Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Default Just got a Studio One 2 Pro NFR...

...and I must say, this is one helluva well thought out software!

Things are extremely intuitive right from the start, I didn't even feel the need to RTFM (which I will, naturally, do at some point, because I love reading manuals ). I feel if they add mouse modifier editing and more keyboard customizability it will be very formiddable indeed. I love how they did the CC lanes and how you can write automation to any plugin parameter directly in the MIDI editor... this is something Reaper should definitely take a look at. Too bad you can only have 2 CC lanes at once, but I suspect that's for keeping it clean. Having a dozen of these lanes is certainly not efficient either. Inspector is great. It's awesome how MIDI editor turns into audio editor when you select an audio clip instead of a MIDI clip. Splendid! The media explorer is a work of a genius - nuff said.

Things I find missing (just briefly skimming through it, I'm on day one here!): built-in bit-bridge. I just don't want to use jBridge. There's no all-notes-off/MIDI panic button. Too bad we can't rename the plugins however we want to. I don't need all those underlines in some plugin names, or x64 suffixes, etc.

All in all, I think I like it and will continue using it alongside Reaper.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Jae.Thomas

I found it quite the opposite - I was struggling to figure out what to do at first hehe.... but I don't mind it as much as other software It's certainly better than cubase for me.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Doc Brown

I bought a copy and was using it before Reaper. I thought it was good but still felt a little clunky. Didn't like the color scheme at all. Editing tools I don't like. I don't like track inspectors. Reaper felt far more intuitive and streamlined for me. It's basically subjective according to our brain wiring, so Reaper and I play well together.

I also like the fact that I can make Reaper look like whatever I want, which is great because I like darker color schemes.

I'm not saying that Reaper is "better" than studio one but for me anyways it's my favorite.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Found a way to rename plugins (Vstplugins.settings file). Sweet!

Still amazed at the media explorer in S1... it's so simple and extremely full-featured. Love it. Definitely an example to look upon.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Lawrence

Quote:
There's no all-notes-off/MIDI panic button.
Long time FR and a little puzzling why it's not there yet.

Quote:
Things I find missing (just briefly skimming through it, I'm on day one here!): built-in bit-bridge
Yeah, they were pretty adamant about never adding a bit bridge. I don't see that happening.

Quote:
The media explorer is a work of a genius - nuff said.
What makes it really nice for me is that it connects directly to the net, for the "stash" (Exchange), to Soundcloud for dragging files directly into arrange, etc, etc.

If you get a chance, play with the automation tracks. I did a training vid on it quite awhile back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCsbIgUvuYs
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
EvilDragon

For some reason it doesn't want to start playing that video back...
Old 07-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Lawrence

It's almost 12 minutes so it might be buffering, dunno.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Other vids from that channel work, so not sure... It's not as if I have snail-paced connection over here.

Edit: 360p works, 720p doesn't. :/

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-26-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Lawrence

Hmmm... most of my vids are uploaded as WMV HD to keep the file size down and (IIRC) Chris also had some issue like that with one of my uploads.

Maybe YT has an issue there with WMV conversions or something. No clue. It works fine here from that link. Maybe I should start using *.mp4 again.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
EvilDragon

Yep... downloaded the 720p video via keepvid.com, can't play it in my media player of choice, says cannot decode the file. (Interestingly, Firefox reports the file size at 63.5 MB, but what I see in my file browser is a 1.5 KB file!)

And yeah, MP4 might be better in the long run.

EDIT: Managed to see the vid by downloading video and audio separately and playing them back at the same time in two Media Player Classics. Some great stuff there! Automation being decoupled from their parent tracks definitely holds some great benefits to it.

Also, if I understand things correctly - there are no automation items in S1, but with the range selection tool you can effectively do wonders to heaps of non-contiguous selections, right?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-26-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Also, if I understand things correctly - there are no automation items in S1,
No automation clips, no.

Quote:
...but with the range selection tool you can effectively do wonders to heaps of non-contiguous selections, right?
I guess it depends on what you're doing or trying to do, dunno, but yeah, it certainly helps.

Automation there is pretty much still in it's 1.0 state. There's not been very much updating to it other than maybe the Transformer and some small tweaks and bug fixes. Some of the things they initially did there design wise (as is often the case) probably present some new engineering challenges when the ... "oh shit, what if it could also do this?"... types of questions pop up later.

We'll see (I guess) if there are any big changes in 3.x or whatever. Automating Event FX is one thing people want.

Re: Other stuff... Reaper's snapshots would be very high on my personal list.

Quote:
Automation being decoupled from their parent tracks definitely holds some great benefits to it.
It does. Like I said in that video, it was so new to me I had to kinda stop and think about different ways I might use it to my benefit, and that video was one of the more obvious uses.

At any rate, both S1 and Reaper are doing a lot of things that I find really useful, in practice. Like them both a lot. Never use anything else.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-26-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
donchilcott

Default Studio One

I agree, S1 is extremely intuative and the area selection and drag and drop make the best workflow I have ever hadin any daw. I use bitbridge for a few needed/missed plugins, I don't like it but in reality it just took a few minutes. Having S1 and using all the VST stuff from X3 working gives me all I need. Now if they included a loudness matching utility like Meterplugs Perception I would attain Nirvana... I still use Reaper on my duo core laptop as nothing I have found anywhere is easier on system resources as reaper and as usual Reaper is extremely stable for me...What do you think of Impact??? I use Addictive Drums but I want to learn about MPC style drum samplers...Cheers Don

Last edited by donchilcott; 07-26-2014 at 01:10 PM.
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Kundalinguist

I bought in when S1 was at version 1.65 and was totally sold on it when version 2.5 arrived. Out of the box, it is definitely the most intuitive DAW I've used. I found Reaper quite intuitive as well, especially having come from Digital Performer, but it took me longer to really "get it" compared to S1—which took me a day.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
Lawrence

Quote:
It's awesome how MIDI editor turns into audio editor when you select an audio clip instead of a MIDI clip. Splendid!
I actually missed that part of your post. You should maybe not open that "audio editor" can of worms here again given the history of some of those discussions.

But yeah, I like it also, the immediacy of the enlarged secondary view.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donchilcott View Post
What do you think of Impact??? I use Addictive Drums but I want to learn about MPC style drum samplers...Cheers Don
I use EZdrummer, AD, BFD Eco and NI Drummers... I'm not really that much fond of MPC-like pad things...
Old 07-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
Lawrence

It's really just ReaDrumOMatic with pads on it. Same thing really, maybe a better UI, but much the same thing. Drop a sound on it, trigger it.

It kinda sucks on low res laptop screens because the UI is ... kinda big, too big imo, which takes up a lot of space at lower resolutions. It's hard to drag and drop samples from the timeline on it when you can't actually see most of the timeline on a laptop.

Pro EQ also has a rather big UI, great for tweaking, not so great for leaving open at lower resolutions, but it folds up, the bottom half of it where the knobs are, which is cool, and my FR actually.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-26-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #17
siehorst

Hi and good evenning,
Quote:
All in all, I think I like it and will continue using it alongside Reaper.
Just for interest:
what makes you think you have to use something else 'alongside Reaper'?
Isn't it unsettling?
At what point you will decide to use this or that?
horst
siehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #18
EvilDragon

It isn't in the least bit unsettling.

What I wanted to say is I'm going to keep learning S1 and see how will it impact my workflow. For some things I will definitely keep continuing Reaper (fast to boot up, built in bit-bridge, lean CPU usage). For other things (VST3 support, ARA, proper groove quantize, etc.), I would go to S1.

And when I feel adventurous, a S1<->Reaper Rewire.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #19
Lawrence

It's ok to love two women.

Well, maybe not in your particular case, being recently married, that might result in some hot grits being poured on you like Al Green.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #20
EvilDragon

Hahah, good one
Old 07-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
chucky5p

Quote:
It isn't in the least bit unsettling.

What I wanted to say is I'm going to keep learning S1 and see how will it impact my workflow. For some things I will definitely keep continuing Reaper (fast to boot up, built in bit-bridge, lean CPU usage). For other things (VST3 support, ARA, proper groove quantize, etc.), I would go to S1.

And when I feel adventurous, a S1<->Reaper Rewire.
I can't believe ED finally tried S1 and liked it! I thought in your previous posts that you didn't care much that Reaper didn't have VST3 and ARA and here you go all excited!

Just teasing you It's OK to open ourselves to new things

BTW, last year at Black Friday, I got S1 for ~ 140$! That was a sweet deal

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #22
Garrick

Really dig s1

I'm hoping they improve their tempo mapping. At the moment I tempo map in reaper, export a midi item then drop it into s1.

Apart from that it's a thing of beauty
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
grayter1

All of this S1 talk made me open it up again. Great piece of software.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #24
Argle

I might use it too if i got a free copy.
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #25
hopi

Lawrence... thanks for that info about automation... did not know about that and it is truly fantastic... I still like working in reaper better but, I surely wish reaper had automation ability like that... wow.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #26
rvman

A buddy from way back contacted me about collaborating and he's big time into S1 so I might jump in too just to make things easier. I've recorded into S1 and used it at his place but never owned it.

Right now my main two loves are Reason and Reaper but if I get in to S1 then I might be putting Reaper on the back burner. But dang, I really don't want to do that. LOL.

S1 is good but that dull color scheme really bothers me after a short while.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #27
ponk

All daws are just tools, a means to an end. Reaper seems to fit the way my mind works, but S1, PT, Ableton, etc all equally valid choices. What sets Reaper apart, for me, are the forums and user community - unlike anything else I've seen on the interwebs
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #28
rvman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponk View Post
All daws are just tools, a means to an end. Reaper seems to fit the way my mind works, but S1, PT, Ableton, etc all equally valid choices. What sets Reaper apart, for me, are the forums and user community - unlike anything else I've seen on the interwebs
+1. Yes sir.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #29
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argle View Post
I would've gladly purchased it at full price seeing how well thought out it is now. I might do for v3...
Old 07-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #30
SamuelC

Is this right ED using Studio One hehehehe

Yes I also use both.

I believe using Studio One as the front end and Reaper running in the back taking care of fx serving and back tracks is incredible to use.

The mix of both of these together is incredible.

I started out in Cubase, use Cakewalk Sonar for a bit then moved to Studio One and ditched Cubase and Cakewalk

Studio One has some missing features I need ( not yet until V3 is here)

However the Automation tracks alone is worth the money they charge. The Automation tracks ( NO NOT LANES!!) is one of the most important features for me from Studio One and is critical for me.

I wished Reaper would also get Automation tracks ( Layered approach to automation)

But for now I am enjoying using both.
SamuelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #31
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky5p View Post
I thought in your previous posts that you didn't care much that Reaper didn't have VST3 and ARA and here you go all excited!
Still don't care much about VST3, but if a particular plugin is available only as VST3 plugin, it's best to have an option to open it... Seeing how Justin is quite stubborn about not supporting VST3 any time soon (might not even happen in v5, which is ridiculous if you ask me - there are various hardware synth editors which are being made as VST3 only, the number of VST3 plugins is rising, although still in great minority over VST2, but I believe it's time to support it, Cockos...), gotta have a backup solution I suppose.

I'm more excited at the prospect that I won't really need to tweak settings as much as I did with Reaper. Sure, I might miss some of the deeper functionality (mouse modifiers, for example), but it's just a different mindset. Reaper is definitely for tweakers, you can make it do coffee if you know ReaScript ()... but sometimes it's just time to get some shit done. I feel that a clean, WELL THOUGHT OUT (as opposed to "let's bolt this on here, let's use some OS elements there...") interface and intuitive and CONSISTENT UI (which Reaper certainly isn't yet, at this point) will get you to that point sooner.

You could also say that after spending 5 years with Reaper I'm a bit of tired of constant tweaking as new features arrive. Reaper really NEEDS a feature freeze version where the whole program will be made consistent regarding appearance (WALTER all the things, if you must - no default OS elements used!) and better thought out, fixing all the small usability stuff that's been bothering us throughout the years...

I'm not leaving Reaper (yet), but I'm not happy with the way things are going down at Cockos at the moment. I guess I'll wait and see what v5 brings, and if it doesn't contain anything that's important to me (automation items, per-item I/O, automatable item FX, visual poly AT and note off editing in ME, single lane editing of RPN/NRPN in ME, better visualisation of CCs, drawing automation curves in ME, subfolders in My Folders (FX Browser)... in fact, go see elevated FR list which has been badly neglected for quite some time now!), I guess I'll progressively just use it less and less.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-26-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:07 AM   #32
Sambo Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argle View Post

Try the free version(not a demo)here to see if you like it.

http://www.presonus.com/products/stu...mpare-versions
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #33
Wolffman

I got the Artist version a while back with a new interface, i haven't even installed it yet, but i might take a look at it now.

Hmm, now that i think about it i don't think it lets me use third party plugins in the Artist version, i'll have to check that out first, no point installing if thats the case.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #34
EvilDragon

Sure there's a point in installing it - see how the workflow fits ya.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 AM   #35
G-Sun

Quote:
You could also say that after spending 5 years with Reaper I'm a bit of tired of constant tweaking as new features arrive. Reaper really NEEDS a feature freeze version where the whole program will be made consistent regarding appearance (WALTER all the things, if you must - no default OS elements used!) and better thought out, fixing all the small usability stuff that's been bothering us throughout the years..
Hehe. You don't fool me.
It's been little served on the Reaper pre-release-plate now,
so you need some food
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:43 AM   #36
Mivo

Did they give it to you after they noticed how vocal you have been about Reaper on message boards over the past few years? If so, it was a clever move!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:48 AM   #37
booyuko

Ampire XT is one of the best amp simulators I tried, honestly.

S1 is slowly but surely gaining popularity, but also it's CPU hungry which can be a downer for people with weaker PC's...
booyuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:02 AM   #38
XITE-1/4LIVE

Where can we see it's progress as you get more deeply involved..?
Would love to see more as I know you have so many excellent workflow ideas where faster production/output is paramount.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #39
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Hehe. You don't fool me.
It's been little served on the Reaper pre-release-plate now,
so you need some food
Nope, I was quite honest about what I wrote in the part you quoted.

Actually, let's make it clear that I didn't get this NFR from Presonus themselves. I got it from Waldorf guys for participating in beta testing for Largo, PPG V.3 and Waldorf Edition.

So no, I am not directly involved with Presonus or their beta testing... But I figured I'd post my initial impressions here. I'll keep this thread up to date with things I find neat in S1.

BTW, Ampire is nice, but IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to TSE, Ignite, Kuassa and S-Gear!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #40
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Lawrence... thanks for that info about automation... did not know about that and it is truly fantastic... I still like working in reaper better but, I surely wish reaper had automation ability like that... wow.
No problem.

I had forgotten about that vid actually. If I'd remembered it I would have posted it in that other thread where there was long unnecessary discussion / debate about it, where I kept saying... "Reaper can't do that currently, just let it go.".

Pictures or videos are worth the proverbial 1000 words.

Quote:
Reaper is definitely for tweakers, you can make it do coffee if you know ReaScript
For sure. Reaper's scripting and API are literally second to none. I've been asking for an API in S1, don't know if they'll do it or not. If they do it will highly likely be scripted via Javascript since all their extensions currently run on JS and XML.

Anyway, here's my "baby snapshot" hack, still in alpha. Not even remotely close to Reaper's snapshots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ec6gDs8P44

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-27-2014 at 06:38 AM.