Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default getting an audio file to slow down gradually

Hi, can someone please clarify how I get an audio file to slow down... I have a drumloop and I want it to gradually get slower during the last part of a song. I've programmed the tempo change (as 'gradual') in the Master track, and I know how to change the rate of an item, but it doesn't seem to want to decelerate gradually... any tips?

Thanks
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
BenK-msx

evening. You could use the master playrate but thats global - its a long time request to adjust per item playrate like all we had in the old days so you need a workaround..

i put the item in a reasamplomatic then adjust the pitch envelope of that on the track to suit.

template plus explanation to do so easily:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...42&postcount=8

hope is of some help.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
nofish

or Xenakios' plugin

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=138758
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Mudchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
evening. You could use the master playrate but thats global - its a long time request to adjust per item playrate like all we had in the old days so you need a workaround..

i put the item in a reasamplomatic then adjust the pitch envelope of that on the track to suit.

template plus explanation to do so easily:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...42&postcount=8

hope is of some help.
Ah that sounds helpful, thanks - will check it out tomorrow
Old 07-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
The Telenator
Banned

There's actually quite a few ways to create that effect. I think most users will direct you to stretch markers. You can read up on those in the Manual for tips and use.

The one thing I thought I would mention here, though, is, depending on how long a section you are intending to mess with, I just want to point out that you can create the effect without having to go to all the trouble of creating this long, incredibly smooth slow-down transition.

Right, so a short clip of maybe 10 seconds ... and you want the last half to slow to mud. Cut it in half and reduce 2nd part tempo by maybe 30-40%. Now, cut that in half again and further slow last half of that another whatever ... 20%? Then cut that last part again and reduce speed on new last half another 20%. So, by the last second or half-second, that very last part will be crawling. Yeah, it's not a true smooth log function slowdown, but to listener's ear it creates the same illusion of gradual if you do it well. This is just one of many tricks. I mention this one 'cause it's quite quick to do without a pile of markers and then having to tug them all around.

Don't forget to look into some of the free little plugins, like TapeStop, that will process a full slowdown to zed. WOK may have one along this theme, too. This plug makes it sound like you turned the tape player off in mid-play.

Experiment. REAPER is non-destructive editing. So you can back out if you muck it up. Most of all, have fun! Cheers!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Mudchild

OK, stretch markers proved to be the most expedient solution - done! Thanks for suggestions
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
plamuk

in ableton this can be done on the fly with a tempo change...all audio parts slow correspondingly

i haven't had much luck doing this in reaper with tempo changes months back unless you slice each audio part on the tempo change mark.

otherwise the item drifts out of sync with the project tempo

imo item playrate should by dynamic, changing with tempo changes
if i'm missing something or if i'm incorrect, please let me know.

also, beware of using stretch markers when using the tempo envelope, things can get weird quick
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
BenK-msx

glad OP got a solution:
ideally, for me anyway, an arrange view pitch rate envelope giving smooth pitch/rate slide that is realtime/re-tweakable is the aim, naturally you can stretch and stuff but isn't always what you need.

i guess this could come off as 'but my way is great' - well it isn't that, just think could be useful and the results are what an old time pitch-slider like myself is used to.

so.. heres a gif of the template i use in case my ramblings don't explain so well. - pink envelope is pitch/rate.

Template found here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...42&postcount=8

Last edited by BenK-msx; 08-26-2014 at 03:14 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
zookthespook

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamuk View Post
in ableton this can be done on the fly with a tempo change...all audio parts slow correspondingly

i haven't had much luck doing this in reaper with tempo changes months back unless you slice each audio part on the tempo change mark.

otherwise the item drifts out of sync with the project tempo

imo item playrate should by dynamic, changing with tempo changes
if i'm missing something or if i'm incorrect, please let me know.

also, beware of using stretch markers when using the tempo envelope, things can get weird quick
i just realized that the audio loops don't follow global tempo changes.
This is something that would be great if addressed !
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote