZD 2 to install on XP. Toontrack says its not supported but I think some ppl are getting installed somehow with mixed results.

I can't find the thread on their new forum (which needs some work bigtime) or i'd link you to it

I have a question

I heard that the tap2find and the other midi magic at one time at least, only worked with toontrack midi. Is that the case? Maybe if you don't have a massive toontrack midi library, the whole create a song thing is less effective?
Yes, thats true it only works with Toontrack midi, and in my case i only have the stock EZD 1 & 2 libraries so that will be a limiting factor for sure.

Cheers

Old 05-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #35
jzquantum

I'm sold. As a bass player, I hate programming drums, and I have not found a live drummer to work with yet.

Waiting for electronic download approval now. Dang this interweb communication! It makes me broke.
jzquantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #36
Lerxst

I totally broke down and bought this. I blame this thread! (I was supposed to be going almost all freeware) Oh well... A drummer without the other stuff is worth it
Lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:32 AM   #37
Edwood

Anyone find a way to turn off the Metronome in Tap 2 Find? Thank's
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 AM   #38
jazzmandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Yes, thats true it only works with Toontrack midi, and in my case i only have the stock EZD 1 & 2 libraries so that will be a limiting factor for sure.

Cheers
From the marketing wizards at Toontrack. Search looks at everything there is even if you don't have it.

"...You can check out all MIDI from Toontrack in EZdrummer 2 by clicking "Show Web Shop MIDI" button in the search tab. This will give you previews of the MIDI that's available to purchase in the web shop. If you find a MIDI groove that you like, click the blue button at the left side of the file and it will tell you from what MIDI pack the MIDI file comes from."
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #39
W3EZ

Hey all, first post here. Been a member for a little while and I've just been lurking because I'm a noob at recording/DAWs...and wouldn't have anything useful to contribute.

Plus, I've been able to solve any problems by simply RTFM and searching posts here.

I do think I might be able to maybe help Wolffman here...possibly.

First, I would suggest watching all of Toontrack's youtube vids, particularly their tutorial, which was only released a few days ago, and wasn't (I believe) part of their webcast series.

Also, in reading what you were having trouble with, I think you might get better results quicker by using the "Tap 2 Find" feature. Use a controller, not a mouse. Maybe a mouse will work for you, but it doesn't work very well for me. So, say you've got a groove you're mostly happy with, but you'd like to add ride hits on beats 1, 2, and the second half of 3. Just use the T2F feature and hit the ride when you want it. The program will show a list of "matches" that you can audition. When you find an exact match, you can copy and paste only the ride hits into your groove. If you find a close, but not exact match, copy it anyway and then tweak it in the piano roll editor.

TT did say that a major goal of theirs was to cut way down, if not eliminate altogether, working with midi in piano roll.

I find it a fairly intuitive way of working, but then again, I'm pretty new at this stuff so I don't really have a way of doing things that has become habit over many years.

Anyway, hope that helped you at least a little bit.

And, thanks to you and the others who've shared your deep knowledge in this forum, I appreciate it.
W3EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #40
Kofiers

Jazzmandan: Glad to hear I'm not the only one having this kind of problem. Thank you for posting that too in the EZDrummer forum.

After reading the differents replies, I guess there's no issue to fix it for the moment?