Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

View Poll Results: How many sends are you using per project?
0-5 2 15.38%
5-10 2 15.38%
10-20 3 23.08%
20-30 0 0%
30-50 1 7.69%
more than 50 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
TonE
Human being with feelings

Default _____

_____

Last edited by TonE; 02-28-2017 at 01:13 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Tod

Not sure what to say TonE, I just started a project with a client today and at this point it has 58 tracks. That's 58 sends, but many of them have 2 or more sends. By the time I get done with the project, who knows.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Paul99

Oh, damn....I didn't count like that Tod. I counted a reverb to all channels as one send. Then I have to change my poll which is not possible any more.......
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Paul99

I am sorry, I made a mistake by thinking that one send (e.g. a reverb) to many channels was counted as one send in stead of all the channels that are used. But now I understand what you mean. Only the way I understand it now, it will cause many sends. For example I use 3 reverbs: one short, one plate and one long and with these three reverbs a colour my tracks. Counting like this will have you a lot more than 50 sends per project and then I am just an hobby player. What about professionals with about 100 tracks or so? And do you count a bus also as a send, and then times the tracks that are involved?
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
Fergler

Yeah I counted send tracks only, i.e. tracks which exist only for other tracks to be sent to them and processed in parallel or tracks in the project receiving other tracks for sidechain purposes. So I answered 0-5, because I generally send kick to the bass and other bass heavy instruments, vocals and snare to the guitar bus, vocals to a reverb fx track.

All other group processing is done on group folders, which before other DAWs also started using folder tracks across the board was replicated in them as bus tracks so if you count those I'm up to more like 15-20.

Generally I avoid sends because they make the project flow more complex. If I do use an fx track I tend to keep it very close to the tracks that are sending to it, and I don't mix instruments for that reason.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
I count everything as SEND which uses send feature of Reaper.
I am asking, because, after revealing the powerful send technique, so often everyone would benefit.

Can it be said in general that sends are always used to ADD more sound to the mix or somewhere? Any counter examples? And I am asking to understand sends better, in general, all possible concepts.
Hi TonE, "sends" are not something you use just because they are there, and I'm sure you understand that.

I don't have any sends that don't have a purpose, and I don't create a send unless it does have an intended purpose.

Back in the old days, only the most expensive councils gave you anywhere near the routing we have today. And with Reaper, we now have the routing abilities that any of the the old councils, no mater how much they cost, could only dream of.

Before anyone can understand the routing in Reaper, they first have to understand the whys.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Generally I avoid sends because they make the project flow more complex. If I do use an fx track I tend to keep it very close to the tracks that are sending to it, and I don't mix instruments for that reason.
Heh heh, I've seen some of your projects Fergler, and if I remember, you do use a lot of folders, and I guess you could consider that the child tracks don't really have sends.

However, your mixes are good and there's nothing simple about your them. If you considered your folder tracks as kind of a bus, which I think they sort of are, then the sends would be considerably more.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
mschnell

I like to do all effects separately in each track. (I am not doing huge mixes.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-21-2017 at 12:27 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:17 AM   #9
RobU

Quote:
a) 0-5
b) 5-10
c) 10-20
d) 20-30
e) 30-50
f) more than 50

coming from here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=55
As many as are required for the project
Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #10
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

In light of your criteria TonE, I voted >50. Almost all of my mixes these days are in third order Ambisonics and the individual tracks alone each have 16 track channels. Add a bunch of B format reverbs, delays and other FX and it is easy to have so many sends active.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Yes, they need a purpose of course, but you did not mention any counter examples against ADDing of frequencies?
Humm, I must have missed something and I'm not sure what you're asking? Are you asking about EQ?

I don't add any frequencies unless I add another instrument or vocal(s). However, I do manipulate the frequencies and sounds that are there. It's very seldom an instrument or vocal don't need some EQing.

And of course there's all the other types of FX that can be used.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
a) 0-5
b) 5-10
c) 10-20
d) 20-30
e) 30-50
f) more than 50

coming from here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=55
What do you mean by 'send'?

Everything routed to another track is called a 'send' in Reaper of course. And with universal tracks, we don't have restricted bus vs. master vs. source tracks - so it's all 'sends' to 'tracks'.

So the number of sends per project is usually at least 3 or 4 times the number of tracks you have up. Gets into the hundreds pretty quickly.

So what are you really asking?
What type of send use are you after?
eg. Sends to subgroup bus tracks? Sends to reverb/ambient fx? Sends from bus tracks to master hardware outputs?

It would make more sense to ask the average sends/track used I think.
The answer will always be 'f' otherwise.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
4x4uk

yes exactly what are we asking here. By default without sends to aux buses and fx buses every track has a send to the master.

I have sends to groups of tracks for monitoring purposes and by default have send to master track turned off as I use a track as a master bus so I send every track to that plus fx buses etc
so total number of sends rapidly goes way over 50 even for a small project with only a few tracks

Last edited by 4x4uk; 02-22-2017 at 05:19 AM.
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
emid

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
What do you mean by 'send'?

Everything routed to another track is called a 'send' in Reaper of course. And with universal tracks, we don't have restricted bus vs. master vs. source tracks - so it's all 'sends' to 'tracks'.

So the number of sends per project is usually at least 3 or 4 times the number of tracks you have up. Gets into the hundreds pretty quickly.

So what are you really asking?
What type of send use are you after?
eg. Sends to subgroup bus tracks? Sends to reverb/ambient fx? Sends from bus tracks to master hardware outputs?

It would make more sense to ask the average sends/track used I think.
The answer will always be 'f' otherwise.
Exactly what I was wondering...

My current template has more than 130 sends excluding group buses, fx sends, submix bus. Increasing everyday...

TonE, are you obsessed with sends these days, aren't you? hehe
emid is offline   Reply With Quote