Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Praise
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 7 64bit issues with Korg K25 and NanoKey2

So I have a laptop (Vista 32bit, reaper, battery, various freeware vsti's with Korg K25, Lexicon Omega soundcard) everything worked perfectly. I figured I'd like to have a dedicated desktop for music so I purchased a powerspec, 8Gig ram, i5core, 2tb pc with windows 7 64 bit. All software seems to function correctly, but NONE of my hardware works. Reaper isnt recognizing any midi signal from any controller I have. I've downloaded updated "64bit drivers" for the K25 and the Lexicon Omega but nothing seems to work. Everything shows up in reaper's device menus and I am able to enable the k25 as the input device and select Omega's asio driver but to no effect. At this point I'd be relieved if this is just a Korg k25 issue. I plan to replace it with an MPK25 regardless but if the K25 just isnt compatible I'll replace it sooner than later.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Also, if anybody is bored or wondering, this is the kind of music I make:

http://praise.bandcamp.com/album/sti...aise-beat-tape
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Praise

anybody? lol

I've searched the forum and it seems nobody else has this issue with windows 7. I purchased the pc from microcenter and it came pre-loaded with 64bit win7 so I'm hoping a fresh install will fix issues? I guess I'll update the 0s of people that are interested, lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
duffman

Dont know squat about the Lexicon or the K25 but I am guessing both are USB?

If so in Windows Control Panel > Device Manager, try changing your mothterboards USB driver to Legacy.(you can always change it back)
If that dont do it.....
Then I would pop open the case and see if you have a loose wire. Maybe your internal Ports to Motherboard cable is loose or bad....Wouldn't be the first time someone forgot to plug in a cable in a build!!!!

Duff
duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Mini

Are you plugging the K25 to the interface via midi or to the PC via usb? If so have you tried the alternative? Do the USB ports work with other peripherals, ie printer, dongle, mouse?
I have my keyboard plugged in via USB and every so often my PC "forgets" the keyboard and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. The same happens occasionally with my interface (sapphire6). I think Win7 64 has some issues with some audio hardware drivers conflicting with the win drivers.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Praise

Thanks Duff,

yeah, the lexicon omega is just an external usb soundcard. The K25 is a low end really basic usb midi keyboard. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot. Cant hurt to try changing the driver to Legacy.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Praise

Hey Mini,

I am plugging the k25 directly into the pc via usb. I havent tried the alternative as I do not have any midi to usb cables laying around yet. Their might be an issue of conflicting drivers. I think I may need to uninstall all drivers for the k25 and re-install "64bit compatable drivers". I'm thinking maybe I had the generic drivers installed and then tried to install the 64bit driver and thats what is causing the problem.

I have no clue. I'm grasping at straws here, lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Mini

I apologise if I am insulting your intelligence but when you installed the usb midi driver did you fully extract the file rather than simply just running it? I am not sure how the Korg file works but I've had some issues when installing drivers on win7 64 where it does not install correctly if you just "run" the installer as opposed to using "extract all" and unzip it that way.

EDIT: http://www.korg.co.uk/downloads/driver/dl_driver.asp is this the driver you used? Looks like the installation procedure is pretty specific for 7 64bit???

I forgot to say, I had a Korg padkontrol a while back and could not get that to work with Sonar x1 when I was using that as a DAW so sold it. I get the impression that Korg drivers are not particularly win7 64 compliant by default? I have a NanoKontrol in the cupboard which I haven't even plugged in yet!!!

Last edited by Mini; 04-23-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: addition
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Praise

Insulting my intelligence? You'll probably have a better chance of giving me too much credit. lol

Yes I did extract the driver folder first and then run it. When I check the device in device manager details section it notes that the Korg K25 is running driver ver. 1.13. So I believe that was done correctly, yet reaper is still not recognizing any midi signal.

I dont know if the culprit is the 64 bit system, funky drivers for Korg, or Windows 7, but I am contemplating returning the PC for a Mac of similar specs and trying all of this on the Mac platform...(hasty?)
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
danfuerth

Hi there, how calm down, second calm down, people get nuts over the simple things

Okay now back to the task at hand.

First things first.

Install these drivers
http://www.korg.com/uploads/Download...3078320000.zip
the open the zip archive and run the setup
It may ask you "this device driver is not signed" bs click install anyways. After hoop up the k25 to the USB port (usb 2.0)

next install this

Install ( install as personal use)
MidiOX direct link is
http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe
and it is FREEWARE.
it's like a benchdesk for midi as it has super nice live input tools)

So assuming nothing is working for now.

run Midiox, first thing it may ask you what ports you have, this is important as it will 100% tell weather the drivers installed are okay and if the midi ports installed correctly.

MidiOX is how I make my own midi cables as this way I can see live data as it is coming out of the synths, a good way to check what keys or buttons work on the keyboards.

steps

1.run midiox
2.goto options/midi devices ( this will show you the ports installed)
right here may be the issue ( look at input and output ports)
Forget what reaper tells you, start with MidiOX alone first.
pick your ports if you have them ( in and out, choose microsoft midi so you can hear notes)
3.Click VIEW/Input monitor. This is to see incoming data with all the juicy details you really need as Reaper is flaky with onboard tools for this only some weak js stuff for these tasks.
hit a fe keys on your k25

Info: back to your drivers.

I HAVE FOUND by looking around inside the drivers .inf files by accident that Casio is an OEM for keyboard synths (makes a lot of midi keyboards for other companies)

Like edirol, so an edirol driver ( forced in windows 7 64 bit) will work. It's how I have my bigger Casio synth working in windows 7.

I want to help you , but you got to have patience..

Last edited by danfuerth; 04-24-2012 at 09:47 AM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Praise

Danfuerth, thank you so much for your willingness to help! I've downloaded the midiox software but just before I executed it I noticed that I was able to input midi when I selected microsoft's generic driver and not asio. It was extremely latent and the sound quality wasnt great but it proved that the Korg K25's 64X drivers are functional and compatible with reaper 64X and Win7. But this leads me to my new issue...

****Update****

I think my issue is with the initialization of Lexicon Omega's drivers. On my laptop that runs vista I am able to find the Omega driver in reaper's device page listed simply as Omega Driver; But on this desktop with x64 win7 installed when I select asio driver and select Omega as the soundcard the only option in the device window says "Lexicon Mac USB". I'm pretty sure I didnt install mac drivers for the device, lol. Just to see what would happen, I selected Lexicon Mac USB and got no sound.

Weird.

Last edited by Praise; 04-25-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Praise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
bluzkat

I would suspect your Lexicon driver (or maybe something else) because I have used a Korg Kontrol49 for several years and I have been using it with Windows 7 64-bit for almost a year with no issues. So I pretty sure the Korg driver is alright.

Double check all your 'input' settings, check 'monitoring', etc.

Sorry I don't have much else to offer, if I have any other ideas... I'll post back.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
danfuerth

Okay so midi works on the midi usb controller okay .

So in reaper you do not need a soundcard to test your midi in since you are using a USB midi keyboard and not going through the sound card

Just make sure in preferences midi that the midi in out are right clicked and checked for "USE INPUT" and on the output "use output"

If you are now able to record midi ( but no sound obviously)

So now it's time to check your audio card.

Close reaper , then uninstall the omega audio. And then install these drivers

http://www.lexiconpro.com/product_do...rInstaller.exe

Probably a driver did not install properly as it should say "omega ASIO" on the preferences/audio Asio driver section "Omega xxx ASIO"

Now can you load an mp3 file and see if you have sound coming out?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Praise

Bluzkat, thanks for the help. Yeah I agree, I dont think its the controller drivers that are the issue, thank goodness.

Danfuerth,
Thanks again. I've uninstalled the drivers, then installed the updated omega X64 drivers and loaded an mp3 into reaper. When I press play, the transport indicates that it is playing but nothing is playing and the timeline lights up but never leaves the beginning of the track. Very strange. I'm curious to know if anybody is using a lexicon omega in a win 7 64 bit environment with Reaper. Worse case scenario is I'll have to grab a different soundcard. One that is moderately priced and well documented as being compatible with win7 64X/Reaper 64X

Also, While I have chosen ASIO in the audio device settings of reaper and selected the audio driver "Omega ASIO", the midi hardware settings still say Lexicon Mac USB. sucks because I fear we may have covered everything, lol.

**********************UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok everybody,
This is going to sound weird... I unplugged my usb from the soundcard to one of the four usb ports on the back of my pc, and just for the heck of it plugged it into one of the front ports. voila. Everything works, no noticible latency, crystal clear sound. Everything works perfectly. I will gladly accept any verbal abuse you would like to throw at me for newbing up the forums. Hopefully this helps somebody else who may run into a familiar situation. When in doubt, unplug some crap and plug it in somewhere different.

Last edited by Praise; 04-26-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Update
Praise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
danfuerth

Excellent.
Like Doc said "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything"