Old 12-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
SEA
Human being with feelings

Default Acronis True Image... Who's Using It?

I had bought a copy about a year ago and always planed on making a copy of my C drive once I had loaded everything on my new DAW running Windows Ultimate 64 bit.

My question is, CAN you make a copy of you C drive on another drive... disconnect you C drive... plug in the copy... then boot and run just like it was the ORIGINAL C Drive?

Any tips would be awesome for sure!

SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
pentd

dont know bout acronis, but i've managed to do that with clonezilla. had to switch hard disks cos it was wearing thin, bad sectors, boot problems etc... got a new bigger one, reloaded the image from a backup, and with gparted managed to resize it too (old disk was 40 GB, new is 80GB, the clonezilla image created a 40GB partition on the new disk and left the other 40 "unallocated")

ymmv but i think these imaging tools are pretty easy to use and effective nowadays... was a nightmare 10 yrs ago... well i was even dumber then on computers...
pentd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentd View Post
dont know bout acronis, but i've managed to do that with clonezilla. had to switch hard disks cos it was wearing thin, bad sectors, boot problems etc... got a new bigger one, reloaded the image from a backup, and with gparted managed to resize it too (old disk was 40 GB, new is 80GB, the clonezilla image created a 40GB partition on the new disk and left the other 40 "unallocated")

ymmv but i think these imaging tools are pretty easy to use and effective nowadays... was a nightmare 10 yrs ago... well i was even dumber then on computers...
So everything worked booting off the new cloned disk (VSTi's, Reaper, etc. etc. etc.)

Basically I want to create one before stuff starts to go south ya know? THEN if things start to go, pop the backup in without missing a day or recording!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
airon

The question is always what media the partition backup program can read from and write to.

External USB NTFS drives for example. Firewire drives of various filesystems, and so on.

Acronis 2011(which I use) works for NTFS USB and Firewire drives for me. The Bootable CD is all I need. I never use their desktop software.

If Clonezill can perform those same duties and reliably read and write external drives, it's a viable solution.

Acronis Trueimage can extract files or directories from an image, and can do incremental backups as well.

Btw, make two backups.

Last edited by airon; 12-13-2011 at 07:26 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
optical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I had bought a copy about a year ago and always planed on making a copy of my C drive once I had loaded everything on my new DAW running Windows Ultimate 64 bit.

My question is, CAN you make a copy of you C drive on another drive... disconnect you C drive... plug in the copy... then boot and run just like it was the ORIGINAL C Drive?

Any tips would be awesome for sure!

SEA
The drive letter seems to be essential on system partition backups; whatever the partition letter the image is made from, C, D etc..., TIH will only write the image back to a partition with that letter.

You can clone a drive then swap, or

boot from the Acronis CD (or a boot CD you make using TIH) then write the image to a partition with the correct letter. The image has to be read from somewhere though, so you might put it on another partition of the new drive for example...

Last edited by optical; 12-13-2011 at 08:46 AM.
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
ivansc

was using Acronis till recently but switched to the Easeus equivalent. NOT SURE WHY, as both worked fine.

I suspect all of the disk cloners work about the same and have also used Easeus's excellent partition manager, which is also free.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
bharris

I have used Acronis for several years and have re-installed my entire computer's hard drive from the backup I originally made with the program. I think with some of the premium versions you can even install the image on a completely different hard drive (which would be helpful in the event your hard drive simply dies, as opposed to getting a virus).
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Goseba

I happily used Acronis for a couple of years then suddenly had issues with it not working, evening after reinstalling. Never found out why.

I have been quite happy since with Easeus' free products.
Goseba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
I have used Acronis for several years and have re-installed my entire computer's hard drive from the backup I originally made with the program. I think with some of the premium versions you can even install the image on a completely different hard drive (which would be helpful in the event your hard drive simply dies, as opposed to getting a virus).
So when I make a copy of my C drive, and then pop the NEW c drive in... what's the difference? Shouldn't everything be exactly the same (a mirror drive right?)

Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
saldiamond

i have had several laptops where i have copied the c drive to a larger, faster drive using acronis

swapped the drives and not had any issues.

also have used a disc image to restore otherwise hosed installations

pretty good luck so far
saldiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
Smurf

SEA, with Acronis v 10.xx you will need to make a backup/image of the drive you want to keep & the boot disk.

Then remove your old drive, place the new drive in the system, and then boot with the Acronis disk. Locate you file and tell it to Restore onto the new drive. v9 & 10 always asked if you want to format and/or use all the space, and it will do it if told so.

I am not sure if Acronis can be used to clone a drives OS, like the shope/IT do...creating a HDD that is bootable as soon as you place it into the machine, I have never tried that.....
Old 12-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
optical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
SEA, with Acronis v 10.xx you will need to make a backup/image of the drive you want to keep & the boot disk.

Then remove your old drive, place the new drive in the system, and then boot with the Acronis disk. Locate you file and tell it to Restore onto the new drive. v9 & 10 always asked if you want to format and/or use all the space, and it will do it if told so.

I am not sure if Acronis can be used to clone a drives OS, like the shope/IT do...creating a HDD that is bootable as soon as you place it into the machine, I have never tried that.....
Just to clarify, you only need an image of a PARTITION... no need to back up an entire drive if the drive is partitioned...
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
Xasman

Default Warning

Just thought I'd point out that Acronis True Image 2012 now uses invasive (challenge/response) "copy protection". This wasn't the case in previous versions of the software.

Acronis don't draw attention to this on their website and so consequently I didn't notice until I had already bought the upgrade. I've asked for a refund on principle.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
steveo42

Been using Acronis for a long time now. Currently Home 2010 version. I had a sick drive and used the "clone" option to clone the disk to a different one. Worked like a champ.

All my copy protected stuff worked fine and didn't complain about hardware change etc, which did surprise me a little as I always thought they used the drive serial number in the algorithm for that stuff.

The only real disadvantage I see to Acronis is you MUST have the 2 services running in order to use it. They don't take up resources much and you can disable them and only turn them on when you do a backup/restore.

Good luck!
steveo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
windowman

I'm having some problems with Acronis. I have 3 internal drives, 1 TB each & one 3 TB ext drive for backup.

I have the program set to non-stop backup, but it keeps filling up the 3 TB drive. I thought it would backup the 3 drives once & then just do incremental backups, meaning only backing up new files/programs after the initial backup. And between the 3 internal drives, there's only about 500-600 GB of data/programs in total. Every time it backs up, it looks like the whole system is being backed up again.

Is there something in the settings that I've screwed up? I only want it to backup EVERYTHING once & then just add files/programs/changes as I go along. This is driving me nuts.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
bluzkat

You can set when Acronis backs up in the 'scheduler'. You can set it to back up (or not back up). Check it out.

I'm not much help... I do mine manually.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
SEA

Thanks for the replies guys!

Also, can I make a backup on an external usb hard drive and then (if I had to) boot off that external drive?

SEA

Old 01-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
windowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
You can set when Acronis backs up in the 'scheduler'. You can set it to back up (or not back up). Check it out.

I'm not much help... I do mine manually.

Yes, I have it on a schedule once a week and it is still backing up the whole system every time. What I would like is a once a week backup, when I know I'm away from the PC, where it only backs up anything new. I just need to know what those settings are. At this point, I'm considering scrapping all of the previous backups, uninstalling Acronis & starting over again. But with my luck, everything would crash while I'm doing it.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
norbury brook

I use clonezilla and have a hot swap SATA caddy in a slot below my dvd drive. I just push a backup drive in and clone the whole system drive every month or so.

Every now and then I'll boot from the cloned drive just to check but so far it's been 100%

MC
Old 01-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
ivansc

And like I said, the FREE EASEUS one works great and it is F R E E

Sincerely, Ivan the ex-acronis user
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I use clonezilla and have a hot swap SATA caddy in a slot below my dvd drive. I just push a backup drive in and clone the whole system drive every month or so.

Every now and then I'll boot from the cloned drive just to check but so far it's been 100%

MC
I'm getting ready for a new PC build and it is definitely going to have a drive caddy (or two)!

I think there's a 'hi-tech' blues tune in there...

"Aw baby, I said drive caddy, not drive a caddy!"

Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
windowman

Well...does anyone know how to set up ACRONIS so that it backs up everything once & then only changes after that, on a weekly schedule?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
Johnnny-5

I have been using this for about 5 years or more now and it has been 100%
you can stick the image anyware and restore hard drive to hard drive etc.
I think it's still 50 bucks but well worth it... check it out.. :-)

This can also do just changes only and add to the original image you can also make a R-Drive Image
startup disk and pretty much covers all the bases..

http://www.drive-image.com/
Johnnny-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
I'm getting ready for a new PC build and it is definitely going to have a drive caddy (or two)!

I think there's a 'hi-tech' blues tune in there...

"Aw baby, I said drive caddy, not drive a caddy!"

this is the one I use:

http://store.antec.com/Product/acces...5-30750-5.aspx

works great for backing up drives now and again.

MC
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
this is the one I use:

http://store.antec.com/Product/acces...5-30750-5.aspx

works great for backing up drives now and again.
MC
Cool, thanks!