Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #41
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: add actions to set grid type (straight, dotted, triplet, swing)
awesome, guys!! could we please have CC action control over swing, as well? that would get us even closer to hardware-style sequencers.

great work.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #42
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
16384 values is still much less than what you can have with a 32-bit floating point value scaled from 0.0 to 1.0, though.
True, though whether it is meaningfully less so is less clear.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #43
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It's the existing render option "embed project tempo". Previously this option would have no effect if there were any tempo changes in the project, even if the rendered portion of the project was at a constant tempo. Now, if the option is enabled, tempo information will be embedded in the rendered item, as long as the project tempo remains constant throughout that particular section of the project.
Thanks
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #44
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Riley View Post
It would be great to have an option to view/edit CCs as envelopes instead of bars.
This ^^^

+1000
Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #45
ovnis

Quote:
It would be great to have an option to view/edit CCs as envelopes instead of bars.
Of course ! +100
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #46
Mercado_Negro

I think there are many things missing in current envelope/automation behavior to even think in automation items and whatnot.

[EDIT] In fact, before those missing things there should be area selection because many aspects of automation would depend on it.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #47
Lawrence

I agree with Mercado Negro.

Seems like some "subjectively more basic" things should maybe be addressed before leaping directly onto the flashier shiny stuff like automation clips. Like maybe just moving automation lanes around.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #48
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I think there are many things missing in current envelope/automation behavior to even think in automation items and whatnot.

[EDIT] In fact, before those missing things there should be area selection because many aspects of automation would depend on it.
I agree, the point of the functionality added was just to enable general utility (and it only took a day to implement)
Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #49
mehmethan

Hi Developers,
while your on reaproxy, I'm asking for a feature for reaproxy projects if it's possible. (I hope this is the right place to do it)

- When you make some changes on reaproxy project, New render should be added to the master project as a new take not as a new item and a new version of reaproxy project should be saved.
So each take of the rendered item will match with a different version of reaproxy project

This way we can go back and forth between renders and version projects to compare.

Thanks
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #50
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I agree with Mercado Negro.

Seems like some "subjectively more basic" things should maybe be addressed before leaping directly onto the flashier shiny stuff like automation clips. Like maybe just moving automation lanes around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I agree, the point of the functionality added was just to enable general utility (and it only took a day to implement)
That's exactly how I see it. This feature took you a day to implement while jumping into all the automation stuff must be much more complex with lots of internal Q&A's and whatnot.

I'm sure it will be a great set of pres when that happens. Until then, patience
Old 11-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #51
Dimson

Quote:
+1000
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #52
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That's exactly how I see it.
Whoa. Am I being irrationally optimistic or did Justin just "agree" with the need for area selection?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #53
drew
Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
+ Recording: enable auto-new file switching for background recording projects
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Can someone please elaborate what this means?
I guess it's about the "start new files every... [x] MB" functionality in Prefs>Recording settings.

(That switches to new files and is auto, so it sounds right.)

By the way, I understand that function creates noticeable glitches in playback with the default fade settings. Presumably it shouldn't be doing any xfades at all when the recording itself is meant to be joining seamlessly!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #54
casrya

MIDI link is a nice one thanks! Will get rid of some MIDItoReaControlPath and piz midiconverter3 usage
casrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #55
casrya

Quote:
True, though whether it is meaningfully less so is less clear.
Hi Justin, Just wondering if MIDI link is sample accurate on VST3/JSFX that supports it or is it still sent at block level?
Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #56
timbralzoom

Quote:
definitely +1
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #57
ceanganb

And +1
Old 11-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #58
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casrya View Post
Hi Justin, Just wondering if MIDI link is sample accurate on VST3/JSFX that supports it or is it still sent at block level?
It is still sent at the block level, hopefully those VST3s can take MIDI events natively? We'll look at adding support for sample accurate via MIDI eventually, but I can't say when that will happen (as it is quite a bit more complex!).
Old 11-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #59
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
By the way, I understand that function creates noticeable glitches in playback with the default fade settings. Presumably it shouldn't be doing any xfades at all when the recording itself is meant to be joining seamlessly!
Oops, that is true, I'll look at having that fixed (the underlying audio is gapless, but the resulting project not, ugh)!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #60
BlackBart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
Hi Developers,
while your on reaproxy, I'm asking for a feature for reaproxy projects if it's possible. (I hope this is the right place to do it)

- When you make some changes on reaproxy project, New render should be added to the master project as a new take not as a new item and a new version of reaproxy project should be saved.
So each take of the rendered item will match with a different version of reaproxy project

This way we can go back and forth between renders and version projects to compare.

Thanks
+1...I've been requesting a similar thing...a way to update the parent project with the new (Save As) versions. I like your "new take for the new version" concept.
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #61
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Me too, would be great for those who sequence drums in audio on the arrange page
That's my main reason for needing it too. After watching a dozen or so "Producer Masterclass" tutorial videos, it's pretty obvious this is a VERY common way of working and I think this is long overdue in Reaper, especially as the functionality has already been coded for the MIDI editor and just needs to be integrated in the main timeline...
Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #62
ankely

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Any chance of finally getting the main grid to be as functional as the MIDI editor? Been hoping for swing for ages...

Thanks.
This would be very handy…
Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #63
casrya

Quote:
It is still sent at the block level, hopefully those VST3s can take MIDI events natively? We'll look at adding support for sample accurate via MIDI eventually, but I can't say when that will happen (as it is quite a bit more complex!).
Excellent thanks! On a related note while coding some sample accurate JSFX recently I noted that while the automation lanes trigger slider_next_chg() calls, parameter linking (even coming from sliderupdate()/slider_automate() in @sample) do not.

So if/when you tackle the MIDI linking it would be great if you could take a look at this too!

That said, I do accept that really it is up to the target VST to do proper parameter smoothing but I am sure I am not the only accuracy obsessed reaper user out there

Cheers,

casrya
Old 11-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #64
musicbynumbers

Justin mentioned that you can use the item right click option "open copy in external editor" whilst in the master project to duplicate the underlying Pip as a new take. Even if you have this set to open an external real editor (like wavelab or RX) it actually just creates a copy of the reaproxy and appends the name with "001", "002" etc. That works quite well.

Most of us certainly wouldn't want every save adding both another 32bit wav file and a project file. Especially if you have used things like Kontakt Orchestra patches which can bloat a project file upto 50 to 100mb easily

It also stops it from working as expected from things like mastering projects whereby you want to be working on the originals anyway. As an option it's fine but not as default behaviour.

Or even better. As a tick box option in the save as dialogue it would be great but since proxies are just normally projects. I'm not sure if reaper would be able to add that option. Hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
Hi Developers,

Thanks

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 11-24-2015 at 07:20 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #65
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
It's time to get rid of my "divide/multiply grid size" custom actions workarounds!
This is a huge step forward in midi editing. It always made me feel strange, to not have this in musical terms.

I combined this with quantize to grid, now this feels like any other (normal) midi editor to me.

THIS IS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY DAY !!!

Thanks devs.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #66
EvilDragon

One thing that is missing though is for the MIDI editor grid actions to report their state properly... so that toggle buttons can show the currently selected state!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #67
semiquaver

hmmm...

an action to "create new proxy version" which saved deltas - like real version control - would be incredible...

in any case, accessing multiple versions of a proxy could be used for multiple takes of automation, or more generally for playlist-like functionality. - the visual of multiple takes might not be wanted though....

Last edited by semiquaver; 11-24-2015 at 09:16 AM.
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #68
semiquaver

having to manually move the END marker after opening and working with a Proxy is an annoyance.

maybe render should default to end of project unless an END marker is placed ?
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #69
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
having to manually move the END marker after opening and working with a Proxy is an annoyance.

maybe render should default to end of project unless an END marker is placed ?
It does normally. If there's no start or end markers then it normally does. Maybe that's a bug then as the normal behaviour is to go with what reaper normally sees as the project end.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #70
J Reverb

+ Parameter modulation: allow controlling/modulating FX parameters with track MIDI events/monitoring

Thanks !
This would be perfect with a momentary min max fixed note velocity setting.

J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #71
EvilDragon

Question for devs: how much work would it be to enable parameter linking via parameter modulation across tracks, not just on the current track?

This would make it much easier to link the controls of same plugins across different tracks...
Old 11-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #72
DarkStar

^^^^
+1
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134423
Old 11-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #73
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Question for devs: how much work would it be to enable parameter linking via parameter modulation across tracks, not just on the current track?

This would make it much easier to link the controls of same plugins across different tracks...
Although it would be great if there was a dropdown menu system to do this, I did try it across tracks the other day and it did work via the sends system. I even put it on bus 2 as to not get in the way of any normal midi stuff.

I had one midi control (via reacontrolmidi) controlling multiple link parameters on multiple tracks. Even placed the reacontrolmidi on an item and drew in the automation on the item and it worked so there is some cool things you can do already.

Would be great to have it "menued" though and behind the scenes.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #74
EvilDragon

Yes, my question is simply to have it natively without needing to work around with by having yet another plugin loaded to the track... Sort of like a very logical extension to the already great parameter modulation system.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #75
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

It would be very difficult because tracks can be processed asynchronously and in parallel from one-another.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #76
EvilDragon

Shame... It would've been a killer feature.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #77
timothys_monster

Quote:
Shame... It would've been a killer feature.
Is that of any help for you?

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=31

By the way, love the responsiveness of the devs during the last few pres.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #78
EvilDragon

Quote:
Yep, that IS nice.

I'll check the script out later. The benefit of parameter modulation would be scaling and offseting the linked controls, though...
Old 11-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #79
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Is that of any help for you?

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=31

Whoa! That's amazing, thanks for sharing that. I just tried it and I couldn't believe my eyes. Linking plug-ins parameters across tracks is something I've needed so many times.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #80
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: add actions to set grid type (straight, dotted, triplet, swing)
I'm waiting for this since 1974