Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
fwd0120
Human being with feelings

Default v4.72pre2 - July 18 2014

v4.72pre2 - July 18 2014
+ Track manager: improved 'Link TCP/mixer visibility' [issueid=5255]
+ Transport: avoid edits to be auto-committed in newly activated projects [issueid=5147]
+ Project load warnings give more details about missing features/plugin extensions
+ API: added file browser to generate the C++ API functions header anywhere, added option 'Write functions exported by 3rd party extensions'
# API/functions header generation: if defined, use system env. variables REAPER64_DIR and REAPER_DIR as default paths
# MIDI editor: improved performance when drawing multiple CCs in the asame lane at the same time
+ Custom Menus: avoid excessive regeneration of customized menus [t=138909]

Got one!

Wait, It's the 18th, sorry. Fix it please, dear moderator.
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Astro

Default Broken Features

Just installed and then uninstalled the last beta...cause a major feature appears to be broken and it makes Reaper unusable for me.
I posted about this few days ago, it was probably missed...so here it is again.

I practically never post here these days, but I still use Reaper on a daily basis for extensive audio work...so I know it pretty well.

APPEARS TO BE BROKEN
Just thought I would point out that the left click on the top ruler in the midi editor does not relocate the play cursor to play from that position in real time.
In other words if you are playing a track and in the midi editor you left click on the ruler the cursor moves to that position, but the track no longer jumps and plays from that position...as it used to
This makes it very difficult to edit on the fly, its broken now...it used to work perfectly in reaper 4.62...but since then it has been broken (I have tested all versions since).
I cant use any of the newer versions...as this is a major feature if you want to edit and play spontaneously in the midi editor...and I live in there.

Also as a side issue could the devs please fix the zoom tracks in the arrange display.
When the tracks are zoomed right out...(I run a lot of tracks)if you click on a midi or audio item...sometimes it jumps and that item ends up on the track below or above...even if you have been very careful and steady...it just jumps to a new track when selected as the track auto zooms a little.
Its intermitent...it doesn't happen all the time..so I have to be careful with this, its been like this for a number of years now, I can almost [predict when its going to happen...great if it could be fixed sometime, its been like that for a long time now and no action appears to fix it either.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
v4.72pre2 - July 18 2014
+ Project load warnings give more details about missing features/plugin extensions
Related to this I think it would help if missing project media had a retry option. As I bring projects back and forth between machines using external drives/sticks, sometimes I just need to plug the drive in for it to be found and retry would be better than searching for the file, or aborting the project load and starting again (what I do now).

Quote:
+ Custom Menus
Menu editor: only first selected action added to menus
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=142472

Still hoping for "save as" without interrupting audio playback too (related to performance improvements in the last build).
Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
witti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
APPEARS TO BE BROKEN
Just thought I would point out that the left click on the top ruler in the midi editor does not relocate the play cursor to play from that position in real time.
In other words if you are playing a track and in the midi editor you left click on the ruler the cursor moves to that position, but the track no longer jumps and plays from that position...as it used to
This makes it very difficult to edit on the fly, its broken now...it used to work perfectly in reaper 4.62...but since then it has been broken (I have tested all versions since).
I cant use any of the newer versions...as this is a major feature if you want to edit and play spontaneously in the midi editor...and I live in there.
I already posted it in another pre-release thread lately.
The ruler in the midi-editor is broken.
Mouse modifiers are not working, too.
What's working is clicking on the divider line between the midi arrange view and the cc/velocity lane. Try it. Though i prefer the top ruler...
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

I guess we should rather open a thread in the BR forum about the MIDI ruler quirks, as they are happening in the official v4.71.

Please confirm/add observations here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=142926
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Related to this I think it would help if missing project media had a retry option. As I bring projects back and forth between machines using external drives/sticks, sometimes I just need to plug the drive in for it to be found and retry would be better than searching for the file, or aborting the project load and starting again (what I do now).
+1 on this.

How difficult would it be to have a "use different drive letter" drop-down selector too? Sometimes windows changes the drive letter of a volume, and you need the same path, but different drive letter at its beginning.

Come to think of it, that would be useful when trying to load a project using "File - Recent projects" and the OS has changed the letter of the external drive. Presently it just says it can't find the project path and then removes the path from the recent projects listing.

Does anyone else find this breaking their workflow?

Many thanks...

>
Old 07-19-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
ovnis

All my x86 plugs doesn't work on my reaper x64 when reaper is launched from task bar (windows 8.1 x64).
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #8
Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by witti View Post
I already posted it in another pre-release thread lately.
What's working is clicking on the divider line between the midi arrange view and the cc/velocity lane. Try it. Though i prefer the top ruler...
Yep...I was hoping someone would notice it, so thanks for posting.
Its a major feature really...if you want to edit on the fly and re locate the play cursor.
I agree too..in that I prefer the top ruler too, that makes a whole lot more sense than clicking in the divider line.
I wasn't going to say anything, but when I saw pre release after pre release (even the last actual release of 4.71) and its still remains broken..I thought it was about time to say something.

Last edited by Astro; 07-19-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
(snip) ...(even the last actual release of 4.71)...
that's why I created a BR thread (also because the "mouse modifiers are not working" comment is too broad and needs details):
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I guess we should rather open a thread in the BR forum about the MIDI ruler quirks, as they are happening in the official v4.71.

Please confirm/add observations here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=142926
Please continue over there, thanks.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 AM   #10
bob

I have an unusual problem with pre 4.72 and its this.I cannot open a project in Reaper unless I disconnect from the internet.Reaper opens as normal but will not open a project.I disconnect from the internet restart Reaper and the projects opens and stranger still reconnecting to the net after disconnecting and Reaper behaves as normal.So its just the initial starting of reaper when connected that the problem occurs.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
Soli Deo Gloria

Default WOOW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
MIDI editor: improved performance when drawing multiple CCs in the asame lane at the same time
Justin, this is simply wonderful!!! Now the performance has vastly improved!!!!

* Working in a single lane : With 64 events per quarter note, I created a MIDI item with 3000 measures and I have to say that drawing/editing solely on it it´s now a breeze, at least on an I7-. That alone is just fantastic and I cannot emphasize enough that is not simply a "theoretical" issue; this is of vital importance to anyone who does heavy CC editing in Reaper.

* Working simultaneously with multiple lanes - EDIT : After testing I realized the snap was turned on in the ME and all my observations were inaccurate... Anyway, the improvement is really formidable

Before these improvements, zooming in horizontally would increase the performance. Now the zoom level seems indifferent when there is sluggishness, but anyway we´re talking here about extreme conditions. Now it´s really difficult to get to a slowdown.

Given the curiously scarce comments this topic has received in this community, many could probably ask : "who the hell would draw such a crazy amount of events if most of us produce songs or similar kind of stuff??" Well, I´ll try to give a familiar example... Suppose that you work on an orchestral film soundtrack and you have to write the whole incidental score. Once you work on each piece, then you want to have an overview of all the pieces and see, for example, how CC7/11 or any other important controller behaves across the entire score (maybe to control via MIDI the levels in different sections of the film). By the way, we´re talking about something that could be considered the MIDI counterpart of audio mastering of a whole record. Up until now it was an almost impossible task in Reaper due to the terrible slowdowns of the MIDI editor UI. Now, this and many other tasks are feasible! This can only be welcomed, and even though it will not receive many comments, as usual, it surely is of the utmost importance for Reaper´s MIDI performance.

Infinite thanks Justin (and Cockos in general, of course!). You´ve done it again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by witti View Post
I agree with the ruler issue. I haven´t tried the modifiers regarding the ruler, but I´ll test it in the next days...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 07-19-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Viente

Regarding new sample finder window...Is this empty space really necessary?

Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
Fergler

Quote:
Just installed and then uninstalled the last beta...cause a major feature appears to be broken and it makes Reaper unusable for me.
I posted about this few days ago, it was probably missed...so here it is again.

I practically never post here these days, but I still use Reaper on a daily basis for extensive audio work...so I know it pretty well.

APPEARS TO BE BROKEN

Also as a side issue could the devs please fix the zoom tracks in the arrange display.
When the tracks are zoomed right out...(I run a lot of tracks)if you click on a midi or audio item...sometimes it jumps and that item ends up on the track below or above...even if you have been very careful and steady...it just jumps to a new track when selected as the track auto zooms a little.
Its intermitent...it doesn't happen all the time..so I have to be careful with this, its been like this for a number of years now, I can almost [predict when its going to happen...great if it could be fixed sometime, its been like that for a long time now and no action appears to fix it either.
Jeez, I thought I was going crazy or editing some settings. This has been driving me nuts too!
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
gofer
-blänk-

Schwa already replied in the BR thread about the MIDI ruler quirks . Fix is (hopefully) imminent.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
Regarding new sample finder window...Is this empty space really necessary?

That's where retry goes, unless Reaper periodically checks in the background for the sample to be available in it's expected location (i.e. external drives).