Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
SlideFan
Human being with feelings

Default Firmware Updates for "old" Icon Qcon (not Pro) / Win7

I am using the "old" Icon Qcon (not the Pro version) and would like to do Firmware Updates. Mainly because it now supports Reaper as well.

On the Website I only find Updates for the Pro version - and their Contact mail adresses dont work.

Question: Should the Pro updates work for my old Icon Qcon as well? I tried updates several times on Win7, each time the Updater freezes during the last step (upload).

Can you help me?

Greetings from Austria
Michael

Last edited by SlideFan; 11-18-2014 at 12:43 PM.
SlideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
dixo

Hi Michael,

If the main (or only) reason for upgrading the QCon firmware is the added Reaper mode, I am not sure that it will be worth it.
I purchased a QCon Pro not too long ago, which has the Reaper mode, but I found that the Reaper mode has very limited use.
The reason for this is: for the best results with any MCU-like control surface (and the QCon is more or less an MCU clone) you should use the Klinke MCU extension for Reaper. This offers much more functionality than the standard Reaper MCU extension. And I found that the Klinke extension seems to work best with the QCon (Pro) in "Logic Pro" mode, which I believe is already available on the (non-Pro) QCon. Using Klinke with the QCon "Reaper mode" maps various functions to weird buttons while the "Logic Pro" mode puts everything in its logical place.

So, before going through all the trouble of upgrading the QCon firmware, try the Klinke extension with the QCon in "Logic Pro" mode and see how that works.
Maybe that combination already gives you everything you need.

For more details also look at this post.

The main thread about the Klinke MCU extension is here.
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
SlideFan

Hi Dixo,

thanks a lot for your quick and very helpful reply.

I am already using Logic Mode + Klinke Extension. Works like a charm (even supports folder mode)- but doesnt use all those nice fancy buttons of the Icon... :-)

Anyway, I guess you are right, Ill stick to my "old" combination.
SlideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
dixo

Yes, folder mode is very nice! The only small issue I had with that is that the QCon does not have a button that (in Logic Pro mode) sends the "Global View" button code (used to move a level up in the folders). So I mapped it to my PC keyboard, but obviously you found a solution to that already.

In my mind there are not many buttons on the QCon that have no function in the Klinke/Logic combination. Which ones are you referring to?
Anyway, the Reaper mode would not improve on that, it just maps the functionality of the stock Reaper MCU extension to the QCon, basically just providing very basic controls.
So, far less than you already have now.
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
IconDigitalUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideFan View Post
I am using the "old" Icon Qcon (not the Pro version) and would like to do Firmware Updates. Mainly because it now supports Reaper as well.

On the Website I only find Updates for the Pro version - and their Contact mail adresses dont work.

Question: Should the Pro updates work for my old Icon Qcon as well? I tried updates several times on Win7, each time the Updater freezes during the last step (upload).

Can you help me?

Greetings from Austria
Michael
Hi SlideFan,

Sorry for the delay in catching this message and getting back to you.

Unfortunately, the original QCon(not the QCon Pro) does not have any firmware updates to add Reaper and Studio One to its presets. That firmware update is only provided for the QCon Pro and QCon EX consoles at this time.

To my knowledge, the only upgrade ever provided for the original QCon's firmware was to add HUI for Pro Tools control.

Thank you,

Rob A
Icon Digital USA
Old 04-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
WimV

Default imaps and other

Dear Icon employee or any other kind user, could someone help me with the maps program for the old Qcon? didn't get it with the device and i think i need it. thx in advance.

Last edited by WimV; 04-16-2017 at 01:47 PM.
WimV is offline   Reply With Quote