Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #1
merlino
Human being with feelings

Default render in a higher samplerate?

Dear musicians

I have a question about the samplerate. I play the virtual instruments by native instruments via MIDI.
I always play in 48khz-24 bit. Now my question is, will rendering in 96khz will give me a better render?

maybe this is one of the most stupid questions for today but I couldn't find a clear answer on the internet and i literally know nothing about sample rates and bit depth.

thanks!
merlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
Xenakios

Unless buggy and/or inferior quality plugins are involved, it's unlikely you will hear any difference.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
DVDdoug

Quote:
I always play in 48khz-24 bit. Now my question is, will rendering in 96khz will give me a better render?
No.

If you are distributing your music, you'll probably be distributing MP3, AAC, or CD... formats that anyone can play, and you don't need high resolution for that. But, for "marketing" reasons you may want to distribute an optional-additional high-resolution FLAC.*

The guys who've done scientific, blind, level-matched ABX tests have pretty-much demonstrated that "CD quality" (16-bit 44.1 kHz) is better than human hearing and you can't hear any difference with anything "better".

There are so many things that affect sound that even if you can hear a tiny-tiny difference in a careful A/B listening test, that's about the last thing to worry about. (And presumably, your listeners will only have one version so they can't A/B anyway...

If you record in 24/96 and you're sending your recording out for mastering (or if you are doing a separate mastering step yourself) it's "good practice" to maintain the highest quality until the final render. And, you might want to maintain a high-resolution "archive master".

* Some artists/producers release will a less dynamically-compressed (non-loudness-war) high-resolution version, but the truth is that CD & MP3 are adequate for the more dynamic release. But it's marketing, so give the customers what they want!

Last edited by DVDdoug; 08-12-2016 at 08:16 AM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:13 AM   #4
merlino

Oh ok, but if I want to make for example a CD, then I can just record in 96 and render in 44.1?
Old 08-13-2016, 02:26 AM   #5
noise_construct

Higher sample rates decrease aliasing effects inherent to most DSP processes by pushing the artifacts out of our hearing range. Many plugins feature internal oversampling, and thus sound fine even at 44kHz, and rendering at higher rate would not result in any gains.

However, some plugins, especially older ones may not use such method, and can in fact benefit from upsampling at render. Compression and limiting (especially when considering intersample peaks) for example are processes that require upsampling- if the plugins don't upsample internally by default, or have the option to do that, I'd render at 96kHz.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
merlino

ok thanks a thousand times !!!!
Old 08-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
James HE

If you are doing any pitch or time manipulation in REAPER (with envelopes or in item properties) Your render and what you hear when you are mixing will be quite different. If you want to go that route, be sure to glue or render those elements. Just something to be aware of.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote