Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
roygbiv
Human being with feelings

Default Using Harrison MixBus with Reaper Tips?

Hi Guys

Any suggestions/tips/tricks on how best to use Harrison MixBuss with Reaper. Use it as a final mixing stage for Reaper generated files? How best to Transfer files? Stem render and import, or link them, etc?

I finally pulled the plug and bought the MixBuss on sale (until March 22), since I've been thinking about going back to OTB mixing (Why would I do that? I need to finish up an album worth of material that's been lingering for over a year, yet I can' seem to "finalize" - paralysis by analysis, too many plugin options. Hurts my 50 year old brain, then I lose the muse).

Thus, Harrison MixBuss seemed like a good intermediate step between all that Reaper can do, and OTB mixing.

So, I bought and tried it last night. After a learning curve stumble, within a few hours I was up and running. REALLY enjoyed the old-school feel of mixing with all the EQ, Reverb and Compressor choices right at your fingertips (evoked old muscle memory). It was actually fun to mix again. Set up your busses, and go. No windows jumping around, no functions hiding behind other windows, etc. Want to change the tone? Move the EQ knob, then go on to your next decision while you are listening to the music. Definitely helped me with my ADD type issues, anyway.

SO, my question is - I don't want to leave Reaper (been using it over 6 years now), so my current thinking is to do all of the original recording, VSTi overdubs, editing, prep work, plug-in massaging, in Reaper, and then only when that is finished do the final mixing with MixBuss.

Hence I'm wondering who else is doing this, and if they have any tips.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments!

roy

Last edited by roygbiv; 03-20-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Mispelled words
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote