Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
gxxfxx
Human being with feelings

Default SWS Autorender batch render regions makes subdirectories

I use Reaper to mix multitrack live recordings, and then split them into tracks by using the SWS Extensions "auto render" feature (I'm using version 2.8.6 built Feb 5 2016). I know Cockos isn't responsible for support for SWS Extensions, but the behavior of this plugin changed as a result of upgrading recently. After marking the beginning of each track, converting markers to regions, editing the project metadata and selecting a render path for the output, I select "batch render regions". Prior to the upgrade, I would see this in the render directory:

01 Out On The Western Plain.flac
02 Losing The Battle.flac
03 Bound to Get Drunk.flac
etc. (where the format is "<track #> <track name>.flac")

After upgrading, I see this (using unix pathname notation):

01 Out On The Western Plain.wav/untitled.flac
02 Losing The Battle.wav/untitled.flac
03 Bound to Get Drunk.wav/untitled.flac

As you can see, it created a directory for each track suffixed with ".wav", and created an "untitled.flac" file which is the actual track inside each directory.

I downloaded Reaper 5.22 with the intention of tracking down the version of Reaper where this problem began. 5.22 worked like I expected it to. But here's the thing: every version thereafter was working as well. It appears that when I saved the project with 5.22, something changed in the project that made the subsequent versions of Reaper behave like I expected.

If I create a new project with Reaper 5.26 and run "batch render regions", the same directory.wav/untitled.flac patterns occurs again.

The untitled.flac name appears to be coming from the Output section's "File Name" box in the render window. I *think* that this problem is happening because the the Output section's "Directory" in the render window is blank now by default in later versions of Reaper. In older versions of Reaper with a new project, it defaults to my "Documents/Reaper Media" directory before saving the project. After the project is saved, it is changed to the project's directory path. In newer versions of Reaper, this is always blank. NOTE: When using SWS Extensions, the Render window is never used -- all rendering is happening through "batch render regions", and the render settings come from the template I used bas the default.

So *something* changed in Reaper, and I've gone back to 5.22 because this feature is absolutely essential for my workflow. I'd prefer to continue upgrading and getting bug fixes, so any help in resolving this is appreciated.

Oh, and one other thing: after using "batch render regions", I get the spinning beach ball of death (I'm on a Macbook Pro, OX 10.11.6). This is new too -- it used to simple open up the window where the rendered files are in Finder, but now I have to force quit it.
gxxfxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
gxxfxx

Eureka! Yes, an empty "Directory" in the render window causes this. The best workaround I have currently is to add "~/Documents/Reaper Media" (or anything that is not empty) to this box in the render window. It my guess that the SWS Extensions do not know how to handle this case, both for how it names rendered files, and how it hangs indefinitely after rendering. Adding this value to the default template will solve this problem in general, but perhaps this bug report will be useful to others.
gxxfxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
bradsucks

Thanks for the update, had this happen to me and your post fixed me up.