Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #401
TonE
Human being with feelings

Can everything in this arpeggiator be controlled via midi hardware controller?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #402
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Can everything in this arpeggiator be controlled via midi hardware controller?
not presently. i'd love to do that, but it would require some sort of OSC support in Jesusonic, which isn't there now. /dan
bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #403
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang View Post
not presently. i'd love to do that, but it would require some sort of OSC support in Jesusonic, which isn't there now. /dan
Not OSC, but Midi CC (unless i'm missing osmething).
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #404
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Not OSC, but Midi CC (unless i'm missing osmething).
ok. i might be able to add some sort of midi cc scheme for everything. hmmm. we are currently at 11 sequences with 32 steps, so that rules out a simple 1-1 cc-value scheme. and a cc scheme wouldn't easily allow feedback to a controller to keep the controller ui in sync with arp!0. so it wouldn't be trivial. ideas on how this might work everyone? enjoy! /dan
Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #405
Banned

Use one CC# as modifier to select between the 11 sequences. Problem size = (old problem size / 11) + 1.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #406
bang

hi prom! welcome to arp!0!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
[...]please make something with similar to Moog 960 functionality ( it seems to me you could definately get your head round the necessary code ) that could also be used in place of the midi piano roll screen
what would this do that can't now be done with the control sequences, within the limits of MIDI and a reasonably sized gui?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
if you ever decide to go with this then please include tiny LEDs that track with the note patterns,
i'm having trouble imagining how leds would fit into arp!0's look and feel? arp!0 is intentionally not skeuomorphic. perhaps small, bright dots could be an alternative way to indicate the current steps. is that kind of what you're thinking?

enjoy! /dan
Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #407
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Use one CC# as modifier to select between the 11 sequences. Problem size = (old problem size / 11) + 1.
is that a scheme that hardware controllers commonly support? /dan

ps- i would *really* like to do this with OSC i think. a high resolution, syncronized touch interface for arp!0 would be so xcool! :^)
Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #408
bang

actually, some kind of selector scheme is probably a good idea anyway: not many controllers have 11x32 faders. :^) but that makes a way to sync the controller ui w/ arp!0 as different seqs are selected more important. /dan
Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #409
Banned

Quote:
is that a scheme that hardware controllers commonly support? /dan
They don't have to, that's the cool thing. It just takes giving up (at least) one controller for that purpose. You make it work as a modifier to select source/destination for all others on your end. Every time a different one is selected (with a slight speed limit, perhaps), you send out the parameters of one of those 11 to update the state on the remote end. That reduces state syncing overhead as well.*
Quote:
ps- i would *really* like to do this with OSC i think. a high resolution, syncronized touch interface for arp!0 would be so xcool! :^)
Of course OSC would be way cooler *and* easier to set up on your end. But apparently there are still many OSCophobes and MIDI-only machines with buttons and knobs out there.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #410
bang

Quote:
They don't have to, that's the cool thing. It just takes giving up (at least) one controller for that purpose. You make it work as a modifier to select source/destination for all others on your end. Every time a different one is selected (with a slight speed limit, perhaps), you send out the parameters of one of those 11 to update the state on the remote end. That reduces state syncing overhead as well.*
so you send controller values to midi out? merged w/ arp output? on a different channel? how do you route midi back to the controller w/out getting midi loops? sorry to be a bit dense here. i haven't used controllers w/ gui so far. although i think TouchOSC can handle midi feedback? hmmm. enjoy! /dan
Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #411
Banned

Of course, you could also use a controller (or better, a few buttons set up as 'radio' buttons, i.e. only one is active at any time *by default*) to divide the number of steps in smaller blocks, i.e. 2 x 16 or 4 x 8, and further reduce the number of controllers. Most controllers have their control elements set up in rows of 8 too, so it would make some sense to go for controlling only 8 steps simultaneously.

Bonus: by overriding the default 'radio' button mode and using them as separate toggle buttons instead, one could then perhaps also quickly edit up to 4 steps in the same time division of each part, which can be pretty useful for typical 4/4 drum-type patterns. I.e. select all four, do something to step 1, and 9, 17 and 25 are following. Select 2 and 4, edit step 1, only step 9 and 25 respond (not 1 itself).
Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #412
Banned

Quote:
so you send controller values to midi out? merged w/ arp output? on a different channel? how do you route midi back to the controller w/out getting midi loops? sorry to be a bit dense here. i haven't used controllers w/ gui so far. although i think TouchOSC can handle midi feedback? hmmm. enjoy! /dan
A different channel is a good option to be able to easily separate the streams, indeed.

Most MIDI controllers don't generate feedback on receiving MIDI, afaik. The ones I use don't (or can at least be configured not to).

But perhaps these questions are better answered by people requesting such MIDI functionality. I really don't know what they hope to be able to do. But I guess that if you expose a few more parameters then it would already be possible using REAPER's native MIDI remote control - which does not have MIDI feedback. I don't know how many people would really miss that (I would, which is why I am rolling my own super-awesome MIDI feedback system using REAPER's OSC capabilities).

TouchOSC definitely can handle OSC feedback. Although you shouldn't necessarily take TouchOSC's capabilities as indicative of what REAPER can do via OSC.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #413
bang

Quote:
But I guess that if you expose a few more parameters then it would already be possible using REAPER's native MIDI remote control[...]
alas, exposing more parameters is quite problematic because the automation and preset logic use the same @slider interface. so an automated parameter is also part of a preset, and you can't tell the difference from Js. this is a significant design fault imo. so whatever i could do would be from midi input only. good ideas though Banned! especially allowing several subsets of a sequence to be changed together. i will be thinking on this. and, as Banned says, input from folks who want this would be great! enjoy! /dan
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #414
Banned

Quote:
alas, exposing more parameters is quite problematic because the automation and preset logic use the same @slider interface. so an automated parameter is also part of a preset, and you can't tell the difference from Js. this is a significant design fault imo. so whatever i could do would be from midi input only. [...]
Oh right (yeah, haven't been worshipping the mighty one lately, I forget... ).

Whatever it is you miss, I suggest you make an appropriate FR for it while Justin is still giving JS's ragged old beard a clean cut.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #415
Anton9

Dan,

I'm not sure I fully understand the syntax of sort transforms, however I was able to create one that does what I wanted, I'm just not sure if I'm missing something. Maybe you could help me out?

Using this as a sort transform and a Cmaj. scale as input

I get this as output.., which is a step-thru of the Cmaj scale in thirds.

My problem is when changing the order.., (down&up and downup) are not giving me the expected output. I end up with this when downup is selected..,

When what I would expect is this.

Orders (up, down, up&down, and updown) all work correctly.
Any idea what is happening? Is it an error in my sort transform.., or perhaps a bug with arp!0?

Thank you
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #416
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
I'm not sure I fully understand the syntax of sort transforms, however I was able to create one that does what I wanted, I'm just not sure if I'm missing something. Maybe you could help me out?
your sortx looks pretty good. you might also try the "progress" sortx, which may do the same thing except for any number of input notes.

Quote:
Orders (up, down, up&down, and updown) all work correctly.
Any idea what is happening? Is it an error in my sort transform.., or perhaps a bug with arp!0?
well, the short answer is it's a bug. arp!0 is not properly initializing the initial direction and position for the order. a longer answer is that the difference between downup & updown is a bit hard to define. other than when starting to play a set of notes for the first time they are exactly the same. and because input notes arrive sequentially, it can be tricky to know exactly when to reset the initial direction and position for a new set of notes. i will make this to work better for the next release. but it will help if you can describe your use case more specifically Anton9: how and when are you initially sending notes to arp!0 that should start playing downwards?

tia! /dan
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #417
Anton9

Quote:
but it will help if you can describe your use case more specifically Anton9: how and when are you initially sending notes to arp!0 that should start playing downwards?
Basically I'm just feeding arp!0 a Cmaj. scale, it's setup to send all notes at once(kinda like a chord) from the MIDI editor. I have arp!0 set to sort notes ordered by pitch and hold notes is toggled on. I then just render to MIDI. When I render using the "down" order the output is as expected, that is why I would assume that "downup" would produce output like in this pic.

Just in case your wondering why I'm doing this.., I'm using REAPERs scale function and just drawing them out in a chord form. Then the plan is to have arp!0 plot them out in 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths, ascending and descending. The purpose of this is to create scale exercises for keyboard and guitar.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #418
bang

hello all! been thinking on automation and remote control for arp!0 & would like some feedback. seems like some things needed for remote control would not need to be automated. for example, Anton9's requested sortx on/off/update bits seem desirable for remote control, less so for automation. a couple of the currently automated params also: maxsteps, offset %. so i'm thinking of making these midi controllable only. will that work for folks? Anton9? am i missing something?

also, am rethinking use of program changes to change variants. Js fx will probably get program changes to select fx presets someday, at which time there will be a conflict. so will likely change to use midi cc's to select variants.

finally, did some research into using midi to interface w/ hardware controller & contol surfaces like TouchOSC. that will work i think, but will be tricky enough i want to wait til 1.0 is done and i do the big code rewrite to clean things up using all the cool new Js features. once that is done new features like richer midi control will be much easier to do.

so, thoughts on all this everyone?

enjoy! /dan
Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #419
Banned

Quote:
[...] would like some feedback.[...] finally, did some research into using midi to interface w/ hardware controller & contol surfaces like TouchOSC. that will work i think, but will be tricky enough i want to wait til 1.0 is done and i do the big code rewrite to clean things up using all the cool new Js features. once that is done new features like richer midi control will be much easier to do.

so, thoughts on all this everyone? [...]
I think removing the possibility of automation for parameters is a Bad Idea.™ It does not mean that people have to use automation, but it does imply that both MIDI and OSC (remote) control is already taken care of natively, and doesn't require additional work on your end (other than warning users "hey, you probably don't want to automate this one!"). With the exception of feedback via MIDI. But tbh, I don't think people like you should be spending any time on getting plain MIDI feedback for remote control to work. Cockos should just *finally* implement that, seriously. Imho you should rather increase 'pressure' on the devs to implement such a thing by holding off on implementing a bidirectional MIDI control feature for what is arguably the coolest JS plugin to benefit the Greater General Good.™

So, for control with devices supporting OSC (like a device running TouchOSC), you only need to expose parameters to automation, and REAPER's control surface support can handle all of it. For those cases, frankly, MIDI is a completely unnecessary detour (e.g. why make it difficult to use more than 7 bit resolution?). I'll be glad to whip up an arp!0.ReaperOSC config file and TouchOSC layout for the controls you're already exposing, so we can see more clearly what's still missing.

(I could also show you a screencap of me using a generic MIDI controller with the default REAPER OSC configuration via a conversion layer? The only thing I have to do to get full bidirectional control is focus on arp!0 and I can immediately start turning the knobs on my controller. Of course the GUI for a arp!0-specific layout should match its parameter ranges and replicate its GUI much more, but it could illustrate that bidirectional control is already working great for all parameters exposed to automation).
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #420
bang

Quote:
I think removing the possibility of automation for parameters is a Bad Idea.™
i generally agree. i am only thinking of removing a couple that really don't seem to have musical application if automated. i guess the real question is whether to make new things like Anton9's sortx on/off/update controls automateable right now? for remote control using midi seems adequate. for automation we can use variants. the main thing lost if those aren't automateable is midi learn. how much of a problem is it to use fixed midi cc's for those things Anton9?

Quote:
It does not mean that people have to use automation, but it does imply that both MIDI and OSC (remote) control is already taken care of natively, and doesn't require additional work on your end (other than warning users "hey, you probably don't want to automate this one!"). With the exception of feedback via MIDI. But tbh, I don't think people like you should be spending any time on getting plain MIDI feedback for remote control to work. Cockos should just *finally* implement that, seriously.
should, yes. will in the near future, though? i dunno. proper automation support for Js will be a *major* overhaul i think. the current scheme of using invisible sliders and overloading the slider/preset logic was a clever hack, imo. but it can't really be extended in the ways needed for good automation. so we're really talking brave new Js2 world, ditching backwards compatability, and lots of dev time. me thinks that could be a while.

so in the meanwhile, what to do? i won't be jumping through any hoops to make midi automation happen. but i *will* be doing a significant rewrite using the new Js stuff. if i see easy ways to support midi automation in the short term while doing that it seems worth it to me. and, aren't you the one who was pushing for support for folks with often reasonable attachments to midi vs osc Banned?

Quote:
Imho you should rather increase 'pressure' on the devs to implement such a thing by holding off on implementing a bidirectional MIDI control feature for what is arguably the coolest JS plugin to benefit the Greater General Good.™
hmmm. carrot or stick? :^) ...and, aw, shucks, thanks very much for the kind words.

Quote:
[...]I'll be glad to whip up an arp!0.ReaperOSC config file and TouchOSC layout for the controls you're already exposing, so we can see more clearly what's still missing.
the main thing missing is the sequence data, all 11x32 steps worth. that's just not going to fit into the current invisible slider scheme. and your clever sequence selector idea just won't work with invis sliders either, because they are also saved/recalled from presets.

hmmm. this might work: what about a dedicated controller Js fx before arp!0 in the chain that would expose sequence control automation params and translate them into midi automation? because the controller Js wouldn't be doing presets at all, we could pretty much do anything we want with the automation parameters. hmmm, indeed.

thanks much for your consideration of this Banned. i might easily haved misunderstood some of your ideas. let me know if i've missed anything important.

anyone else with thoughts here?

enjoy! /dan
Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #421
TonE

Ideas for midi control? Yes, see direct-step-access midi control features of ERA-2 from Sonicbytes. You midi-map the first step to a control as i, all the following 15 steps are auto-mapped as i++. It would be great doing same also just for the next 7 steps only, not for all 15, in case your sequence-length is 8 steps, rather than 16 steps.

Apart from that, make every parameter real-time controllable, if possible, via right-click, midi-learn.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #422
TonE

Quote:
... so it would make some sense to go for controlling only 8 steps simultaneously.
My favourite step length is anyway just 8-steps, rather than 16-steps. It feels more technoid, it has the meditative 2b-length, 2b = 2beat, which is Keykit way of writing.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #423
TonE

For midi mapping use following midi-space:
Code:
cc:  0..120
notes:  0..127
pitchbend
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #424
Anton9

Quote:
how much of a problem is it to use fixed midi cc's for those things Anton9?
That is no problem at all..., oops I guess one small problem, fixed CC's would mean they could'nt be learned via OSC.
It's not that big of a deal however.., so if it's alot more work on your part to allow them to be learned then just go ahead with fixed CC's.., that would still be fine. Oh..., I would'nt mind seeing the MIDI bus selection being added to the parameter list as well if possible.

Thanks,

Anton9
Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #425
Anton9

Quote:
ERA-2 from Sonicbytes.
ERA-2 is kick ass! It's a shame they abandoned development.

Last edited by Anton9; 04-22-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #426
Anton9

Dan,

I just noticed that the following options states do not get saved with presets.
* play/pause with host
* clear notes on host seek
* midi through when paused
* load preset notes

Can this please be fixed?

Thank you,

Anton9
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #427
bang

Quote:
I just noticed that the following options states do not get saved with presets.
* play/pause with host
* clear notes on host seek
* midi through when paused
those are global by design. not things i think we want to change w/ presets. yes? you can change the defaults by editing arpbangzero_settings.txt in the Reaper data folder.
Quote:
* load preset notes
this is "dangerous" so it always defaults to off by design. if these design choices seem wrong, convince me otherwise. :^) enjoy! /dan
Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #428
Banned

Quote:
[...] aren't you the one who was pushing for support for folks with often reasonable attachments to midi vs osc Banned?
Yes, but it's a bit of a dilemma. As explained, it hinges on the desire for proper feedback. My approach would be to assume that power users insisting on MIDI feedback (perhaps only a small number) can probably also use OSC<-->MIDI workarounds for the time being, and take it from there. But by all means, if it isn't much work to add support for it, go ahead - it would definitely be useful. I'd just hate to see it distract you from developing more cool features, while it perhaps also turns out to be duplicative of some more general effort.

My main point was that MIDI is not needed to support something like TouchOSC - your post seemed to imply that you assumed otherwise.
Quote:
the main thing missing is the sequence data, all 11x32 steps worth. that's just not going to fit into the current invisible slider scheme. and your clever sequence selector idea just won't work with invis sliders either, because they are also saved/recalled from presets.
Ok, here's another wild idea: you could use the note-off velocity of notes coming out of the arp to contain a value indicating its step number, and you'd even have 2 bits left... (empty steps would be regular note-on with velocity 0 followed by a note-off with a positive velocity). Using 11 MIDI channels, and select one of 11 sequences at a time, we could capture any sequencer's information at the other end, rebuild it, and keep separate states for all 11 sequences. Could that maybe work?

(Perhaps the only synth in wide use that could get confused is the Access Virus... but you can modify patches to just not use note-off velocity, problem solved.)
Quote:
hmmm. this might work: what about a dedicated controller Js fx before arp!0 in the chain that would expose sequence control automation params and translate them into midi automation? because the controller Js wouldn't be doing presets at all, we could pretty much do anything we want with the automation parameters. hmmm, indeed.
Yeah, modularity FTW. I like this idea.

Which brings me to another FR: setting MIDI channel per step. Awesome for multitimbral synths/samplers (been using such schemes quite a lot in Numerology).

And how about a 'strumming'-oriented (up/down/alternate) timing mode?

[OT] Btw, bang, your next post will have the magic number of an awesome step sequencer!

Quote:
For midi mapping use following midi-space:
Code:
cc:  0..120
notes:  0..127
pitchbend
Imho pitch bend should not be used for any mapping in this case. That would interfere with its regular usage (i.e. applying pitch bend while playing an arpeggio). It should arguably only be considered if there would be some need to use a 14-bit range for any parameter, but even then, (N)RPN CC#'s may be more practical.

The same goes (to a lesser extent, but still) for notes in the (special) case of an arpeggiator. We shouldn't need to use note filters to separate its regular notes going in/coming out from notes used as controls. It's certainly not impossible, but could be a little (too) confusing.

Quote:
ERA-2 is kick ass! It's ashame they abandoned development.
It's also a shame you don't have a hackint0sh partition to run Numerology.

Last edited by Banned; 04-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #429
bang

Quote:
Yes, but it's a bit of a dilemma. As explained, it hinges on the desire for proper feedback. My approach would be to assume that power users insisting on MIDI feedback (perhaps only a small number) can probably also use OSC<-->MIDI workarounds for the time being, and take it from there. But by all means, if it isn't much work to add support for it, go ahead - it would definitely be useful. I'd just hate to see it distract you from developing more cool features, while it perhaps also turns out to be duplicative of some more general effort.
"power users": that would include, uh, me i suppose. :^) to be honest, *if* i do midi feedback it will be partly because *i* want a touchscreen interface to arp!0. and for real-time arping, a touchscreen ui that accurately shows the state of the arp seems like a very cool feature in itself, imo.
Quote:
My main point was that MIDI is not needed to support something like TouchOSC - your post seemed to imply that you assumed otherwise.
only in practical terms because of the limits of the current Js invisible slider automation scheme.
Quote:
Ok, here's another wild idea: you could use the note-off velocity of notes coming out of the arp to contain a value indicating its step number, and you'd even have 2 bits left... (empty steps would be regular note-on with velocity 0 followed by a note-off with a positive velocity). Using 11 MIDI channels, and select one of 11 sequences at a time, we could capture any sequencer's information at the other end, rebuild it, and keep separate states for all 11 sequences. Could that maybe work?
you lost me here. what would this do? my hope is for a touchscreen controller to reflect the state of the sequence steps, not what notes are playing when. and, this doesn't seem too hard really: just a bit of extra logic to queue midi cc output when a sequence step changes.
Quote:
Yeah, modularity FTW. I like this idea.
yeah. splitting off the automation into a separate Js fx pretty much eliminates the problem of mixing preset and automation logic. and we could maybe even use some shared Js mem/registers as a back channel to do the feedback bits.
Quote:
Which brings me to another FR: setting MIDI channel per step. Awesome for multitimbral synths/samplers (been using such schemes quite a lot in Numerology).
good idea. thanks, i think. :^) something for after the 1.1 rewrite. &/or, i am also thinking of a new fx based on merging the best bits of the old Oberheim Cyclone and CK Pattern arps. they are both multitimbral arp+seqs, and might be a better environment for what you suggest.
Quote:
And how about a 'strumming'-oriented (up/down/alternate) timing mode?
wait! stop! :^) not really. but i'm not clear on this one. can you elaborate a bit? ...but only a bit? :^)

Quote:
[OT] Btw, bang, your next post will have the magic number of an awesome step sequencer!
"magic number"? where? 8^O

enjoy! /dan
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #430
bang

Quote:
Ideas for midi control? Yes, see direct-step-access midi control features of ERA-2 from Sonicbytes. You midi-map the first step to a control as i, all the following 15 steps are auto-mapped as i++. It would be great doing same also just for the next 7 steps only, not for all 15, in case your sequence-length is 8 steps, rather than 16 steps.
thanks for the good ideas TonE. i think it's a bit soon to resolve details like this. getting 1.0 done and doing the 1.1 rewrite must come before midi automation. so it will be a while yet. enjoy! /dan

Last edited by bang; 04-22-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #431
bang

Quote:
That is no problem at all..., oops I guess one small problem, fixed CC's would mean they could'nt be learned via OSC.
that seems like a pretty big deal to me, and one i hadn't thought of. thanks! i want arp!0 to be osc compatible, including the remote control bits. so i guess it's new automation params for sortx on/off/update. soon, i hope. and i have fixes to the downup/down+up orders ready to go. enjoy! /dan
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #432
Banned

Quote:
"power users": that would include, uh, me i suppose. :^) to be honest, *if* i do midi feedback it will be partly because *i* want a touchscreen interface to arp!0. and for real-time arping, a touchscreen ui that accurately shows the state of the arp seems like a very cool feature in itself, imo.
[...]
only in practical terms because of the limits of the current Js invisible slider automation scheme.
Ah, gotcha. That does make sense, indeed.
Quote:
[...] to reflect the state of the sequence steps, not what notes are playing when. [...]
Exactly... A slightly more elaborate example may illustrate:

Step 1 = note at pitch 0,
step 2 = note at pitch +12,
step 3 = note at pitch -5, and
step 4 = not playing any note (skip).

When playing notes, they could be:

note 1 = input -12 with note off velocity (64 - 12 =) 54,
note 2 = input +0 with note off velocity (64 - 0 =) 64,
note 3 = input +12 with note off velocity (64 - +12 =) 72, and
note 4 = input +0 with note on velocity 0, note off velocity 64.

While such added information would not require much additional overhead or get in the way of *most* synths playing the arp's MIDI output, a remote controller looking at the same MIDI output could rebuild the first list from the second - not directly of course, it would need a little bit of intelligence at the receiving end.

But of course, using a bunch of CC#s is *much* more straightforward. Just throwing wild ideas out there. (But I should then perhaps add a little FR to add note-off velocity support, just for the Access Virus users out there. )
Quote:
[...] &/or, i am also thinking of a new fx based on merging the best bits of the old Oberheim Cyclone and CK Pattern arps. they are both multitimbral arp+seqs, and might be a better environment for what you suggest.
That sounds interesting!
Quote:
wait! stop! :^) not really. but i'm not clear on this one. can you elaborate a bit? ...but only a bit? :^)
When strumming, all played notes are fired off relatively rapidly after each other, and all note offs typically come only after the first struck note has ended (but not necessarily, with 'muted' strumming), and the direction typically alternates, but may also take account of the beat (i.e. downbeat, downstroke - upbeat, upstroke). Some virtual guitar plugins also have something like it, which makes guitar-like playing techniques much easier when using e.g. a MIDI keyboard.

(Hope that wasn't too much. )
Quote:
"magic number"? where? 8^O
It's one of these three (hint: it's not the one that *almost* reads "2600" ):

Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #433
amenbrother

Default FR: Rotate pattern stepwise.

Ok one more FR. On my Machindedrum, and Monomachine it is possible to rotate the pattern. Its a great way to explore the pattern you made and the possebilities there is in it. Maybe two arrows or something.
amenbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #434
bang

Quote:
Just throwing wild ideas out there.
good. i *like* wild ideas.

Quote:
(But I should then perhaps add a little FR to add note-off velocity support, just for the Access Virus users out there. )
noted. or should that be note-off-ed?
Quote:
When strumming, all played notes are fired off relatively rapidly after each other, and all note offs typically come only after the first struck note has ended (but not necessarily, with 'muted' strumming), and the direction typically alternates, but may also take account of the beat (i.e. downbeat, downstroke - upbeat, upstroke).[...]
also noted, and interesting. this also might be better suited a more purely chordal/multitimbral seq thing.
Quote:
It's one of these three (hint: it's not the one that *almost* reads "2600" ):
oooh! now where did i put my zipper modulated high res filter? :^)

enjoy! /dan
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #435
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenbrother View Post
Ok one more FR. On my Machindedrum, and Monomachine it is possible to rotate the pattern. Its a great way to explore the pattern you made and the possebilities there is in it. Maybe two arrows or something.
could you just change the playback position to get the same effect? pause arp!0. then control/command-click on steps to set the playback positions. good enough? /dan

Last edited by bang; 04-22-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #436
Banned

Quote:
[...] this also might be better suited a more purely chordal/multitimbral seq thing. [...]
Perhaps, yes. It would fit the multitimbral part well. MIDI Mono Mode also seems to have been intended mainly for MIDI guitars and such, using separate MIDI channels for individual notes ('strings') so you can apply pitch bend to them individually.

And on a conceptual level, strumming is related to the concept of an arpeggiator: once you have some algo that determines the order of notes from low to high (or the other way around), it's merely another way of playing that series of notes (chord), not (strictly) sequentially, but (almost) in parallel. Being able to switch easily between those two modes of playing is very useful as a musical tool, as you can then start with playing chords for one instrument, then generate melodic variations on top of that for another instrument, or the other way around of course. The 'loose' timing of strumming chords often makes for a very natural rhythmic juxtaposition to the melodic lines with 'tight' timing as well. One button to turn quasi-random stuff into a halfway decent musical structure, so to speak.

Of course, in so far as arp!0 is a step sequencer rather than an arpeggiator, this relation breaks down (I use the terms 'step sequencer' and 'arpeggiator' as functional archetypes here, I don't mean to imply that they are strictly separate things). So if that's what you're hinting at by 'purely chordal thing', I agree completely.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #437
Anton9

Quote:
could you just change the playback position to get the same effect? pause arp!0. then control/command-click on steps to set the playback positions. good enough? /dan
I think what he maybe wants is the ability to change the playback positions of the input notes for when arp!0 is in loop/repeat mode. So maybe the ability to ctrl/alt click on the notes if possible would be nice.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #438
Anton9

Quote:
those are global by design. not things i think we want to change w/ presets. yes? you can change the defaults by editing arpbangzero_settings.txt in the Reaper data folder.
Oh.., ok this is fine.

* load preset notes
Quote:
this is "dangerous" so it always defaults to off by design. if these design choices seem wrong, convince me otherwise. :^) enjoy! /dan
Could this be added as option in the arpbangzero_settings.txt?
Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #439
Anton9

Quote:
It's also a shame you don't have a hackint0sh partition to run Numerology.
Numerology does look enticing. I might try this.
Are you running hackint0sh, or are you on a real Mac?
How stable is it?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #440
Banned

Quote:
Numerology does look enticing. I might try this.
Are you running hackint0sh, or are you on a real Mac?
How stable is it?
Until the power supply of my 2005 quadruple booting system gave up (haven't found time to fix it, as it wasn't my main machine anymore for a while already), I had it mainly running as a hackint0sh on OS X 10.5.x - but didn't bother with keeping it up to date much since I got a MBP a few years later. For a good while, I've been running Numerology on both machines, often simultaneously (the license does allow that).

Numerology is pretty stable. Since I'm also the type to push the limits of its modular system to their extremes, I do manage to crash it with my experiments (some would perhaps rather call them hacks), but I definitely wouldn't say it is not stable. Imho it's stable enough for live performances, that's what really counts for me. And the developer provides excellent support, he's always happy to look at crash/bug reports and such.

Or are you perhaps referring to the stability of hackint0sh? That probably depends highly on the particular system. In my case it was many times more stable than either of my Windows XP/Vista installs, but did crash at times, probably mainly related to having a mere half gigabyte total memory or so, yet running way too much stuff. I don't remember having issues with it running Numerology at all though.)