Old 01-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
TauTau
Human being with feelings

Default raw Midi data contains too much

Hi,

I'm trying to control a Peavey Vypyr from Reaper. I have a dedicated Midi track, so far I only want to set tap tempo, which is set by Note on (90 0B 7F). So I set 4 Notes in the Grid, and it works nice so far... however, I also get a preset change every now and then, this obviously may not happen live When I view the raw data, I have this:

+0 0: 90 0B 7F
+120 120: 80 0B 00
+840 960: 90 0B 7F
+120 1080: 80 0B 00
+840 1920: 90 0B 7F
+120 2040: 80 0B 00
+840 2880: 90 0B 7F
+120 3000: 80 0B 00
+840 3840: B0 7B 00

the first part looks correct, 4 Note On's with their respective Note Offs. However, I suspect that the last line, B0 7B 00 causes the preset change... what is it, and how do I get rid of it?
TauTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Fabian

You have the MIDI codes here (among other places):
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

Apparently B0 7B 00 is a channel mode message "All Notes Off". Seems as your device interprets this also as a reset of the program. There is a setting in Preferences > MIDI Devices, at the bottom there "All-notes-off". Try to uncheck that, maybe it will solve the problem.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
TauTau

I already unchecked that one... doesn't make any difference (and the device is some Midi hell, I already have to use a Y-cable to connect to it, because a merger as well as DAW soft through would cut something off of CC streams, so that the Volume pedal didn't work correctly anymore)

Seems I'm not alone with this... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...86#post1624286

Last edited by TauTau; 01-18-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
JackOnan

Yeah, those check boxes don't really seem to prevent the reset messages from being sent - this has been a matter of contention. You'll probably need to use some type of MIDI filter. A plugin on the track probably won't work(you'll have to try it first). If that doesn't work, I would suggest MIDIOX/MIDIYoke to do the filtering. You'll need to setup a virtual MIDI port with MIDIYoke and route the signal through MIDIOX to do the filtering.

Last edited by JackOnan; 01-18-2016 at 06:29 PM.
JackOnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
TauTau

ok... however this doesn't sound like something I want to have running in a live situation That setup drives me crazy already anyway, I'll maybe check out some other sequencer, but also the Peaveys midi implementation (i.e.=none) factors in on this one, although I love its sound
Old 01-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
JackOnan

Well, you certainly can use MIDIOX/Yoke live. They usually work quite well. But it does add another layer of complexity to the setup.
JackOnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #7
TauTau

So, I played a bit with MidiOX and LoopBe1 (yoke won't install on Win10), and it really seemed to help.the uninspired patch changes on the amp (I could even watch those *without* anything running, just connected an sitting there) are gone. Only in the end of the set (where the Midi track also ends), there's still a patch change, but I can live with that I guess. Will need to do a lot of rehearsal room tests to be really assured though
Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
Fabian

I've been thinking about this... isn't this really a bug with the Vypyr? The Vypyr obviously does not interpret correctly the All Notes Off channel mode message.

Have you tried updating the firmware? It is available here http://peavey.com/products/vypyr/
Old 01-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
TauTau

you can bet that it's a Vypyr bug... problem is, that the Midi socket isn't declared as one, it's only for connecting the Sanpera pedal. What I do is kinda hack, so it *doesn't have* to work
I would still feel better with using the Midi merger instead of this "illegal" Y-connection, but then the Volume pedal won't work correctly because of something stripped off of the CC stream that it obviously needs (I guess the same as here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforu...topic=102792.0 )
oh, and I'm running the latest firmware. I know the hard way, because it wiped all my presets
Old 01-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
TauTau

just an update on this: I activated the midi-merger on the connection again, it gives me a way better feeling to have correct connections. There's no weird patch changing at all, everything, including controlling tap-tempo via midi track works fine. Just the volume pedal acts weird in this setup as mentioned, however I scanned the midi data coming from it with MidiOX with and without the merger and can't see a difference. Seems there's something more happening somewhere where I can't see it, but that's of course nothing reaper has to do with I'll just live withoug Volume pedal control, had none before anyway