Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
DataLighter
Human being with feelings

Default Drum Layering with Addictive Drums / Samples

Despite doing my best to research the forums and external resources, I haven't been able to fully establish the most appropriate workflow for this.

What would be the best way to sequence drums through either sampler or Addictive Drums 2.0 & layer their kicks/snares for additional sound design?

Your constructive inputs will be greatly appreciated!
DataLighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
edkilp

What?
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
Wolffman

Doesn't the new AD2 allow layeryng of drums from within the plugin ?

I'm sure i saw someone doing that on youtube.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
DataLighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Doesn't the new AD2 allow layeryng of drums from within the plugin ?

I'm sure i saw someone doing that on youtube.

Cheers
AD2 allows sound design to some extent through handful of FX like compression, distortion, eq, and tape, etc. but doesn't seem to allow layering of multiple kicks on the VST itself for example.

It seems that there are two options:
1. Utilize flexi slots (loaded with different kicks) and link them with main kick

OR

2. Sample different kicks from the VST into audio form in Reaper and work manually to align them together & seperately EQ them (This sound inefficient)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
roobiz

This might not be the most helpful response, but I recall doing this with one of my tracks last year, I think. I had read about sample replacement/layering and wanted to try it. There is a function in REAPER that will analyze the transients and create slices or selections that can then be populated with an audio item, I -think-. If you route your outputs from AD into REAPER (separate tracks) and then record arm the tracks so the MIDI data plays through them, you will have the waveforms for kick/snare/etc to work with.

Although, I haven't been able to get my AD2 to route onto separate channels as I did the previous vanilla AD. I guess in a long, roundabout way, the answer is YES! This is possible. I will take a look at it tonight and maybe I can offer some more useful info. Cheers.
roobiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataLighter View Post
AD2 allows sound design to some extent through handful of FX like compression, distortion, eq, and tape, etc. but doesn't seem to allow layering of multiple kicks on the VST itself for example.

It seems that there are two options:
1. Utilize flexi slots (loaded with different kicks) and link them with main kick

OR

2. Sample different kicks from the VST into audio form in Reaper and work manually to align them together & seperately EQ them (This sound inefficient)
Glue it, then change the VST drum sound.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
edkilp

In AD2 you use the FLEXI channels to layer kicks over kicks, etc.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
DataLighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobiz View Post
This might not be the most helpful response, but I recall doing this with one of my tracks last year, I think. I had read about sample replacement/layering and wanted to try it. There is a function in REAPER that will analyze the transients and create slices or selections that can then be populated with an audio item, I -think-. If you route your outputs from AD into REAPER (separate tracks) and then record arm the tracks so the MIDI data plays through them, you will have the waveforms for kick/snare/etc to work with.

Although, I haven't been able to get my AD2 to route onto separate channels as I did the previous vanilla AD. I guess in a long, roundabout way, the answer is YES! This is possible. I will take a look at it tonight and maybe I can offer some more useful info. Cheers.
Thank you for your insights. Yes, that was precisely what I had in mind with option #2, but it seemed inefficient way to layer them: Not only you can't switch out the kicks quickly if they aren't friendly with one another (having to resample from AD output), changing parameters in AD host plugin would mean resampling again.
I suppose that's the trade-off of working with waveform rather than MIDI exclusively though. I'll experiment with it further and update on the progress.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
roobiz

Quote:
Thank you for your insights. Yes, that was precisely what I had in mind with option #2, but it seemed inefficient way to layer them: Not only you can't switch out the kicks quickly if they aren't friendly with one another (having to resample from AD output), changing parameters in AD host plugin would mean resampling again.
I suppose that's the trade-off of working with waveform rather than MIDI exclusively though. I'll experiment with it further and update on the progress.
Yeah I can commiserate on the difficulties of the workflow you mentioned. It seems most times I will leave my drums as MIDI for as long as possible. I always want to change accents or ghost notes, stuff like that. Maybe you could have an instance of RS5K with the kick sample you plan on adding in, and then arm both RS5K & AD2 and play the kick with the same MIDI note. Just an idea. Hope you get something nailed down that works for you!
roobiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Fergler

Create a second track, route the midi to it from the first track, and put another AD2 on it. Bring levels down on both to match.

If you want it all on one track, use channels 3/4 using the routing matrix and then use the js channel mixer to merge all 4 channels back into stereo 1/2.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
DataLighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Glue it, then change the VST drum sound.
Could you elaborate on that please?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Could you elaborate on that please?
If you don't need to constantly adjust but rather layer two kits etc. You can "Apply FX as new take" which will create a rendered copy of let's say "Kit 1". At this point you have the WAV file you just rendered including the sampled sounds (take 2) and the original MIDI info (take 1). You can now activate the original MIDI take, switch to another kit in AD and you have two separate kits (on rendered and one in AD); at this point only one take can be heard at a time.

We could take several routes with this...

- Move that WAV take to a new track, then switch kits in the original track.

- Don't move it, and set the item to "play all takes" and keep them both on the same track where the WAV (kit 1) and the MIDI (kit 2) are both heard at the same time while on the same track.

- Keep them on the same track but keep switching kits and rendering to new takes which would eventually leave you with rendered versions of each kit as individual takes on the same track. Then you could "Explode all takes to tracks" when done and you would have "n" tracks of each kit that you could mix together in various ways.

There are multiple permutations (possibly better than what I described above) and if it works and/or which one you use depends on your requirements. It could be extremely simple or too complex, just depends on your exact needs. Just depends.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-21-2014 at 04:49 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
DataLighter

Thank you for the inputs, I was able to layer them together through selecting & linking the flexi slots accordingly (kick with kick, snare with snare) and adjusting the ADSR of each all onboard VST.