Old 06-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
ibreaktheglass
Human being with feelings

Default Everything Will Be Fine

Hey everyone... Been using REAPER for about 2 months or so now, and I think I might be getting the hang of it. Hopefully I'm getting better at this stuff.

This is a track I produced for a a (very talented) pal of mine. We recorded 5 songs in under 4 hours, and the next day I put another 2-3 in on the mix.

Any constructive criticism is highly appreciated. I'm still a newbie when it comes to mixing, so I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Have a listen:
http://soundcloud.com/sleazy-deezie/...g-will-be-fine

Thanks!
ibreaktheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
ibreaktheglass

I take it by the lack of response that there aren't any glaring problems with this. lol Fine by me. Finished another one of the tracks last night, if anyone is interested:

http://soundcloud.com/sleazy-deezie/softer-side
Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
dkeatscary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreaktheglass View Post
Hey everyone... Been using REAPER for about 2 months or so now, and I think I might be getting the hang of it. Hopefully I'm getting better at this stuff.

This is a track I produced for a a (very talented) pal of mine. We recorded 5 songs in under 4 hours, and the next day I put another 2-3 in on the mix.

Any constructive criticism is highly appreciated. I'm still a newbie when it comes to mixing, so I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Have a listen:
http://soundcloud.com/sleazy-deezie/...g-will-be-fine

Thanks!
Mix-wise, I think this sounds fine. The acoustic riffing during the verses and chorus is a bit distracting, but the song sounds good. Nice job!
dkeatscary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
ibreaktheglass

Awesome! I think I need to stop second guessing myself. :P Always worrying about whether or not I did something "technically" correct... I guess ya just have to listen. Coming back to this now after a few days really helps with that. I know it's not perfect, but it's definitely music. lol

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
bloodbubble

sounds great, i agrre with the above comment about the soloing over vocal but just a matter of opinion..
i like fact that i think i can hear the room in the mix, alot of people including me always trying to cover up the rooms natural acoustics..
very natural sounding.
what mic(s) did you use?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
ScalerWave

The song is very good. Great vox !

Are you looking for mix ideas?
ScalerWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
ibreaktheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodbubble View Post
sounds great, i agrre with the above comment about the soloing over vocal but just a matter of opinion..
i like fact that i think i can hear the room in the mix, alot of people including me always trying to cover up the rooms natural acoustics..
very natural sounding.
what mic(s) did you use?
Thanks! This was actually recorded in the living room of my apartment. Not the most ideal place for a studio, but it works for me. It doesn't sound too bad in here with pretty minimal treatment.

For the rhythm guitar I used a Studio Projects B1 on the neck and an MXL 991 on the body. Then we did lead guitar and all of the vocals with just the B1. I love that thing... Definitely a huge improvement over my old MXLs.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
Wilkesin

Ya, nice sounding stuff I would say.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
kindafishy

Great stuff. Very Jack Johnson sounding. The only nit I can find is that there isn't a whole lot of body on the guitar. There is a lot of room in the bottom of the song to fill the arrangement out somehow. Of course, as is, it sounds great. Good tune, good mix. Nice job.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #10
ibreaktheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Great stuff. Very Jack Johnson sounding. The only nit I can find is that there isn't a whole lot of body on the guitar. There is a lot of room in the bottom of the song to fill the arrangement out somehow. Of course, as is, it sounds great. Good tune, good mix. Nice job.
Yeah... after going back and re-listening to all of these tracks we did, I'd like to get in there and throw down some bass guitar to fill them out a little bit more. His stuff definitely reminds me of Jack Johnson. Hopefully we'll work on some more soon. Thanks for listening!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Artbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeatscary View Post
The acoustic riffing during the verses and chorus is a bit distracting, but the song sounds good. Nice job!
yes, good song, and to me it's like the vocals and riffs are fighting to be front-n-center...