Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Should Cockos Fix or REDO Reainsert
Yes 133 93.66%
No 9 6.34%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #41
Tim Ragnur
Human being with feelings

Yeah this is such a fundamental feature. Reainsert is just a dummy with no real use as of now. It doesn't allign!
BTW have you tried muting/unmuting on a channel with Reainsert; this will (un)shift the compensated time...
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #42
Faderjockey

yes the mute thing really messes it up..
But you can turn that feature off in preferences..
Where it says muted tracks don't get processed or something like that.
If you turn that off then you can mute and unmute..
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #43
Tim Ragnur

Ah, nice! I'm gonna try that. thx
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #44
stk

Just adding my voice, FWIW, to the Yes votes.
Reainsert is being a complete pain on a bunch of stuff I'm currently working on.

I guess if nobody has addressed it in all this time, it may be a fundamental flaw in the base RPR code? Unfixable without a total rewrite?

If so (and without hyperbole), that would be a coffin nail in RPR's acceptance in the pro audio world.
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #45
vocomotion

So far, this is the thing keeping me from moving from PT to Reaper. I must have hardware inserts for my rack gear and it's completely wacky right now using ReaInsert.
vocomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #46
Jeronimo

If it only had a "global ping" that would be ALMOST perfect... so I didn't have to go adding latency manually on tens of tracks when it freaks out...
Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #47
JONK

Voted

Any news on this?
JONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #48
Faderjockey

Liked to know too
Old 03-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #49
musicbynumbers

Even I've ended up with some outboard and although I was originally for getting this fixed because of crazy friends with outboard, I too find myself in their shoes now so please fix it devs!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #50
hopi

if it ain't fixed, don't break it
Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #51
Marylin

I am another user who has problems with reainsert .. It does not work correctly. After five years with Reaper, Ihave to change DAW. My HW outboard does not work with Reaper.

Any news on this?

M.
Marylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #52
lfo2k

I would also like to have a fix for that. i am not having that much outboard gear atm, but i want to buy more in the near future.

maybe they need crowd refunds or something like that??

it would be ok for me if reaper would rise the price, if i had perfect reainsert & prefader metering
lfo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #53
stk

This bug still not addressed?
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #54
Marylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfo2k View Post
it would be ok for me if reaper would rise the price, if i had perfect reainsert & prefader metering
+1

I bought 2 great HW compressors. One week I'm trying to set up, and the result has not ... Phase problems, poor delay compensation, ... Horror.

I do not buy Cubase or PT for that. Pleas fix it!!
Marylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #55
ilr

bump

Voted. I'm adding hardware to my setup and I also would love to see this being a solid feature.
ilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #56
rothchild

I'm just joining the general pile on here to acknowledge that even with my limited use it's not quite up to snuff, I have particular issues if I have more than one instance of it in the same fx bin (so I can have compression or reverb but not both!)
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #57
effitall

Sooo...IN a year and half, this has gotten 87 "YES" votes.

This isn't going to be "fixed" any time soon.

I would note that ReaInsert works better for me now than it did back when I jumped on the Reaper bus.
effitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #58
bogo

I use it often with a hardware reverb and haven't noticed any issue.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #59
hermitcrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogo View Post
I use it often with a hardware reverb and haven't noticed any issue.
Hi,

You won't notice a problem if its for reverb as it will just increase its pre-delay.

Try it with hardware inserts like eq, compression etc on drums and there will be problems. Its always best to take all drum channels out and back in again if any drums are going to hardware otherwise phase problems can result from latency differences between those channels going to hardware and those that don't.

Come on Reaper, fix ReaInsert. It is an essential professional feature to have working right for the integration of hardware. It is a pain to have to put everything out and in again just because Reainsert doesn't work properly.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #60
supra

Default BUMP

*bump* PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!

ReaInsert with sample-accurate delay compensation would be the greatest thing ever for people using inline outboard gear, since right now it is hit and miss. What will it take to convince the Cockos dev team to address this?

Cheers!
supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #61
crootnik

wow.. haven't even used it yet... I"ll jump on that tonight.. I have all kinds of outboard gear, and in particular my SDE-300 Roland Digital Delay which has that RSS technology...that one I'd like to use....giving it a try.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #62
GP_Hawk

Going on 4 years and reaper still sits idle on my DAW....
GP_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #63
Nip

Justin attempted to collect info in this thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=reainsert

I don't know what happend since...
Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #64
henge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
Justin attempted to collect info in this thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=reainsert

I don't know what happend since...
How do you know this?
Old 09-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #65
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1 View Post
How do you know this?
Well, by reading Justins post #26.

"Can you guys provide test projects that fail (particularly if they cause crashes or hangs, but also for other situations)? Thanks. "

Did anybody send him a PM or something.

If he asks for info and don't get it, I suppose he thinks complaints are not that serious.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #66
barbaroja

Still having trouble. Does not align. Bump for this
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #67
Jeronimo

Bumping and hoping it gets fixed on V5
Old 01-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #68
funkycam

I have actually found a way to make Reainsert work on my system & render the audio so that it lines up perfectly (eg I can now do hardware parallel drum processing with no phase issues).
Don't try to record the audio into another track, instead do "online render" of a stem & then add that WAV to the session.
Mixing two records right now, but I will make a YouTube in the next few weeks to show.
Adding the functionality to Freeze would be even better, but now at least I am able to use my hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
Still having trouble. Does not align. Bump for this
funkycam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #69
Mr.Michaelz

Has the team said any word about this?
I really need outboard inserts to work perfectly timing-wise. I also have a problem with some instances that suddenly decide to ignore PDC. It seems to happen when I have several instances. I need to remove then recreate the insert for it to realign, but it fucks up 2 minutes later.

If the Reaper team want their software to be taken seriously, they have to fix hybrid integration in general.
I do not understand the silence about this. Is there anybody knowing anything about these issues?
Mr.Michaelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #70
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It's really just a question of how many are going to NOT vote the asshole option of "hey I don't care, so I don't need them to fix THAT".
I refrain from voting then. I don't want to be an asshole?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #71
henge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycam View Post
I have actually found a way to make Reainsert work on my system & render the audio so that it lines up perfectly (eg I can now do hardware parallel drum processing with no phase issues).
Don't try to record the audio into another track, instead do "online render" of a stem & then add that WAV to the session.
Mixing two records right now, but I will make a YouTube in the next few weeks to show.
Adding the functionality to Freeze would be even better, but now at least I am able to use my hardware.
Interesting! I have to try this...can't believe I never have!lol
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #72
Faderjockey

Yeah I've done the same thing to other items..Did it yesterday.
My only thing specially with drums.. is change.. tweaking as the mix goes..some times hard to commit to that blend render.. then bit later tweak again render.

I wish in 2015 with PT, Cubase and others we'd be able to use it real time..
even being able to change buffers.. It should know to calculate the difference and make it on.. We rely on computers to crunch numbers on any other thing why can't this get done.. We shouldn't have to do little work around.. it's BS!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #73
lou latch

Yes please!!

I'm trying to switch from Pro Tools to Reaper and that process lead me to this thread - good to see activity here.

A word about this topic from somebody in the know would be really nice!

I'm testing Reaper since a bit more than a week to see if it suits my workflow (using Pro Tools since 10 years now). I'm far from having figured out everything, but so far i really like it. So flexible and open compared to PT.
I most of the time record bands playing together in one room. So it's absolutely crucial for me to have a working, or at least predictable delay compensation on the inserts, as the instrument's sounds interact quite a lot through microphone bleed. I really don't like adjusting a mix for an hour just to then recognise i'm tweaking because a track is just some samples off and the mix was good before.

In good hope that it will be fixed in the not so far future: does somebody know if it works absolutely reliable when one uses the
'track to output 1-2 (e.g.) -> analogue processor -> track with input 1-2 -> master'
technique?

Or are there any better / other solid workarounds you use with success?

Many thanks, in case somebody knows and cares!

Last edited by lou latch; 02-11-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: addition
lou latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #74
meech

This is definitely one of the few areas where Reaper falls short, and it prevents me from migrating from Pro Tools just like a lot of other people.

Reainsert is so unusable, I had to use Pro Tools the other day to get something bounced through some hardware correctly!
meech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:57 AM   #75
Win Conway

Everybody having issues should email Cockos, i doubt they even read this forum looking for issues, but beware, they rarely fix things like this if it works for them personally.
In other words, instead of posting +1 doesnt work meh meh, create a project that does not work and send it to Cockos, if a feature does not do what it is supposed to and you give them that proof (project) it has more chance of getting fixed.

Last edited by Win Conway; 02-12-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #76
JONK

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech View Post
This is definitely one of the few areas where Reaper falls short, and it prevents me from migrating from Pro Tools just like a lot of other people.

Reainsert is so unusable, I had to use Pro Tools the other day to get something bounced through some hardware correctly!
Same here. I'd likely switch from PT to Reaper for good if this worked...
JONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #77
ilr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
In good hope that it will be fixed in the not so far future: does somebody know if it works absolutely reliable when one uses the
'track to output 1-2 (e.g.) -> analogue processor -> track with input 1-2 -> master'
technique?

Or are there any better / other solid workarounds you use with success?
I'm doing it a little different and it's works quiet well considering the whole problem.
I use ReaInsert to put hardware onto a track. In ReaInsert, I turn off automatic delay compensation (because it doesn't work...) and enter the latency manually. I'm always using the same buffer size and sample rate so it's always the same latency. And so far is working satisfactorily.

Here is a quick way to check if your latency is correct/find out your latency:
Put an audio file on a track. Duplicate that track, put ReaInsert on the duplicated track and invert the polarity of the track. Set the hardware to just loop the audio back into the interface (compressor in bypass, maybe not a reverb... you get the idea). If the latency is correct, both tracks will cancel each other out. Because of A/D and D/A conversion aliasing there will probably be some sound left, but you'll get close enough.
Simply save a preset of ReaInsert with the correct latency as the default preset and you are good to go.
The "normal" plug-in latency compensation will be "on top" of this and is nothing to worry about.

Rendering:
Either render (or bounce... for you PT users) the whole mix with the 1x On-line setting, or - to be absolutely safe, and that's the way I do it - render the tracks with hardware inserts before mix-down. I do this by putting the track with ReaInsert into another track (meaning: making it a child track of a new track) and set the parent track to "record output" (mono/stereo as you wish, but not latency compensated). Then, record, waiting, and some visual checking if the waveforms align just to make sure.

Sounds probably more complicated than it really is. Once you know your latency and have it as default in ReaInsert it takes like 7 seconds to insert the hardware of your choice with perfect delay compensation anywhere into your digital FX chain.

For rendering, there will always be a real time component when going out of the box, so there is nothing you can do about it any way.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
ilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #78
lou latch

Thank you very much!

There's some good info in your post.
I also found ReaInsert to be reliable, as long as you don't fiddle with routings or insert plugins or something like that while playing back audio.

When freshly starting playback it was consistently working, i think. I also did a lot of different tests with the phase reverse technique and it worked pretty good.

I just decided for safety to do what you recommended (printing stems as well as the whole mix) also, just to be sure.
And the stems also cancelled versus the stereomix :-)

So for me at the moment ReaInsert is basically working, it could and should for sure be further improved to be really stable.
But you can get work done with it when being a bit careful and keeping the quirks in mind (which i probably don't really want to do when having a critical customer attending).

Thanks again.

Last edited by lou latch; 02-13-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #79
lou latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Everybody having issues should email Cockos, i doubt they even read this forum looking for issues, but beware, they rarely fix things like this if it works for them personally.
In other words, instead of posting +1 doesnt work meh meh, create a project that does not work and send it to Cockos, if a feature does not do what it is supposed to and you give them that proof (project) it has more chance of getting fixed.
Yes, this is most probably the way to go!

I just didn't want to take that route now, having used reaper for a week. I had several moments with the program when i was sure there's a serious bug or a vital function missing, but so far i always found out something wasn't properly configured for my workflow or i just tried it the wrong way (hard to keep track of all these menues and options in the beginning :-).
Old 02-14-2015, 02:08 AM   #80
Win Conway

Well there are a lot of +1s in this thread, at some point somebody has to help the devs out with projects that fail lol
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote