Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
danfuerth
Human being with feelings

Default Attention all EDIROL FA101 users - Important Drivers MOD

Hello Everyone excited to let you all know if you use the Edirol FA101 10/10 Firewire interface you need to read this info

The Edirol FA101 has been in use for me since I got it in 2005 and it has been a flawless unit with no issues whatsoever except the drivers after XP had some issues for Windows Vista and any Windows OS after that one was well

In Windows XP the Edirol FA101 drivers were synched. All the means is simply if you went down on the latency the output latency buffers would match the input buffers and this was clearly seen in any Daw ran at that time ( Cubase or Sonar) in the audio setup config screens.

However for Windows Vista and after the Vista FA101 drivers do not synch up properly so I skipped vista and stayed with XP, then during the Windows 8 beta stages I moved to Windows 7 for my Daw work. Still the same issue with the FA101 even using the Edirol Win7 drivers.

So 3 things XP worked fine, very low latencies no issues with any Daw's.

The latencies are much higher in windows 7 and windows 8 even after doing the registry mods for lower latencies for the edirol Fa101 as the control panel for the FA101 has just a slider no numbers.

So basically I made a post and from the results I think everyone who had XP working with a firewire device ( not just the FA101) is getting ripped off with the drivers they were provided by the Interface company.

So the mod is very simple for the FA101 for Winows 7 and Windows 8
HOWEVER BE ALERT your midi Device IN/OUT IRONICALLY will be changed to Bridge CO LOL which is the OEM!!!! hahahaha

ALERT this is for the 32 bit Edition of Windows 7 and Windows 8( x64 coming later, need to do a few more tests)

1. Install the drivers normally for Windows 7 32 bit by using edirol Fa101 setup, power up the unit when the driver setup tells you and then that's it all done.

2.POWER DOWN THE EDIROL UNIT. Then grab the Windows XP FA101 drivers( from edirol's website) and copy these 2 files to your desktop
rrwd0001.sys
rrau0001.sys

Rename them to lower case!! Important!!1

3. Goto C:\Windows\system32\drivers \ ( here)

In there you will see the Windows 7 Edirol Drivers with the same name as above surprise they never changed the name since XP LOL
rrwd0001.sys
rrau0001.sys

cut those out of there and copy them to a folder on your desktop, name the folder Edirol backup whatever...

4. The XP files that you put on your desktop :
rrwd0001.sys
rrau0001.sys

copy those 2 files to C:\Windows\system32\drivers \ ( here)

Power on the FA101 - SYNCHED!!!
REMINDER - After you do this the OEM who makes the MIDI ports will be exposed, as you can see it in Reaper the MID IN and OUT is not "FA101 MIDI IN" anymore, it is actually Bridge Co MID IN / OUT. Do not worry about this it is just the OEM being exposed LOL.

I will post the registry hack in a seperate post to get the lower latencies
For now you should now have your in and out latency synched . I can see this will lead to a lot of questions and some people will start to wonder if they are getting ripped off with their drivers as well...

Last edited by danfuerth; 02-17-2013 at 07:47 AM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
danfuerth

Okay as promissed

You can fine tune the latencies for the FA101 through the registry, in fact it is the only way to do it anyways so GET USED TO IT!!! as the Fa101 control panel applet only has the sliders, it does not show you numbers.

Shut down your FA101

start run : regedit

press enter

Browse to : [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\rrwd0001\ConfigDB\Settings]

In that settings folder you will see the holy grail of Audio interface settings. NOTE Not many interfaces expose these settings, one some interfaces these settings are within .sys files.

here is a screenshot showing everything you need to know

The screenshot you see is for the 2.5ms in/2.5ms out, obviously the numbers would be lower on the screenshot if I choose the lower latencies settings.

You must try these settings and pick one ( try to achieve the lowest latencies) by changing the values in #1, #2 and #3 mumbers down and power up the unit, run Reaper check the latency and run some VST'is for testing ( best test's are VSTi's anyways)

That's it.

Last edited by danfuerth; 03-13-2013 at 11:07 AM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
andyprosser

Default Registry settings

Hi I'm very interested in what your saying here.
Likewise, good low latency in XP but not in Windows 7 :-(

I'm using FA-101 and SONAR 4 XL.

I can't get ASIO drivers to work at all but WDM drivers work okay.

Your second post about the registry changes doesn't include the screen shots you mention.

Any chance you could post them or email them to me or put them in text form?

Andy
andyprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Breeder

Don't bother, you will not change latency by this.

Danfuerth even posted loopback test results:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...70#post1138370

Yes, he tried to conclude that latency is lower than it really is by stating some clearly wrong facts and math.

But measurements show that one thing is reported to reaper (he says 3 ms - 1.5 in and 1.5 out) by his modded drivers and the other is measured (6.7 ms at 48 ms, presumably at 44.1 khz)

Last edited by Breeder; 06-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
michaelmellner

Hi danfuerth...........
I know it has passed more than a year from this post but I found it only now.

I'm kind of a stranger here since I use cakewalk sonar (checked out reaper and might beswitching to it pretty soon).

anyways......reason I replied here is the edirol fa101 modding.

in sonar I get something like 9 ms of latency having win xp 64 bit and setting edirol and sonar at 44.1 khz (4 gb ram and dual core E7400 at 2.8 GHz)

I have searched the forum but couldn't find a clue on if I can achieve a netter latency by modifing the drivers.

can you help me out here?

tried to send you a pm but maybe you don't allow them to be sent

all the best and hope to read from you soon

Michael, Italy
michaelmellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
bluzkat

Michael,

We haven't seen Dan around here lately. Looks as though his last post was April of last year (2013).

If someone is using that mod, maybe they will chime in with some information.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #7
michaelmellner

thanks bluzcat for your reply. hopefully dan will have a notification about my thread and maybe jump in.

and yes, if someone else got a hang on dan advices I really need to have that help.

all the best

michael
Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
excel_98

Hey there... Sorry to necro, and it's a little off-topic, but I do have an Edirol FA-101. I figured I should post my solution to a problem I was having, and hopefully it helps some of you and whoever else Googles for the symptoms of sample rate problem or digital distortion.

I had to change a capacitor on the main board of the FA-101 to fix what sounded like distorted, digital, corrupted, or bit-crushed playback from a computer (but not through direct monitoring). Changing the physical sample rate on the device did not help, changing the sample rate through software didn't help, I think toggling phantom power helped for awhile, toggling digital in switch didn't help, changing outputs didn't help if I remember correctly, changing from bus powered to adapter powered didn't help, and the problem was intermittent for awhile.

To check to see if you have a bad capacitor:

1. Open up the FA-101 (which requires removing six screws),

2. Look on the right side of the board, above where the headphone volume knob is.

3. You'll see sets of capacitors. If you don't know what a capacitor looks like, check out the Wikipedia page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

4. Check to see if any of the capacitors are bulging, cracked, or puffier than the others.

/////4.1. If so, you will have to replace the capacitor by soldering a new one onto the board. You can find them on eBay for cheap, or in some electronic shops. I had to replace a 10V 1000uF capacitor and it seems to be working well! Just make sure you have the leads facing the same way as the previous capacitor (which is usually indicated by a stripe along the side with minus signs/rectangles)

/////4.2. If not, you can also try removing the entire board to see if the underside or other components looks burned. If that's the case, glhf because I don't know what to do after that :/

Fixing electronics can be dangerous, so don't try this if you're not comfortable doing so (plus your mileage may vary). However, it's not as difficult as it might seem, takes ten minutes to do, costs $6 for a pack of five capacitors, maybe $20 for a half-decent soldering iron if you don't have one, $5 for solder if you really need it (i just reused the stuff on the board) and you save having to buy a new 10-in,10-out interface.

For the record, these things are built like tanks, and I'm surprised the caps didn't blow earlier after being on for months at a time. Plus Firewire is still really fast in terms of latency.
excel_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
michaelmellner

hi Excel and thanks for your words. my problem really is about latency, which at the end isn't such an issue to prevent me from doing my music job.

I think I don't have the electronic issue you had since my sounds, from the most distorted guitars to the cleanest acustic instrument sound like charm. as a matter of fact I'm Mastering my album right now and really the sound can be compared to pro records with no shame.

thanks anyways and will keep you words for future reference

michael
Old 09-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
excel_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmellner View Post
my problem really is about latency...
You might want to try using ASIO4All, which can be found here: http://www.asio4all.com/

It's an alternative ASIO driver which seems to be compatible with a variety of devices, allowing for plug-and-play in Windows. Personally, I use it as an alternative to the FA-101 driver as it has a lot more options, and allows you to change buffer sizes/latencies on the fly without having to restart the device. I'm getting 5ms (2.5in, 2.5out) at 48kHz stable.

It is a bit finicky, and isn't quite as heavy-duty as the regedits outlined in this post. However, it offers a GUI for some of the settings available. Good luck with latencies.
excel_98 is offline   Reply With Quote