Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Boddrick
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER PC - What kind of Specs are we talking?

Hi guys,

I'm saddened to say that REAPER has begun to struggle immensely when I work on my current project, to the extent that I can't realistically progress. It's not REAPER's fault, mind. My PC is a few years old now and doesn't really cut it. The project in question makes use of a lot of instances of NI's Massive (soft synth), plus loads of MIDI items, so it's heavy duty. So at some point in the next few months, I hope to grab a new PC, all kitted out to allow REAPER to run free and frolic without a care in the world.

I will be on a budget though, and I'd definitely be looking at under £1000, so I was hoping you clever folks might be able to give me an idea of the important computer specs I should be looking at. Any specific PC recommendations are welcome of course, but that's above and beyond the call of duty. By the way, Windows only, please. Purely because Macs are just TOO DAMNED EXPENSIVE!!

Seems to me that 8GB of RAM should do the trick for REAPER, although I'd hope to see space for a 16GB upgrade. 64-Bit REAPER can access that, right? I don't THINK sound cards are particularly important for me, since I have an external Line 6 audio interface that seems to have a pretty sweet sound card, with no latency when playing MIDI instruments. And I guess those are the most important areas for REAPER use? If there are any other important specs I should be thinking about, let me know. Obviously the processor could do with being decent, but any 8GB machine is probably going to have a half-decent processor, surely?

Cheers!
Boddrick is offline   Reply With Quote