Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
merlino
Human being with feelings

Default Is this the right way to work in REAPER?

Dear musicians!I might have another noobisch question about the way I work in REAPER.
I see a lot of people on youtube and in tutorials routing instruments from the one track to the other and create extra outputs in there vst plugin (kontakt 5 for example) etc etc. But the question is, why is this so nescessary?

This is the way I work at the moment (see picture) and it works fine! if I am done with my MIDI recordings I just create stem's from the midi data to get stereo tracks, a littlebit EQing and compression, rendering and I'm done.

Is this also a good way to work or am I missing something, is there a better way and why?

Greetings

merlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
noise_construct

Using multiple outs from a single plugin is useful when you want to apply different processing to different sounds (typical example is a drum kit, kick and snare usually benefit from treating them individually).

Similarly you might want to use separate MIDI tracks for different sounds, just to make editing easier.

For something like a sampled piano, you only really need that one out/track. Of course you can do all sorts of fancy parallel processing and doubling tricks with track routing, but that's special needs territory and getting good results requires quite a bit of experience.

In the end we're free to use the program in any way that feels good for us, whatever is fast, effective and gives the results you want is the right way. There's usually several ways to do most things in REAPER, pick one that works for you and focus on the music
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

Yep. There is no "right way" except the one that gets you where you're trying to go. I don't use a lot of multi-out VSTis except for SuperiorDrummer, and even then I very rarely split out to more than a couple tracks. You can honestly do all the same things in just one track, but things sometimes get cluttered or weird or you just want seperate faders. I personally NEVER use the "add VSTi" actions that build routings for you. I just drop the plug in like any other and route manually if I need multiple ins or outs.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 AM   #4
merlino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Yep. There is no "right way" except the one that gets you where you're trying to go. I don't use a lot of multi-out VSTis except for SuperiorDrummer, and even then I very rarely split out to more than a couple tracks. You can honestly do all the same things in just one track, but things sometimes get cluttered or weird or you just want seperate faders. I personally NEVER use the "add VSTi" actions that build routings for you. I just drop the plug in like any other and route manually if I need multiple ins or outs.
I'm using studiodrummer now in 1 track and it works really fine! You mean clutterd by overprocessing?

Thanks you 2 for the useful tips!
merlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlino View Post
You mean clutterd by overprocessing?
Well, if it's the processing that you need, then it's not "over" anything, right?

For example, for my live rig, I have an instance of SD on one track. Most of the kit goes out channels 1/2, but I've got a ride cymbal going out 3/4. The ride cymbal goes through an instance of ReaDelay set so that it takes input from and outputs to 3/4, then there's a ReaEQ taking input from 1/2/3/4 and outputting to 1/2 which then goes to ReaComp and maybe another ReaEQ. That's all on one track, and works fine, and keeps the track count down, but it's not as easy to see what's going on or to adjust the relative mix between the cymbal and the rest of the kit as as if it was split out to two different tracks and then mixed through a folder or whatever. Neither way is correct. It's just a matter of what works best in your situation.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote