Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
tspring
Human being with feelings

Default NPR Tiny Desk Contest Entries - Let us hear yours

Here in the US, there is an annual contest held by our national public radio (NPR) where unsigned bands send in videos of performances. NPR has a panel that picks their favorite. You can't reasonably expect to win as there are hundreds of entries, but is good exposure anyway. I thought that it would be interesting to see/hear what Reaper users have submitted. Please post your video for us to see.

I'll start with the entry made by my son's band, PonyBones. The song (a previous version of which some of you will have heard before) is "Adventurous Life". It is about living vicariously by watching TV.

https://youtu.be/1BUCeuA2nAk

So post away...

Last edited by tspring; 02-05-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Tiny Desk contest is held by NPR not PBS. Duh! Had that wrong.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
msore

Love that song and video. Soft touches, cooperation, each musician framing and respecting what the singer is singing. Richly restrained. And the video moved around interestingly, catching looks, revealing something about states of mind in the band. The objects on tables and shelves around the room give color and the art on the walls show personality. The spoon in the cup on the amp was odd though. The songwriting and singing were accomplished, and yet somehow simple. That reminded me of Paul Simon, although I can't recall him playing with cello and steel gtr. The whole arty and friendly production makes me want to go get a couple of cameras and try it. Now if I can find a video tutorial on creating videos, one that does more than say how to push the buttons on the cameras. THnks.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
tspring

Hi msore,

Thanks for the comments. It is always interesting to learn what other people notice and feel when they listen or watch something that is familiar to one's self.

Your thoughtful and detailed description of your impressions really provides a really useful perspective, and will help make future productions more interesting. Obviously we are glad that you enjoyed the music and video. That is the goal of it all isn't it?

Shea's studio is getting more and more work that involves video (although up until now he has only worked on the audio side of the projects), and I think that is the future for most studios.

I hope that you can put your hands on some cameras. It will be interesting to see how the love for abstract jazz that you have expressed on the forum will carry over if you start doing video.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a post that really conveys detailed thoughts and information. Deeply appreciated by myself and Shea.

T
Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
msundh

Well that was so great! Cello and Steel guitar in the same band/song! New to me. Brilliant!
I don't agree fully with msore, due that the drummer was too little exposed
I had to find something that wasn't perfect
Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
smueske

This is so many kinds of cool. Great song, great atmosphere. Hope it does well for you!
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
mschuster

Brilliant! Love the cello / steel gtr. Classy. I watch these on PBS frequently. If these guys don't have a shot, then the rest of schmoes don't have an ice cubes chance in Hades.
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
tspring

Thanks msundh, smueske and mschuster. Mshuster, I wish that I felt like PonyBones had any real likelihood of winning the contest. They are pretty good but, there are a lot of other talented individuals and groups submitting entries. Who knows what the judges are looking for anyway? Shea recorded some of his competition's entries. Here is a link to the submission by Skribe, who is a popular solo performer from Annapolis Maryland.

https://youtu.be/518LtmVEHww

See what I mean about tough competition? Really good and really hard to compare to PonyBones. So much depends on the tastes of the individual judges. This was recorded outside of my son's studio. He ran a long snake from the studio into the street, and left all the gear in the mixing room. Reaper used of course.

T

Last edited by tspring; 02-05-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
BCF1

I also really enjoyed me this Pony Bones tune. Very Nice !!!!

On a side note, does anyone else find it a little odd, disturbing or dare I go as far to say just wrong that you need to submit a "Video" to have a shot at having your "Audio" work broadcast over the radio ?????
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF1 View Post

On a side note, does anyone else find it a little odd, disturbing or dare I go as far to say just wrong that you need to submit a "Video" to have a shot at having your "Audio" work broadcast over the radio ?????
quite
Old 02-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
tspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF1 View Post

Perhaps it's not so surprising when you keep in mind that lots of news and radio providers have an online presence (NPR included), and these outlets are rapidly growing in importance. I'm pretty sure that they're aware that the most used channel for listeners to learn about new music is now YouTube. The trend toward consuming music in conjunction with video is something I think will continue and accelerate over time. When you think about it that way, then you can see why NPR has a "Tiny Desk" concert series (in addition to the contest) which is broadcast over the radio but is also presented in video format online. The times they are a changing.

T
Old 02-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #11
msore

I could use good mics for a Reaper audio, but would a couple of cell phones work for video? Or is that too crappy? I have some movie editing software somewhere that I have never used. I could pull that out, but it would have to take output from cell phones. A way to start, eh?

Music WITHOUT video is a very different perceptual experience. Putting video with music tends to detract from the music, in the same way that movies skew what a book was. In the same way as the difference we all know between live music and studio music.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:50 AM   #12
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
I'm pretty sure that they're aware that the most used channel for listeners to learn about new music is now YouTube. The trend toward consuming music in conjunction with video is something I think will continue and accelerate over time. When you think about it that way, then you can see why NPR has a "Tiny Desk" concert series (in addition to the contest) which is broadcast over the radio but is also presented in video format online. The times they are a changing.
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
Music WITHOUT video is a very different perceptual experience. Putting video with music tends to detract from the music, in the same way that movies skew what a book was. In the same way as the difference we all know between live music and studio music.
I'm aware folks are into video music and that times are changing. The reasoning "T" offered is understandable and sound. I agree that's the way it is and of things to come. I'm not fighting it but feel as "msore" stated, video takes away from creating your own picture and personal relationship to the music. A intimate performance video(like the PB vid) is less distracting then the cinimatic movie conceptual videos. Videos sell music and that's undeniable........ now entering cellphone video newbie land
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
Daniovan

very very nice - I enjoyed listening and watching :-)
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
tspring

Quote:
I could use good mics for a Reaper audio, but would a couple of cell phones work for video? Or is that too crappy? I have some movie editing software somewhere that I have never used. I could pull that out, but it would have to take output from cell phones. A way to start, eh?

Cell phone cameras can take pretty good videos. Truth is, I know practically nothing about video technology but I am quite sure that I will be correct if I say that what is in your head will be a lot more important than what is in your hands.

I have been thinking about your comment that "Putting video with music tends to detract from the music...". Up until about 1890 or so, music was always accompanied by the visual spectacle of the musicians playing. Absolutely nobody heard music without this distraction. So in a sense, listening to disembodied music is an 120 year long anomaly. An argument could be made that music and video that simply shows the musicians playing is "more natural", not to say that "more natural" is necessarily better. Of course, one can always just close his/her eyes, and then it doesn't matter.

T
Old 02-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #15
msore

I suspect that the oldest and purest and most formative music for humans was lullabies. Ain't no visual spectacle, no video fluff, to that. It always ends up with eyes closed, too.

I'm afraid that what is in my head would not fit on a tiny desk. Or not fit into the standard "tiny desk concert" format. But maybe I can play with that.

Who else? I bet there are people out there who want to see XITE's tiny desk. Maybe not.

Last edited by msore; 02-09-2016 at 02:31 PM.
msore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #16
tspring

Quote:

Who else? I bet there are people out there who want to see XITE's tiny desk. Maybe not.

Ehh? I think that I am missing something important here. Or maybe not.

But...

here is another Tiny Desk Contest entry. This one was done last year by an Annapolis Maryland band called Big Hoax and was recorded in a normally unused area in the building where Sweetfoot Studios is located (using Reaper of course).

https://youtu.be/460xcFSr8ww

Anyone else?

Last edited by tspring; 02-12-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #17
g4greg

this is an INCREDIBLE song, and the video is really cool.

I love everything about it.. the cello, the sweet acoustic guitars...

But most importantly, the singer delivers. Both lyrically, and vocally. I really, really like his style.