Old 07-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
spaceanimals
Human being with feelings

Default reatune vs Waves Tune Lt

I just bought Waves Tune Lt. I've been using Rea Tune.

First: Rea Tune comes free with Reaper and it doesn't require authorization. I found the Waves authorization to be difficult, but to be fair, this was the fault of my virus protection software.

Rea Tune has an autotune function. You can choose the scale and it will correct to the scale. Waves has this too, but it has an odd idea of what an E Dorian scale is. It also assumes, even if the song is in the key of E Dorian, if you sing an Eb you meant to. So, I found I had to go to You Tube, watch a tutorial, and do everything manually.

Manually, with Waves Tune LT, I was able to get my untrained voice in tune beter than I could using Rea Tune on automatic with a 50 ms setting. It took me hours to get my voice somewhat in key with Waves. If you know how to sing (meaning you don't need to correct every single note) it shouldn't take you as long.

I didn't hear any artfacts with Rea Tune or Waves Tune LT. If you sing with a vibrato, you need the full version of Waves Tune which is more expensive.

Jimmy
spaceanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 AM   #2
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceanimals View Post
If you sing with a vibrato, you need the full version of Waves Tune which is more expensive.

Jimmy

That is just ridiculous!

I tend to use Antares Autotune mostly but both it and Reatune are pretty tolerant of my MariaCareymeetsPattiLabelle moments.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
EpicSounds

Last time I used a version of Waves tune you couldn't resize the window and I think there was some trick to getting the audio to be detected.

Is this still the case?

I mostly use ReaTune in manual mode because it sounds good and integrates well with REAPER. Being able to change playhead location without leaving the plugin is such a time saver!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
bladerunner

Give Gsnap a try - free and works better than reatune for me. It's taken care of every tuning issue of I've ever had pretty much.

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm
Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
g4greg

I find reatune in manual mode extremely transparent and efficient for minor correction. I never needed more than that, honestly.

I would leave it at 250ms in the pro mode do keep it as transparent as possible.

Yeah, for someone who can't sing at all, it's not the plugin for you.. but then again, if you can't sing at all, why don't you try to improve your singing instead of trying to fix it when it's beyond repair? No matter how hard you try, a heavily edited voice will always sound... well... heavily edited.

My motto is, if reatune can't fix it, you don't need a better VST. You need a better singer.

Here is a nice little tune I did recently...

http://www.kompoz.com/music/player/5...1?isPopup=true

Let's play a game: try to find where used reatune.

IMHO, reatune is one of the most transparent tools out there, aside maybe for melodyne.... but melodyne is pretty expensive, and has a pretty steep learning curve.