Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-09-2023, 11:56 PM   #1
Francesco
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper volume problem if I use it with my audio interface (Presonus Audiobox)

I have a weird problem where if I use Reaper with my Presonus Audiobox the external Windows volume is always maxxed out, this does not happen if I use it with my internal soundcard (a Realtek). What I mean is that the Windows Mixer Volume is always maxxed out and it stays that way no matter how much I lower the slide. Any idea why this would happen? When I exit Reaper it goes back to working as normal.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:15 AM   #2
ScuzzyEye

Are you saying that if you adjust the Windows system volume, it has no effect on Reaper's playback levels? Not that the system volume slider is stuck at 100%?

That's how ASIO works. Onboard audio only has the Windows drivers, so when Reaper is using the Windows audio system for playback, it naturally follows the Windows mixer. ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output) is a direct IO architecture that bypasses all of Windows and writes directly to the hardware. This allows a DAW, which speaks ASIO, to do things like set the sample rate, and buffer size, and directly write into that buffer. It's a more "pro" interface.

It looks like the PreSonus AudioBox has a volume knob on it. I use Focusrite hardware, but the same thing applies. I always leave Windows main mixer level maxed out. There are a few applications that I turn down (I don't need loud notification sounds). Then I control the monitor and headphone levels with the physical knob on the hardware. So Reaper, using ASIO is at 100%, because it isn't going through Windows mixer. But also Windows sounds are at 100%, because the mixer is actually set to 100%. The level I hear is determined by volume knob. (I've also noted where on that volume knob, full-scale pink noise plays back at 85 dB from the stereo monitors, measured with an SPL meter at listening position. I'll set the volume there when mixing.)
ScuzzyEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:50 AM   #3
Francesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzyEye View Post
Are you saying that if you adjust the Windows system volume, it has no effect on Reaper's playback levels? Not that the system volume slider is stuck at 100%?

That's how ASIO works. Onboard audio only has the Windows drivers, so when Reaper is using the Windows audio system for playback, it naturally follows the Windows mixer. ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output) is a direct IO architecture that bypasses all of Windows and writes directly to the hardware. This allows a DAW, which speaks ASIO, to do things like set the sample rate, and buffer size, and directly write into that buffer. It's a more "pro" interface.

It looks like the PreSonus AudioBox has a volume knob on it. I use Focusrite hardware, but the same thing applies. I always leave Windows main mixer level maxed out. There are a few applications that I turn down (I don't need loud notification sounds). Then I control the monitor and headphone levels with the physical knob on the hardware. So Reaper, using ASIO is at 100%, because it isn't going through Windows mixer. But also Windows sounds are at 100%, because the mixer is actually set to 100%. The level I hear is determined by volume knob. (I've also noted where on that volume knob, full-scale pink noise plays back at 85 dB from the stereo monitors, measured with an SPL meter at listening position. I'll set the volume there when mixing.)
Oh ok thank you, didn't know that. However I believe the volume is only for the monitors, at least on my interface. I guess when you listen with headphones you lower the gain on the headphone preamp to lower the volume? Or do you lower it in some other way?
Old 07-10-2023, 06:42 AM   #4
ScuzzyEye

My interface has 2 headphone jacks, each with individual volume controls, and another volume for monitors. But that's not common.

In the case of 1 volume control, yes, turn it down when you're using headphones. Also, I only use the 85 dB SPL when mixing. It's actually quite loud for listening to mastered music. It being that loud is intentional to keep the mix level from creeping up. That's why I note the point on the volume knob that delivers that level, so I can easily recall it when needed. I'm far from gluing the knob in that spot.
Old 07-10-2023, 11:55 AM   #5
Stella645

The Audiobox will almost certainly have main volume and headphone volume on separate knobs.
It will either have a picture of headphones by it or will be right next to/above or below the headphone socket.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 05:54 AM   #6
Francesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
The Audiobox will almost certainly have main volume and headphone volume on separate knobs.
It will either have a picture of headphones by it or will be right next to/above or below the headphone socket.
It does have a main volume knob but it only affects the speakers volume, not the headphone volume. For that there's a headphone amp knob I guess, although I find it weird that I have to use that to regulate the volume, I don't think it should work like that?.
I find it very impractical for mixing purposes having the audio interface blast everything at full volume if I use headphones, dunno.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:55 AM   #7
80icio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
It does have a main volume knob but it only affects the speakers volume, not the headphone volume. For that there's a headphone amp knob I guess, although I find it weird that I have to use that to regulate the volume, I don't think it should work like that?.
I find it very impractical for mixing purposes having the audio interface blast everything at full volume if I use headphones, dunno.
Audiobox USB from presonus has headphones volume and main volume so you can mute the speakers for example and listen only to your headphones while you're recording your voice at home.
80icio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:52 AM   #8
ScuzzyEye

Quote:
Turn the monitor volume down all the way when you're on headphones. You'll get used to reaching for the volume knobs on the interface in no time.

That's how interfaces that have separate phone and main volumes work. The headphones don't cut out the monitors. It's also very likely, since they are on separate knobs, that you can also send a different mix entirely to the headphones. (That's why my interface has 2 headphone jacks. They can all have different mixes.) You'd be able to listen in the "control room" to the full processed mix, but send the vocal booth the live vocal monitor so there's no latency. Or just a different version of the processed mix with additional "comfort reverb", or more vocals, or whatever the person wearing the phones wants vs. what you on the monitors want to hear.

Just some ideas on how these more "pro" interfaces work differently than an onboard sound card.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:53 AM   #9
Stella645

Quote:
I don't think it should work like that?.
Would love to hear how you think it should work.
That's exactly why there's independent knobs so you can turn down the monitors without turning down the headphones and vice versa.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #10
King Stupid

Quote:
Top right knob: Headphone volume.
Bottom right knob: Monitor volume.

Use them.
King Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote