Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
Grünfeld
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with playback volume after adding Volume Envelope

Here's what I've been trying to do:

I'm sending vocals to a channel with a couple of delay FX -- one echo is for the first part of the song; the other is for the second part of the song. So one echo is in bypass while the other is working.

However, that's not the problem.

The problem is that when I set the volume of the Delay channel to approximately where I want it, it's roughly about -6dB. But when I add a Volume envelope, so that I can adjust the Volume fader in order to bring the FX in and out of the song, I have to have the fader at about +9dB in order to hear about the same amount of Delay FX. That is one hell of a boost from -6 to +9!

Does anyone know what might be the issue? What could cause such a difference in the fader settings in order to hear the same amount of output from the channel? Why should the FX be sounding so much quieter (and needing the big volume boost) once I add the volume envelope?

Here are a couple of screen shots. The first is before the volume envelope is added to the Delay Channel 5 on the right of the picture and you can see how high the volume fader and the meter is reading.

The second shows the volume envelope added and you can see how much higher the volume fader has to be in order to hear about the same amount of sound playing back in the song.

Thanks,

Oli
Grünfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Grünfeld

Bump

Er, anyone?

I have absolutely no idea what's causing this issue. Has it not happened to anyone else?
Grünfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
musicbynumbers

It's really late and hot here and I'm finding it hard to concentrate so I apologise if I got this wrong but it sounds like it could be something to do with where the "tap" for the send is coming from (pre fader post fx etc..) OR...

could be something to with your current pan laws? remember that even sends can have there pan laws changed and this can still affect your send level on certain pan laws even if the track and sends are panned to the middle.

sorry if that's not the answer.. it's just to flipping hot!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
roguetitan

Move cursor arrow to the track wave form and right click and select Item processing and click on normalize common gain.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
roguetitan

Also... judging by your track faders settings in the screen shots you will experience better volume levels if you record need to be EQed with the slider set at 0 db line then set the gain level from your external mixer on the meter to where it is reading about -9 to -12 db
this will give you enough overhead that you dont have to worry about clipping tracks.