Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v5.21pre4 - May 23 2016

+ MIDI editor: optimize performance when navigating large MIDI items while using the MIDI filter
+ MIDI: avoid duplicate note-offs on stop in certain instances [p=1684996]
+ Metronome: fix project metronome pattern not applying immediately, regression from 5.18 [t=177206]
# Notation editor: fix incorrect adjacent-note chord drawing from 5.21pre2
# Notation editor: improve behavior when preventing autodetection of triplets because non-triplet notes interfere
Old 05-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
airon

Well, we can't have two of you posting the pre-thread.

Sorry Timmy, one of them has to go. Flip the coin, I'll get the shovel
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

Well, I don't mind backing down since this was the first time I checked today and just happened to get it so I didn't put any effort in (this was just a public service announcement)

If he's already buried though, keep this one up but i'm happy to be put down instead
Old 05-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
+ MIDI: avoid duplicate note-offs on stop in certain instances [p=1684996]
Still getting some:

Code:
0: 90 3B 60 [Note On] chan 1 note 59 vel 96
1: 80 3B 00 [Note Off] chan 1 note 59
2: 80 3B 00 [Note Off] chan 1 note 59
3: 90 3B 60 [Note On] chan 1 note 59 vel 96
4: 80 3B 00 [Note Off] chan 1 note 59
5: 80 3B 00 [Note Off] chan 1 note 59
"Flush FX on stop" enabled + "Don't send note offs ..." disabled + Track unarmed (doesn't happen with armed track)

FIXED (5.21pre5)

Another issue:

With opened MIDI editor weird "All Notes Off" events are sent between Note On and Note Off messages. Doesn't happen with closed MIDI editor!

Code:
0: 90 3B 60 [Note On] chan 1 note 59 vel 96
1: B0 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 1 val 0
2: B1 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 2 val 0
3: B2 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 3 val 0
4: B3 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 4 val 0
5: B4 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 5 val 0
6: B5 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 6 val 0
7: B6 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 7 val 0
8: B7 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 8 val 0
9: B8 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 9 val 0
10: B9 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 10 val 0
11: BA 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 11 val 0
12: BB 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 12 val 0
13: BC 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 13 val 0
14: BD 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 14 val 0
15: BE 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 15 val 0
16: BF 7B 00 [CC123 All Notes Off] chan 16 val 0
17: 80 3B 00 [Note Off] chan 1 note 59
FIXED (5.21pre5)

Last edited by Dstruct; 05-26-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
EvilDragon

And I've just typed a very decent post on some weird behavior of notation editor with items that don't start from the beginning of the project!

Not sure if I should copy it here...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
With opened MIDI editor weird "All Notes Off" events are sent between Note On and Note Off messages. Doesn't happen with closed MIDI editor!
I noticed this as well, but it was only when stopping *from* the MIDI editor. Did you find that as well?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I noticed this as well, but it was only when stopping *from* the MIDI editor. Did you find that as well?
Yep, seems to be on stop from MIDI editor only.

FIXED (5.21pre5)

Last edited by Dstruct; 05-26-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
EvilDragon

I'm gonna copy it anyways.

schwa - is it just me or does notation editor doesn't behave in the "project beats" timebase like piano roll does?

Example case: let's say we have one short item, 1 bar long, NOT starting from the beginning of the project. Let's say it starts on bar 8, and that it's the only item on the track. In piano roll and "project beats", if we now double-click that item to open the MIDI editor, we will see it fully zoomed in along the width of the MIDI editor. We cannot scroll left or right in the project - UNLESS there are other items on the track.

In notation editor, we can scroll wherever in the project regardless if there's only one item on the whole track or not. This is a bit inconsistent, and can result in unintentional errors (for example, entering events in places outside of the item, which would force the item to be extended automatically, which the user might not want or didn't intend to do).

I can also see that this behavior might be desirable for someone. So I'd say either make piano roll behave the same as notation, or vice versa. And have an option for this auto-scroll-to-item behavior?

Also, notation editor doesn't scroll to the correct bar in case of multiple items on the track (and piano roll DOES do that). Example: have two 1 bar items several measures apart. Say, bar 8 and bar 14. Double-click the second item, that's on bar 14, and piano roll will focus THAT item and show bar 14 on transport. Notation editor WILL NOT DO THAT (the horizontal scrollbar DOES move, but bar numbers don't change!).

There is some really fishy and not nice behavior at play here.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm gonna copy it anyways.

schwa - is it just me or does notation editor doesn't behave in the "project beats" timebase like piano roll does?

Example case: let's say we have one short item, 1 bar long, NOT starting from the beginning of the project. Let's say it starts on bar 8, and that it's the only item on the track. In piano roll and "project beats", if we now double-click that item to open the MIDI editor, we will see it fully zoomed in along the width of the MIDI editor. We cannot scroll left or right in the project - UNLESS there are other items on the track.

In notation editor, we can scroll wherever in the project regardless if there's only one item on the whole track or not. This is a bit inconsistent, and can result in unintentional errors (for example, entering events in places outside of the item, which would force the item to be extended automatically, which the user might not want or didn't intend to do).

I can also see that this behavior might be desirable for someone. So I'd say either make piano roll behave the same as notation, or vice versa. And have an option for this auto-scroll-to-item behavior?

Also, notation editor doesn't scroll to the correct bar in case of multiple items on the track (and piano roll DOES do that). Example: have two 1 bar items several measures apart. Say, bar 8 and bar 14. Double-click the second item, that's on bar 14, and piano roll will focus THAT item and show bar 14 on transport. Notation editor WILL NOT DO THAT (the horizontal scrollbar DOES move, but bar numbers don't change!).

There is some really fishy and not nice behavior at play here.

+1

I think a default option for both would solve all user related issues that will pop up.
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
JesterMusician

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
# Notation editor: fix incorrect adjacent-note chord drawing from 5.21pre2
That was fast =) No hard feelings <3
JesterMusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:00 AM   #11
ELP

"Dstruct: Still getting some: "Flush FX on stop" enabled + "Don't send note offs ..." disabled + Track unarmed (doesn't happen with armed track)"

Yes but generally the behaviors now are really much better than before.
No triples anymore at hardware bus.

Now:
Run FX when stopped enable
Flush FX on stop disable

Hardware & plugin bus single Note-offs

---
Run FX when stopped enable
Flush FX on stop enable

Hardware = single ; plugin =double note offs ! with record aiming or Prevent AFX = single Note offs at plug-in busses
-
Run FX when stopped disable
Flush FX on stop stays enable

Hardware = double !; plugin = single note offs !
-
And now to the problematic setting for held notes again:
Don´t send note-offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset

If USER really enable this and you use PAUSE instead of STOP
Note-offs for open Note Ons never send!!..

Normally REAPER disable Plug-ins after pressing PAUSE but sends Note-Offs for open Note-ons only after pressing Pause again and not before setting the plugin into PAUSE state-Which should be done if you not want to held notes!!
So if some plugins do not flash with PAUSE disable/enable you get Note Stucks with these
plug-ins.
Meaning with Don´t send note-offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset enable..

Which should be renamed to
Don´t send note-offs or pitch reset messages on PAUSE/reset
instead of
Don´t send note-offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset
Because together with STOP this change nothing at the Note Off behaviors.
(for me complete unnecessary setting which can only result into some unwanted stuck notes with PAUSE)

If you set the Track performance option to prevent Anticipative FX or record aiming the Track... plugins don´t disable with PAUSE and Note Offs would be send out correct...

maybe REAPER should not disable plugins with PAUSE
like it do
if prevent AFX at track is enable or the track is record aim together with PAUSE

I find if Run FX when stopped is enable
it should simply behave the same like with the STOP button
So all these problems maybe don´t occur.

Or something like
Run FX when stopped
+
Run FX when pause
option

Last edited by ELP; 05-24-2016 at 02:14 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
Soli Deo Gloria

Hi Devs!

I´ve just found something which I haven´t seen before and it´s really annoying : when you copy a track with automation envelopes, some of them are messed up and are assigned to other FX parameters. And the worst is that when I think I have isolated the problem and save a test project, as soon as I open it again the problematic envelope is already changed, so there is no possibility to reproduce the behaviour (!). Anyway, I leave here a project which has suffered from this :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bo3gqe4m23...roken.RPP?dl=0

The first envelope ("Wet / Mix 8x1") was originally the envelope of the second fader of the JS mixer ("Level 3-4 (db)"). Whenever you duplicated the track, the copy of it appeared as it shows now - assigned to the Wet fader of the plugin -. After saving and opening the project, it appears in its current form and I can´t seem to go back to its original state (even if I load the undo history).

If you need anything else from my setup just tell me; I hope you can find the cause for this behaviour...

Thanks in advance,

Greets.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:09 AM   #13
Soli Deo Gloria

Regarding what ELP comments, I can say, for example, that I am working right now with Reaper sending MIDI to Vienna Ensemble Pro and while stop works fine, pause gives me held notes almost all the time. I have "Run FX" enabled and "Flush FX" disabled. "Don´t send notes off" is disabled...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:34 AM   #14
ELP

5.20-521pre4

musical notation:

if items contain multi channel events, editing or simply selecting within
active mode channel filter other then ALL Channels, deletes all REAPER Notation Meta at the other channels.

1. Draw a few events at ch 1 or with All Channels,
make a slur, note heads or whatever, change to ch 2, draw one or more events or selection, go back to All channels or ch1..
REAPER Notation Meta is deleted

As long you don´t click into the edit area after swapping the channel filter all is fine..
If you make a selection or whatever and went back all REAPER Notation deletes..
and it could be that also all other events gone.
EDIT:
I think something is wrong with the filter because the same "delete behavior" is happen within list view.

That´s ööhm...

notation & list view multi channel editing/filter is broken
little example here: (list view example is shorter^^)

Edit:
a little notation view example

Working with this behavior is for me a little bit impossible..
You have to change only from ALL Channel to whatever ch>1 make a selection and REAPER Meta data is gone..
The Only Filter which is safe is ALL CHANNEL view

Last edited by ELP; 05-25-2016 at 05:56 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Fixing, thanks!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:20 AM   #16
ELP

np
Thanks Schwa.

Apart from this behavior -at the moment-, your DAW Implanation for Notation is absolutely awesome (geil)
Others then other, this can really carry the surname "musical".

Greetings
Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Fixing, thanks!
Any comments regarding scrolling behavior inconsistency between notation and piano roll views as outlined in my post above, perhaps?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
schwa
Administrator

Yes, that should be improved in the next build.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #19
EvilDragon

I'm eager to test the shit out of that particular behavior

Please think about implementing a feature that would prevent ANY view in MIDI editor to adjust the current zoom level, so regardless of the length of the item we focus for editing, it wouldn't change the zoom level at all.

I'm also really REALLY missing a way to have the MIDI editor synced to the arrange view, but regardless of the position of the MIDI editor window - so I can have the MIDI editor on my second monitor, and when I do anything in arrange - zoom or scroll horizontally, or change edit cursor position, MIDI editor would follow that. Current Sync to arrange timebase option doesn't work as expected in a dual monitor setup unfortunately.

It's small things like these, that can benefit certain workflows greatly, where Reaper often doesn't have an answer
Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #20
BenK-msx

What Ed said.

General Navigation and 'view' are the predominant issue whenever I fire up midi editor, which ends up being as little as I can get away with
Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #21
massrapidtransport

Default problem in notation view

Schwa

I'm still getting rectangles/squares instead of notes in notation view.
Reinstalling did not change anything
win 10 x64
reaper 5.201 rev 486e16

Any ideas on how to fix this?
massrapidtransport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #22
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by massrapidtransport View Post
Schwa

I'm still getting rectangles/squares instead of notes in notation view.
Reinstalling did not change anything
win 10 x64
reaper 5.201 rev 486e16

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Go to Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins, and find the file "Reavura.otf", right click it and choose "Install". Does the font install correctly? Try restarting REAPER then, and see if that fixes it.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #23
Dstruct

Quote:
+ VST: better behavior when manually re-scanning shell plug-ins
Could be have an option to disable any (scanning) popups on REAPER launch? I'm getting one each time I start up REAPER 5.201 but can't read it at all because it disappears so fast.

Would be cool!

Last edited by Dstruct; 05-25-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #24
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

Please think about implementing a feature that would prevent ANY view in MIDI editor to adjust the current zoom level, so regardless of the length of the item we focus for editing, it wouldn't change the zoom level at all.
If there was an option for MIDI Editor horizontal zoom to be a global, manually adjusted parameter independent of Items I would be using it.

So as well as the item focus issue horizontal zoom would be (roughly, like barwise) the same when toggling Piano Roll to Notation.

So for example I'm in Notation view, I change the zoom to one bar and adjust something in a chord and then flip to Piano roll and I have that same bar zoomed fully, where I adjust a corresponding CC level. Zoom back out to a phrase in Piano Roll, then flip to Notation and same phrase is filling the Editor.

Sorry for that stupid bit. The horizontal zoom is working like that already!!

Last edited by hamish; 05-25-2016 at 06:28 PM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #25
massrapidtransport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Go to Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins, and find the file "Reavura.otf", right click it and choose "Install". Does the font install correctly? Try restarting REAPER then, and see if that fixes it.
Justin

"cannot instal reavura.otf" does not appear to be a valid font?
massrapidtransport is offline   Reply With Quote