Old 10-23-2016, 02:25 AM   #1
DDDan
Human being with feelings

Default OMF AAF support

Before I posted this I did a search for OMF, expecting that this was already a feature request. But it did not return any results, so I decided to post this. hope it is not double.

I'd love to see OMF/AAF import/export support in Reaper. For now this keeps me from doing all my work in Reaper. (Pro Tools does OMF/AAF support, so that's what I use)

I know there is 3rd party software but I always find it scary to have software in between, if it goes wrong you never know who to contact.
(and I had an issue with AAFTranslator once (not with Reaper), where everybody was pointing in the others direction... ;-)
DDDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:05 AM   #2
EvilDragon

It's not only a double, it's posted multiple times already... (Search with Google, since Reaper's forum search doesn't like words that have three letters, needs to be more than that.)

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=41255
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=154354
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=149155
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=103959

It is extremely likely that it won't ever happen since there's been so much effort put into AAT.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
DDDan

Hi Evil Dragon
Thanks, and sort of sorry, but I only searched in the feature request forum, as that's is where I'd expect it. Anyway, it is there now.... ;-)
I am on Mac, so AAT means session->windows-convert->back to mac-work-export to windows, convert to OMF/AAF.
So for me this is means I'll stay with Pro Tools for video related work where I need to use AAF/OMF.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
EvilDragon

AAT seems to work fine with WINE, so you don't really need to move to Windows...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
edwood75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDan View Post
Hi Evil Dragon
Thanks, and sort of sorry, but I only searched in the feature request forum, as that's is where I'd expect it. Anyway, it is there now.... ;-)
I am on Mac, so AAT means session->windows-convert->back to mac-work-export to windows, convert to OMF/AAF.
So for me this is means I'll stay with Pro Tools for video related work where I need to use AAF/OMF.

Thanks.
Hello,

Are you aware of Vordio? Not OMF or AAF but if you the editors are ok with xml exportation, it works great.
edwood75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
Runaway

Quote:
I know there is 3rd party software but I always find it scary to have software in between, if it goes wrong you never know who to contact.
(and I had an issue with AAFTranslator once (not with Reaper), where everybody was pointing in the others direction... ;-)
That's not good - I'd be more than happy to visit or revisit that if you would like - if it was a WineBottler issue we did have issues in the early days but we managed to get the Winebottler dev to make some changes and we now have no issues in that regard.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:21 AM   #7
DDDan

Hi Ed, yep, I found Vordio, that's a good solution if you receive XML files, unfortunately no AAF/OMF.

Runaway: the issues happened two years ago, it was when I received an OMF from somebody working in Vegas, and he used AAF translator, and all OMFs only contained only parts of the audio.
He was on PC in Vegas, I on a Mac with Pro Tools.
It was a nightmare. The people from AAFT really tried to help, but couldn't fix it (within the time for the deadline) and in the end we had to export all tracks as audio files and import all as linear audio tracks in PT.

I have good and bad experiences with OMF/AAF exchanges, and for that reason prefer to keep the workflow as simple as possible, so that if stuff goes wrong, there are less variables that might cause the problem.
So for me it is simple: no OMF in Reaper, then for that kind of stuff I'll stay in PT.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:44 AM   #8
airon

That is one of the eventualities I keep my copy of Protools around for.

AAT then converts that Protools session to a Reaper session.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:45 AM   #9
Runaway

Quote:
I have good and bad experiences with OMF/AAF exchanges, and for that reason prefer to keep the workflow as simple as possible, so that if stuff goes wrong, there are less variables that might cause the problem.
So for me it is simple: no OMF in Reaper, then for that kind of stuff I'll stay in PT.
Most people have had bad experiences with OMF/AAF if they interchange with two different DAWs for the simple reason is that there is no such thing as a 'standard' OMF or AAF. That is why we have spent several years working at reading pretty much every variant of OMF and AAF that is out there.

It is good to note that just because a DAW 'supports' OMF/AAF doesn't guarrantee that any other DAW won't have an issue with that DAWs OMF/AAF unless they both support the reading and writing of all flavours of OMF/AAF - and that just doesn't happen - a simple google search will highlight that.
This is certainly just one of the challenges developers have supporting these formats Reaper included.

It is understandable that you would want to keep your workflow as simple as possible and I couldn't agree more.

While I don't recall the incident you refer to but I can assure you that things are very much better now and I would be more than happy to discuss how we could prove that to you.

Thanks for sharing
Old 10-24-2016, 04:55 AM   #10
DDDan

Hi Runaway, thanks, and maybe it is good to say that in the end I think it wasn't so much AAT to blame, but Sony Vegas, and the guy who prepared the tracks in Vegas.
Vegas does, just like Reaper, 'eat' all audio formats in one session. Although that can be a cool feature, it can also cause issues. The vegas editor had used all thinkable audio formats in his session without being aware of it. (44.1, 48, 96, mp3, multichannel, multi mono, etc.)
And I think that in the end this was causing the issues with creating the OMF files. But because we used 3 different softwares (Vegas, AAT and PT) we spent more time figuring out where it went wrong. (and it was a lot of content)
And that's what I tried to say.
Anyway, I might give it a go one day, but I still have PT, and because I am on a Mac and AAT is only for Windows I would have even more variables: the OMF file, Wine or whatever PC software emulator I would use, AAT, and then PT.
Especially with last minute changes in the video and OMF files that need to be conformed I just don't like that idea. And in the end that is personal. Fully respect people who would choose for such a workflow, I am just not one of them.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:59 AM   #11
Runaway

Fully understand and thanks for clarifying