Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
indianajones
Human being with feelings

Default How does one become a REAPER developer?

I might be interested in helping out developing REAPER, but I don't know how to get involved. I imagine it's by invitation/job-offer only, so I'm looking to see how I might be able to help. Longtime experience with C/C++ in Windows (mostly) and *nix (less).
indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
zoid9

Many, many years of Dromedary School.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajones View Post
I might be interested in helping out developing REAPER, but I don't know how to get involved. I imagine it's by invitation/job-offer only, so I'm looking to see how I might be able to help. Longtime experience with C/C++ in Windows (mostly) and *nix (less).
If you can code useful things, maybe get in touch with the SWS team and start writing extensions...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
sstillwell

Quote:
To be a little more specific...REAPER is not an open-source project, nor even a closed-source community project. REAPER is a commercial product developed by Cockos, Inc. They don't have outside developers working on it...only employees. There is a wide range of possibilities for outside parties to do add-on developement in the form of extensions, plug-ins, and control surface support, so there's lots of space to contribute, but to work on REAPER itself you'd need to submit a resume' to Cockos, Inc. and wait to see if they're hiring.

Hope that helps...

Scott
Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
pixeltarian

you could help by porting klinke's MCU extension to osx.

or make your own extension...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
but to work on REAPER itself you'd need to submit a resume' to Cockos, Inc. and wait to see if they're hiring.
To add to that, I don't think they are currently hiring, because they don't have the job ofter on their company site anymore which they used to have: http://web.archive.org/web/200702092...om/company.php (it was removed after Schwa joined the team, if I remember correct.)

Anyway that link has the specifics.

EDIT: The last point is what you can do to help REAPER, regardless of getting hired or not: "Submit patches to any of our open source projects, or write plug-ins for our closed source products, for big bonus points."
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Paradiddle

Consider writing a MIDI Notation Editor for Reaper.
Paradiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
dasombre

or you could have a look at this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69901

A very cool but not finished extension for walter-theming with a GUI. Would be a veeeeerryy usefull add-on :-)

Cheers
dasombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
you could help by porting klinke's MCU extension to osx.
No need for that. The real Dr could time travel a few years into the future. Grab the mac port and return triumphant.

Next!!

ns[Daleks R Us]

P.S. Bring back v6 while yer at it.
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Yeah, I would definitely check out the SWS extension project! We need lots of help. "Almost" anything can be done from extensions. Several built-in Reaper modules are actually extensions, like the MIDI editor and others. Because of the great community here, I can personally say writing SWS extensions has definitely been very rewarding.

Hope to hear from you,
Tim
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
indianajones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Yeah, I would definitely check out the SWS extension project! We need lots of help. "Almost" anything can be done from extensions. Several built-in Reaper modules are actually extensions, like the MIDI editor and others. Because of the great community here, I can personally say writing SWS extensions has definitely been very rewarding.

Hope to hear from you,
Tim
Tim and others, thanks for the information. I've had a quick look at the reaper SDK, and gathered that SWS uses the SDK (right?). I'll download the SWS code and check it out.
indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote