Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
Andrewmsb
Human being with feelings

Default BFD 3

I would seriously appreciate it if a more experienced person could help me. I have the trial BFD 3. To see if what I would like to accomplish can be done. I find similar topics but never the right one in searching on google.
I would like to try (before purchasing for $349) applying BFD to any quick recording in Reaper. What I have is a Yamaha DTX900 midi out to a Steinberg UR22usb into my windows 8 (64 bit) laptop, to record in Reaper. I usually record Midi and apply the sounds from the module. I would like to do the same but use the sounds from BFD 3 to apply to the midi or somehow open up BFD 3 and send the yamaha midi or signal to it in Reaper. Is this possible. Is there more than one way to do this? Can I do it for each individual kit piece i.e. Kick, snare, tom 1 etc.?
I would appreciate any help guys. Thanks.
Andrewmsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
hopi

basically yes you can... but also BFD and most other Drum VSTi's also come with many premade midi grooves ... which you can load onto the track and then further edit if you like.

But yes, surely you can trigger BFD with your own midi track ...
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
fwd0120

As hopi answered, yes what you are asking is certainly possible.

I would like you to know however, when you work that way, I have discovered that the results are rarely rewarding.
The drums sound best with the midi loops they come with (SD2 loops and BFD loops don't usually work for each other and sound too good). Also, it is much more important to build a mix starting with drums, so it is not usually good to just switch the drums like that and see a big improvement. You would need to pretty much start your mix back at zero.

That said, BFD is a good product! I would however recommend EZDrummer 2: because I just cannot live (or rather, it stunts my DAW productivity) without it. The midi organizing and searching and other songrwiting features are incredible. If you get that with a few EZXs, you should be set.
I know that has nothing to do with your question, but I just happen to find that software really amazing.
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmsb View Post
I would seriously appreciate it if a more experienced person could help me. I have the trial BFD 3. To see if what I would like to accomplish can be done. I find similar topics but never the right one in searching on google.
I would like to try (before purchasing for $349) applying BFD to any quick recording in Reaper. What I have is a Yamaha DTX900 midi out to a Steinberg UR22usb into my windows 8 (64 bit) laptop, to record in Reaper. I usually record Midi and apply the sounds from the module. I would like to do the same but use the sounds from BFD 3 to apply to the midi or somehow open up BFD 3 and send the yamaha midi or signal to it in Reaper. Is this possible. Is there more than one way to do this? Can I do it for each individual kit piece i.e. Kick, snare, tom 1 etc.?
I would appreciate any help guys. Thanks.
Yes. We use an Alesis digital drum kit and you can simply open up BFD3 play each drum and it will show you which it is hitting. Then you map it to the pieces you want. You may have to adjust velocity parameters. Calibrating the hihat can be done in BFD or in the Yamaha I assume. On the Alesis we had to tweak settings on both to get it to feel natural.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
Andrewmsb

Default Thanks guys

Thanks you have answered more in one day than customer service from BFD didin 48 hours. I am very leery now cuz their support seems to suck. No phone number listed and bad response time. I will check out EZ Drummer...a bit perturbed now. Any other ones that have good drum sounds anyone can recommend? The BFD 3 trial didn't even have a manual. Because Im new to VSTis I need to learn how to work all this and that would help me achieve what I am hoping to do. I know some VSTis don't support the Yamaha DTX900.
Andrewmsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
hopi

Addictive Drums 2 XLN Audio