Old 10-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
Gianfini
Human being with feelings

Default Automation SUM

Hi, dunno if this has already been debated or not.

I'd like to have an indication at track level of the actual/real volume - pan level of a track when in READ mode and there is a volume/pan automation envelope engaged + volume / pan trim level.

An example: just take a track with some material. Volume envelope -3db. in addition I push down the track fader another -2db. Total effect when playing equals -5db (you can try and compare with a separate track, same material, fader at -5db, no envelope = same level).

Now if I'm in TRIM/R mode I see fader (and volume number) at -2db as intended. But when I switch to READ I see fader moving at -3db which is still NOT the actual volume for that material in that track.

WHAT I WOULD LOVE is having an ADDITIONAL indicator of the TRUE fader level in this example -5db (envelope + trimmed).

I often forget after some time that I have an envelope on a track and even putting global READ mode the value I visually see are not necessarily the true ones...

any help? am I doing something wrong?
g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Gianfini
Human being with feelings

Default Bump

I recon I've been a bit criptic / not clear.

Will post here below an example

- Impulse item at 0 db
- Volume fader at -3 db
- Volume envelope (track) at +1 db
- Resulting peak (and mean) volume is -2 db. Which is fader level + envelope level

NOW I SWITCH AUTOMATION MODE TO READ

- Fader moves with evelope, so it's +1 db
- Final volume is still -2 db, but I have no indication of why this is it..

ISSUE: imagine a 150+ tracks mix with tents of automation evelopes here and there and READ mode. How can a mixeur understand what is the ACTUAL dialled-in volume for that track (or pan, or else..)? The TRIM level of the fader gets totally hidden when in READ mode!

SOLUTION (A+B):
A. CREATE A NEW "x db" INDICATOR SHOWING THE SUM OF EFFECTS OF ENVELOPE + TRIM FADER ON A TRACK - OR - WHEN IN READ MODE MOVE THE FADER (OR PAN...) ACCORDINGLY TO THE SUM OF ENVELOPE + TRIM FADER
B. WHEN THERE'S AN ACTIVE ENVELOPE ON A TRACK, IT SHOULD BE INDICATED IN TCP OR MCP TRACK VIEW, EVEN IF THE ENVELOPE IS HIDDEN, EMBEDDED IN THE ITEM, ETC.

USE CASE: when editing track 126 (say guitar A) volume in MCP and comparing it to *say* volume of track 127 (say guitar B), I will be able to immediately realize that while the volume fader is *say* at -7db the total effect of fader+evelope in that very moment on track 126 is *say* -12db and I know that there is an active envelope on it (of -5db in this case).

hope it's clear
g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote