Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #81
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

I hear you Vince. I would hope that people can rationally read between the lines of some of those things without getting too defensive.

I mean, if I didn't actually like Reaper I really wouldn't care what the direction was or what it's sequencer did. I don't make multiple FR's for Sonar, Logic, Samp with the "...if only you guys would do this I'd be on board..." slant. I don't really care what they do with those products.

But take for example the upload the guy posted here yesterday for mixing. It was a Reaper project in the zip. It's pretty telling to say that while I actually like mixing in Reaper, I didn't use the Reaper project because I knew it would take me much longer just to sort out and edit the midi drum tracks.

The only reason I care is because I like using - most - of it. It really would be much easier just to say "...forget it...", stop using it, stop updating licenses and supporting it financially and/or recommending it to others.

My license is good through 4.99 and that may be the last one I buy. Depending on what happens with Studio One 2.0, it may come to that. No product can reasonably be a good fit for everyone so it's not a big deal.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #82
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
who has been here just about 4 years or so - usually polite, etc. - I definitely got crucified.
I see nothing wrong with anything you've said except for what seemed to be an overly dramatic statement about the creator of the program, which I am glad people can reference and make their own decisions about. I mean no ill will or bad vibes, I just disagree with you and asked for the source. its mostly off topic anyway. Your frustration is valid and noted as your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
OBTW (and off topic) - I still appreciate your support from last November when we tragically lost our family dog, JBM. It is still very tough for us from time to time, but we did take the step just recently of adopting a rescue puppy...the house is certainly full of canine energy at the moment!

Jay
well I would say you have done something pretty awesome by taking on a new pup, especially a rescued one. Very admirable. And you would get my support, as well as many others on here, again.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #83
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by digaldeman View Post
...The MIDI editor is better but still kinda clumsy. Unfortunately...
+1 another vote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #84
inspired

what i want is pips/containers/reaparts
(oh and automation items.. )
inspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #85
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Before I get into this I just want to get a few things clear. I've been a proud user of Reaper since around v2.4 & was pretty happy with it up until about v3.5 or so, that is until I started trying out a few other DAWs just to see what I've maybe been missing. It started with Ableton Live which I loved so much I just had to snap it up the first chance I got on the kvr Market place. But as fun as Live is there are still a few short comings, such as the arrange view being very basic, no 64-bit version, no comping/take lanes & item fades is also very basic. So I thought I'd stick with Reaper for mixing & recording vocal & guitar takes, thinking that surely things will be way better in v4 (maybe my hopes were a bit too high).

So along comes v4 which is now in its Beta stage & while there have been a lot of great things added like mouse modifiers, Walter, project bays, midi scale options, arpegiated chords...well the list goes on & I'm sure I've forgotten to mention a lot of other great added features. But I think this is one of the main problems with Reaper a lot of stuff gets added but not enough work is put into improving what's already there. Take midi for example IMHO its still a bit of a mess even with some of the added features, I find it very clumsy to work with in comparison to Ableton Lives midi editor. Feature wise Lives Midi isn't up to the same standard as Reaper but it just feels right to work with & draw in. I think Reaper is loosing the plot a bit with all these added dockers, project bays & toolbars. Plus as stable as Reaper generally is it can be a bit cumbersome to edit in, sometimes you have to zoom in a lot just to put a fade on a media item.

Maybe I should hi-light some of the features & improvements I'd like to have seen. I've already said it but midi needs a lot of work still, as mentioned in another post the white windows thing is a bit unprofessional looking, redesigned plugin GUIs (I know not essential but aesthetics can help with workflow, why do you think there's so many different Reaper themes). I always thought Reaper could do a bit of refining on Reatune to compete a bit more with the likes of Cubases VariAudio. A basic score editor would've been nice but I can see that this would probably take a lot of work to implement but maybe it would come some day. For all the improvements WALTER has brought with it, it all still feels FWOABW Flaky(although it is still in beta). The menus are a nightmare to scroll through, I know about Reamenus but this kind of thing should really be sorted by the devs, sometimes there are just too many options & you find yourself wading through them instead of just getting stuck into making some music, a dedicated media editor is also IMO a must have. Toolbars are handy but I would actually like to see a few tools in Reaper.

As you can see most of what I have listed falls under the "improve what's already there category". I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of Reaper users saying "we don't neeed this or I'm happy enough with that & midi works fine for me" But please realise I'm not some Logic or Cubase user coming onto the Reaper forum to put it down, laugh at it, stomp all over it & run away. If I didn't care about Reaper I wouldn't bother sitting writing this while my beers still sitting untouched in the fridge

I was actually considering trying to exclusively work with Live because as limited as it is, it very simple & easy to use, plus I think having limitations can sometimes be a good thing. But I thought I'd have another look around & heard a lot of buzz about Presonus Studio One Pro. Now there's one DAW that I think is getting it right, it really does feel like it was developed by musicians for musicians. I think S1 Pro has a nice balance between simplicity & the complexity needed in a modern day DAW. It could still do with one or to improvements like Folder Tracks & comping is still a bit basic but its still only at v1.6

Maybe I'm asking for a lot but if there's only one thing in my list I'd like the devs to pay attention to its............................PLEASE DROP EVERYTHING ELSE YOUR DOING & FINALLY GIVE REAPER THE MIDI/MIDI EDITOR IT DESERVES!!!
i read your whole post, and i have no idea of in which way you would like reaper improved. ya, midi, i get it. but midi in which way?

zooming can suck. for me, i have zoom to item bound to a mouse button. this way, when i edit an item, i just quickly zoom in, do my thing, and zoom back out again. i can't think of any other better way i could wish to have.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #86
ivansc

I have to confess that slowly and steadily I am adapting to the reaper way of doing MIDI and it is all getting better both from the point of MY learning the app better AND Cockos' efforts to improve things.

I would say that if things continue in the way they are doing by version 5.0 I should be a happy bunny.

But the whole takes/comping/midiandaudiocombined and undifferentiated thing is still a little hard for me to cope with.

On the other hand, despite trying just about very other DAW out there available for PC, I find nothing else I like any better.
And I just wiped both Studio One (purchased) and Sonar (purchased many versions up to 8.5.3) off my hard drive forever.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #87
grinder

I went back to my Pro tools native rig to do a song I had for my new CD last week. I had to as I had not shifted it across to my Reaper rig.
I lasted all of 15 minutes.
I shifted all the tracks including midi to Reaper and re mixed.
There are those amongst us who will know that was a bit of work. Doing The pro tools thing was like dragging a chain.
I mean no disrespect to pro tools however I just found out again it just had not kept up at version 8. Maybe 9 might be a better thing... I am not going to find out anyway

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #88
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
What precisely does a "full blown DAW" have that REAPER doesn't? Please be specific.
Precisely and specifically; A Notation Editor.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #89
jonespnice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Precisely and specifically; A Notation Editor.
I think all Daws have their good/bad, for me Reaper is the best daw for Audio (mixing), ableton is the best for making beats and remixing, pro tools is industry standard for project compatibility and nice automation features , Logic has the best bang for your buck and becoming industry standard (behind pro tools ), Cubase and Sonar both have a nice list of audio and midi features but they have lost ground to other Daws, Studio One seems very promising because of the nice list of features and the integration of their hardware products.
I know Reaper hasn't mad a hugh leap from version 3 to version 4 but for mixing (which is what people will use it for 50% of the time) it's still at the top in my opinion.

Also Reaper is very powerful in its customization abilities and open sourceness which allows power users like SWS and Klinke and several others to provide some ad-ons.
Mac 10.14.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Omnisphere 2.6, KeyScape, Trilian, Akai VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.

Last edited by jonespnice; 12-02-2011 at 09:21 AM.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #90
buckman

Was hoping for Area Selection and proper in line editing with v4

And still nothing after a while after v4 has been released

Hope for all the votes that it's coming soon
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #91
ivansc

What do you mean by proper inline editing?

maybe I am missing a trick here.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #92
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
What do you mean by proper inline editing?

maybe I am missing a trick here.
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=122
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #93
ivansc

OK already saw that & didn't recognise it as being proper inline editing.

So far I am glad to say I never needed to get that involved in audio editing, but I can see the use of it. Very fast and very flexible that way.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #94
mikeroephonics

In case anyone missed it, here's my broken record:

FR:
+ MIDI Filter Events Box: Allow multiple MIDI Items across Tracks to be selected, edited, simultaneously. All this within a single MIDI Editor.

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2573